• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the most you've spent on a piece of art?

Mercy

<font color="blue">never been tagged ... until now
DH and I have just finished re-doing our entire first floor. New everything... now we are trying to purchase some art for our walls. DH is kind of particular about what we buy, he needs it to move/speak to him :) We have a piece right now out on approval, and it's kind of pricey. He loves it, I like it but am not in love with it yet.

We purchased a small piece by a well known artist in our area that wasn't cheap either (absolutely love that one!) and now we need something for over the sofa. Anyway, sometimes I think we've lost our minds... it's not like we are super wealthy or anything. We can afford the piece we're looking at, but it still seems like a lot of money. I keep trying to think of it as an investment piece though.

If the art draws you in. If it sings to your heart. Then spend the money.

If the money is too much for you, see if you can get it in a smaller size- sometimes prints can be purchased in smaller sizes. Instead of a big painting for behind the sofa, how about several smaller paintings or prints that excite you.

To answer your question, the most I've spent on a print was about $125 but that included the frame. I have a Japanese ivory concentric ball carving that we spent I think $300 on. We have some ceramic animals from Denmark that cost a little over $100 each.

Probably a couple hundred bucks although I saw a piece in Disney (gallery at the Boardwalk) that was $1,200. I still regret not getting it although we were saving for a house and that was pretty steep to us. Maybe next year!!!

If you love the pieces then they are worth the money. It is very difficult to decorate and accessorize but if you find things that are just right, then they are worth the price. I have spent several hundred dollars on the "right" piece/picture but then if I add up the money I spent on things sitting in closets, then it doesn't look all that bad.

About $1000 on our Thomas Kincade. Sort of a foolish purchase, looking back on it now.

The most we've spent is around $800. We were on our honeymoon in Kauai, and went into a woodworkers shop and found the most beautiful vase. It *did* just sing to us (I love that phrase, btw). So now we have it forever to remember our honeymoon and to grace our home.

We have some other artwork in our home that my Grandmother painted. I think she's very talented and we love her work, but I'm not sure what it would be appraised for. She does sell it in galleries, but again I don't know what they go for.

I think if you have the money to pay for the art and you love the piece, then why not. You'll have it forever.

Art is one thing I am willing to splurge on. If the piece sings to me I will consider getting it. In the end, good quality art--orginals or signed small edition limited prints are good investments. Some people choose to spend hundreds on a pair of shoes, or a thousand or more for a purse. Art suits me better and enriches my life more. But it is a luxury item.

If you like the piece now and would enjoy looking at it everyday for the next few years or more, you should consider it. An investment piece typically will appreciate if you choose to ever sell. Honestly don't know what we've spent on the individual pieces, but we have several Disney pieces that were between $500-$1000. For the right piece, yes, I would spend more if my needs were met and my bills paid.

Nothing! DH's mother was a professional artist and all the oil paintings that we have in our house were done by her.

I found my piece of 'singing' art and made what I considered a huge investment of about $250... it was just so perfect I had to have it! What I wasn't prepared for was the cost to properly frame it! By the time it was on my wall I was out nearly $1000.00!! My DH was very gracious but I still feel a mix of joy & guilt when I look at it.

i would love to purchase art, but i also love to create my own artwork. everything hanging on my walls is my own artwork from the various art classes i took in college. i just wish it were cheaper to frame things.

I think the most we spent was $500 for an oil painting by a local artist. We got some pricey wedding gifts though. One sculpture cost over $1000. It's interesting but it definately doesn't sing to me.

My DW spent about $750 for a framed animation cel from "The Fox & The Hound".

We spent a few hundred dollars ($250? 350?) on a limited edition signed print. We spent more than the price of the print on the frame. If you do get a good piece of art, a good frame put on by an experienced framer is essential. If the piece gets a wrinkle in it as it's being unrolled, the value will drop dramatically.

At this phase in my life, I wouldn't spend that much on art. I have young children who need to go to college, and that seems more important to me. But I'm glad we got a few things like that when we were DINKs.

Not sure...I've got some Disney Sericels that were in the $600 range, worth a lot more now!

I just bought a piece at a local artists gallery show in Tampa yesterday, beautiful watercolor matted and framed for $400.

Anne

$25 to $100 on lithographs or reprints of my favorite Hawaiian art or Hawaiian-based artists and I also collect ancient Chinese and Hawaiian artifacts from my family. I also collect Japanese art and figurines, like kokeshi dolls and maneki neko.

I paid about $500.00 for a print of Tara, the house from Gone With The Wind, my all time favorite movie. My friends call my house "Little Tara" because of the columns on our porch. The artist is a local artist by the name of Jim Booth. This print sooooo sings to me! :love:

Thousands..... DD is an art student, and we have lots of pieces that she's done, but still paying the tuition!! :rotfl:

About $150. This was at a local art show, it was for a beautiful framed photograph. I probably would have paid double for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter