What's the point of a Birthday Button?

My Dad and son got birthday cards at 1900PF.

My dh and I got the gray stuff the year BOG first opened.

Lots and lots of birthday wishes.

This year, we didn't wear buttons on any of our birthdays.

We've gotten lots - LOTS - of cupcakes at TS meals over the years! And 1 year, at Biergarten, I got an entire small cake.

I have gotten extra FP (twice) and lots of attention and pixie dust. When we went for my birthday, I wore it everyday. Ya never know!

Spent my 41st birthday in Disney in 2013 and it was the best! I did not put my birthday on the reservation but after they saw my ID at check in, I got a Birthday pin. First night I got balloons and dessert at dinner, then on my actual birthday, I got a call from Mickey and Minnie; took the bus to MK and the driver put on the happy birthday announcement. At MK Live with Michael and Kelly was taping and I was in Le'Chapeau getting some ears and they didn't charge me for putting the name on. (also had Michael Strahan shout happy birthday as he was walking on set!) I got to use my FP twice for Peter Pan as the CM let me go on back to back. The bus ride back to POR the entire bus sang happy Birthday to me. Got serenaded in France; Great dessert in Narcoosee's .I surprised my mother for her birthday (in 2014)and we were staying at the Yacht Club and they upgraded us to CL - so there is some pixie dust magic by wearing that pin Now I know these things do not happen for everyone but you never know what could happen.

A CM gave my daughter a HUGE ice cream. Just walked right up to her and asked if she could have it. It was magical!

I will be celebrating my birthday on my trip next week (12-21). I haven't put that I have a birthday celebration on my reservation yet but I was wondering if there was even really a reason to. Does anything special happen? What is the best thing you have ever had happen when you had your birthday in WDW?

CMs will say "Happy Birthday". Occasionally you might get something "free". I've heard of a free dessert in a restaurant or a free candy apple from a CM making magic but those aren't things you should expect. I was there on my Birthday last year & didn't receive anything other than well wishes which was fine.

We celebrated my DS9 bday on a trip last October. He lost count of how many happy birthday wishes he received throughout the day. He was also chosen to "duel" with Captain Jack Sparrow at the end of the Pirates tutorial. I'm convinced it was because of the pin because captain jack mentioned he needed a good challenge on his bday

We celebrated DS's 8th birthday last October. We were staying at CSR and there must have been a convention because on our trip to Disney Springs, there were a big group of business men on our bus. They started chatting with DS and told him Happy birthday as they were getting off (he was wearing his button). We ran in to the same group going back to the resort and they remembered DS and started talking to him about what he had done. They then, got the entire bus to sing Happy Birthday to him! Such nice guys, DS was kind of embarrassed but, loved every second of it and he did say thank you to everyone. After that, while people were getting off the bus, they would say happy birthday to him. It's such a special memory for him!

I got lots of happy birthdays, a signed card from Belle and Beast at Be Our Guest, as well as some grey stuff with a candle in it for free :) .

Oh, and back in 2015 at the HWS animation academy, I went on my birthday, and I talked with a cm for awhile since we both had similar intrests(stuff like kingdom hearts- she noticed a kingdom hearts pin I had and the convo started from there), and the convo eventually evolved into us talking about why they removed, my favourite character at the time(and still is my fav!!), Vanellope from the meet n greets since bh6 hadn't even come out when they replaced her with hiro and Baymax. So she decided to check in the back for me if there was a Vanellope print by any chance- there wasn't...so she drew one. You have no idea how shocked I was- never know when you're going to get a little extra pixie dust from the wonderful CMs!

Last year at F&W, DW and I wore our Anniversary button and received 1 free dessert at Captains Grille, but the real winner was the free Warm chocolate pudding with Kerrygold Irish Cream Liqueur Custard from the Ireland booth at EPCOT.

Dh and I are going to celebrate our Anniversary but I wasn't planning on wearing the buttons (I just like to get them as a keepsake) but I may just reconsider after reading this!

I added my birthday to my dining reservations and got quite a few cupcakes with candles and a card signed by the characters at that particular meal. Even the breakfast ones. My favorite was the Crystal Palace breakfast...we were one of the first families in and they took us to a table that was covered in Mickey confetti, which was awesome! I also wore the birthday button throughout the trip and got lots of birthday wishes, a few shout outs from parade characters, a serenade from the Dapper Dans (although that one might have been because my friend was one of the singers that day), and a couple of times we were allowed to either stay on a ride or got sent back through the FP+ line when we got off (again, not sure if that was due to the birthday button or not). Mostly, it's just FUN!

Just got a lot of happy birthdays - still fun to wear though, they switched up the design recently too.

Over our 8 days in June I ended up with a ton of free desserts and cards from characters at my table for ADRs. At Cali Grill our table was covered in Mickey head confetti and a special card! In Mexico I got an ice cream "mouse" with churro ears that ended up looking exactly like my Yorkie Montgomery (see photo), and at Le Cellier a chocolate mousse moose! I love a good pun hahaha! That said, this is no guarantee (obviously) and your experience may vary.

The one undeniable thing was I have never said "thank you" so constantly in my life! I received birthday wishes from basically every CM, even ones just quickly passing me, and many many guests. It was really fun! A good suggestion - put clear tape over your name once they write it on. I didn't think of that and one day early on my sunscreen smeared it all over the inside of my arm and I thought I had a horrible bruise until my boyfriend noticed it was my pin. I got a new one and a CM suggested tape to make it smear-proof and it worked great!

We went one time for DS's birthday and every CM wished him happy birthday as did a number of other guests. Now whenever we go and I see someone (mostly kids) wearing one I wish them a happy birthday too. They always smile when someone notices and it makes them happy which in turn makes me feel good. It's just a warm fuzzy moment.

At dinner at Kona with my daughter on her birthday. And you can see her button.

DSCN4325.jpg

And then a nice surprise waiting for her when we returned to the resort in the evening. Sort of made her day

DSCN4415.jpg

Sort of just another fun aspect of being at Disney

A couple of years ago we were wearing Anniversary Buttons. Near the front of HS, by the gas station, was a snack service where one could get drinks, popcorn, etc. The 5 young men in front of us were part of an accapella group from a university and were trying to use up the $ on the cards they had been provided by purchasing water, etc. One of them noticed our buttons and they sang a rousing version of "Happy Anniversary to YOU" and the 5th one handed us his cards and said "here... I don't know what they're worth! but you can have them!!" We've been to the world more than 40 times, but that one really was wonderful! It's not just the CMs!

I was in WDW this past February with my friend, and she was celebrating her 69th birthday. It was her first WDW vacation, but I have been there many times. I made sure she got a birthday button on her actual birthday. We were at Epcot that day, and we had dinner at Park Fare. She got lots of birthday wishes throughout the day, from both passersby, and cast members. We had lunch in the American Pavillion, and they gave her a free Mickey ice cream bar. We shared that, and I took some great photos. My friend got a real kick out of how many people said "happy birthday, Diana" throughout the day. She also received a special birthday cupcake at Park Fare.

I will be celebrating my 70th birthday next year, and I am debating whether I'd like to take a WDW trip, or a Disneyland one. My actual birthday will be on Labor Day next year. I remember being in Disneyland in 2006, shortly before my 59th birthday, and I wore a birthday button during my trip. I got lots of recognition, and it was a lot of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter