• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the oldest restaurant you've dined at?

The only restaurant on the list for me is the Old Ebbitt Grill in Washington, D.C. Not on the list is Win Schuler’s in Marshall, MI. They’ve been in business since 1909. I have eaten there many times over the years. Always a favorite.

ETA — A poster further down (Colleen 27) reminded me of another old restaurant where I’ve had dinner — the Dining Room in the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. 👍

Last edited:

Fraunces Tavern in New York City. It’s on the National Register of Historic Places as the site where George Washington met with troops at the end of the American Revolution. Building dates back to 1716, established as a tavern in 1762.

Is that the one in South Street Seaport? We were there May 2019. That whole area is interesting and is being renewed in an interesting way. We stayed in a refurbished hotel there and loved walking down the streets. Kind of far from the action, but that ended up being a good thing for us.

Fraunces Tavern in New York City. It’s on the National Register of Historic Places as the site where George Washington met with troops at the end of the American Revolution. Building dates back to 1716, established as a tavern in 1762.

I have eaten at the Union Oyster House in Boston, which made the list for oldest restaurant in Massachusetts (1826). I have also eaten at Pizzeria Regina (Regina Pizza) in Boston's North End, which opened in 1926 and is the oldest pizza place in Boston.

ETA: I have also eaten at Bunratty Castle in Ireland (c. 1425), but it wasn't like it originally opened as a restaurant. The castle didn't undergo restoration until 1956.
Union Oyster House in Boston is certified as the oldest continuously-operating restaurant in the US. It was established in 1826 and has only had 5 owners in almost 200 years. They also have one booth that was always reserved for JFK. It's on Freedom Trail, just a couple of blocks from Faneuil Hall. We eat there just about every visit to Boston.

http://unionoysterhouse.com/

Columbia Restaurant - Ybor City Tampa Fl... 1905...

Amazing Cuban Food...

by the way there is one in Celebration so if your on vacation, its worth a trip...
Wherever we are in Florida, if there is a Columbia nearby, we're there! Awesome food, and the one in Celebration is one of our favorites, along with St. Augustine and St Armand's Circle in Sarasota.

When we visit our daughter at UCF (NE of Orlando), we drive 45 minutes for dinner at Columbia Celebration.

no idea but one of the oldest in our region might look familiar to fans of the movie 'benny and joon'-ferguson's cafe has been around since the 1930's, has great food (including awesome shakes and ice cream sodas) and is where the iconic scene in which johnny depp recreates chaplin's dancing bread rolls was filmed ('vision quest' also filmed there).

Is that the one in South Street Seaport? We were there May 2019. That whole area is interesting and is being renewed in an interesting way. We stayed in a refurbished hotel there and loved walking down the streets. Kind of far from the action, but that ended up being a good thing for us.

No, though it’s in lower Manhattan, not too far away. Fraunces Tavern is on Pearl St. in the financial district. Maybe you’re thinking of The Bridge Cafe (which I believe also dates back to the 1700’s), near the Brooklyn Bridge? Haven’t been down there in a long time, but I know the whole South Street Seaport area had extensive damage from Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and much of it has been rebuilt.

No, though it’s in lower Manhattan, not too far away. Fraunces Tavern is on Pearl St. in the financial district. Maybe you’re thinking of The Bridge Cafe (which I believe also dates back to the 1700’s), near the Brooklyn Bridge? Haven’t been down there in a long time, but I know the whole South Street Seaport area had extensive damage from Hurricane Sandy in 2012 and much of it has been rebuilt.

That’s right. We actually visited both of these places. Pier 17 was just really opening up when we visited. Right there close to the Brooklyn Bridge.

For me, it would be the Woolworth's in Hagerstown, MD, and the former Red Byrd in Keedysville MD, both when I was a little girl.
My daughter ate at Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham, which has supposedly been there since the 1100s.

I have honestly never really thought about the age of a restaurant? Interesting.

I'd wager it would have to be some restaurant in Europe, but I couldn't name it.

Columbiana in Tampa is pretty old?

I have honestly never really thought about the age of a restaurant? Interesting.

I'd wager it would have to be some restaurant in Europe, but I couldn't name it.

Columbiana in Tampa is pretty old?
Columbia was founded in 1905 (hence, their legendary 1905 Salad tossed at your table) and has been owned by the same family since founding.

Union Oyster House in Boston which has been open since 1826. Good food and lots of interesting history. The building has been in commercial use since at least 1742 but they aren't sure when it was actually built.

The oldest one that I have eaten in was La Couronne in Rouen France established in 1345. This is where Julia Child fell in love with French Cooking. The food was out of this world.

My guess would be that the oldest I've eaten at is the main dining room at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island (opened 1877), with the Boone Tavern in Berea, KY (1909) a relatively close second. I've also been to Old Ebbitt's in DC but that's not in its original location/building so it doesn't feel as old as the "established in" date suggests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter