What's the strangest call you've ever had from your child's school

That another child threw up on him, but he’s fine. Left me a voicemail ( as i was Christmas shopping ) . i called back, are you sure he’s fine. Oh ,yeah, he had a change of clothes in his cubby. ( elementary school) and now wants to do the science experiments and not go home. Umm, ok .
let me think, I’m sure there are a few others

Preschool - Your son has a rock up his nose, but he is otherwise fine.

He was with a couple of friends and they were playing with little pebbles. I guess he really liked one of the pebbles, because he stuck it up his nose to keep one of the other kids from taking it. We had to take him to Urgent Care, and the doctor almost had to put him under sedation to get the rock out. Apparently this is really common with little girls and beads.

I had the reverse happen to me. I am a teacher and one time the office sent a caller to the phone in my room. It almost never rings, so I thought it was important and picked it up in the middle of class. The woman asked to speak to her granddaughter, Brittany. I explained I had no Brittany in my class, but asked what grade she was in (thinking she’d called the wrong class). She confirmed she was in the 6th grade (my class). She was getting super angry asking me how did I not know her etc. At this point I am baffled and all the kids are listening to me on this phone call. She was yelling and I’m not sure how we got to the revelation that she had called the wrong school! No apology. She just hung up 🙄 Yikes!

When my son was younger the school nurse called me to say my son failed the color blind portion of the eye test. But then told me they can't do anything about it but needed to notify me. Not sure that needed a phone call.

I was called once again by the school nurse that my kindergarten age daughter fell in the toilet. Some boy left the seat up and she sat down then fell in. I had to leave work and bring her some dry pants.

I got a call from the daycare telling me they'd shut DD's hand in the door of their van. I asked if she was bleeding. They said no, but there might be broken bones. There were.

On another occasion, they didn't call, but I found out when I arrived to pick DD up that they had missed her at school. The van just left without her. She was in kindergarten. Fortunately, she went back inside the school and told a teacher what had happened. Apparently, the teacher thought she'd seen DD at the back of the van, but it was another child.

a call from the school district's superintendent to inquire about an issue with their emergency alert phone/text/email system. he was new and when the system hiccuped he looked into the file folder marked 'emergency alert system' and saw a post it that read 'emergency alert-call barkley at........' so he though i was the direct line for help. nope-several years before my kids started attending they used the district's bus to be dropped off at their private school but the district couldn't figure out a way to get our info into their automated system (without an enrolled child) so the note was a self reminder for the prior superintendent/whomever acted in his absence to always call us whenever an emergency alert would impact bus schedules.

I got a phone call from the high school principal mid-morning, saying my son never arrived at school. I asked if he was absolutely positive, because I had watched him walk out the door to the bus, so if he went missing between our door and the school bus, I needed to be out looking for him. The guy told me he would check and then call me back. Guess who never called me back, had me in a panic at home, and had ME calling HIM back to find out what was going on? Turns out, my son had been in class all along. Someone had just messed something up on the attendance.

That wasn't the only idiotic thing that that particular principal did. He also decided to no-show for an early morning meeting we had set up with him. When he finally got in touch with me AT NOON, after someone else had had to come in to take over the meeting, his "excuse" was that he had been out late the night before, and he thought it would be best if he got some sleep before coming in. The school had been looking all over for him, paging him, scrambling around to find him for us, because he hadn't even called in to let the school know he was going to be out. I'm sorry, but that excuse just does not fly for me, ESPECIALLY in a high school, where kids get penalized all of the time for being tired and sleeping in. I should have called HIS mother and reported that he hadn't arrived at school.

My son's school called and said the classroom guinea pig peed in my his lap. He needed new pants. Another time he sat down in his chair and the front of his pants ripped. He needed new pants. I told him he should start carrying a pair in his backpack, but he decided that was too weird.

I got a very serious call from the teacher that essentially functioned as a counselor that my 2nd grade son might be "cutting." While I know that is really serious, I had a pretty good hunch it wasn't a mental health issue, but rather a seven year old boy thing. When I talked to him about it, he said his arm itched and he was scratching it with his ruler. When I said the adults were concerned because he was bleeding. He basically said "I know. It was so cool!" I told him not to do that anymore and he said, "Okay." That was the end of his self injuring.

My son was in 1st or 2nd grade and I got a call that he refused to walk forward and would only walk backwards. They didn’t want me to come pick him up, they just wanted to let me know. So I was just like “ok”.

My son was in 1st or 2nd grade and I got a call that he refused to walk forward and would only walk backwards. They didn’t want me to come pick him up, they just wanted to let me know. So I was just like “ok”.
GOOD ONE! My DD12 decided she would only write upside-down, so she taught herself to do it. No call on that one though. She did that for years.

“Your daughter ran into a wall on the playground while playing tag. She’s ok.”

happened when YDD was in kindergarten. She lived through it. We laugh about it now.

Come to the nurses office ASAP. Your son was playing racquetball in PE and another student hit him in the nose with their racquet. Pretty sure his nose is broken. Got there and it was.

I didn’t get a call but my some got a behavior report for putting a lady bug on his friends pizza on a day they were eating outside at the picnic tables. He insisted it flew there in its own. I wasn’t going to argue something so trivial.

....my middle DS, who was very smart [Honors, etc.] was especially good in reading, language arts, and spelling in first grade. He always got a 100 on his spelling tests, but halfway through the school year, came home with a 55/F on a test. Surprisingly I didn't scold him - he already felt bad enough and was sincerely puzzled as to why he had gotten that 55. I signed it [all tests below a grade of 70 had to be signed by a parent] and the next day he returned it to his teacher. About 10:00AM in the morning, I received a phone call from the principal. He apologized profusely. You see, the teacher had the habit of passing out papers and collecting them by row (she'd stand in the front of each 1st desk). Apparently, the girl in front of him had gotten the 55 but erased her name, wrote his name on top and passed THAT test back to him and kept his test. She usually didn't pass those spelling tests and had decided it was time to bring home a 100 so she had switched papers. What was amazing was that a first grader had enough gumption to pull a stunt like that.

Last edited:
They called once to tell me my son wasn’t in school today. I was on my skid steer unloading a truck when I missed the call. They called my wife first since her number is primary or something, but when I got the message I immediately tried calling her cell, then her office where her co-worker answered telling me she was racing to the school. Upon hearing what happened my mom called my dad who then took off to the school also. By the end I think their were 5 family members at the school with questions without even reaching out.
Turned out my son was in the restroom during roll call, but I’m glad he has so many people worried about him.

This call was about me 40 some years ago. I was in the Regents program that they had back then. I wasn't doing very well in biology and my teacher and I had decided that I should take the city final rather than the state final. This happened the year that some students in NYC had stolen most of the finals in almost all of the subjects. They ended up cancelling all off those finals state wide.So I ended up only 2 finals that year. One day I was taking one of those 2 when my parents got a call asking where I was. They started to panic as they knew I'd never skip school. It was my biology teacher calling to let me know that my grade was high enough that I didn't have to take the city final and would get the Regents credit. If I remember correctly The teacher ended up verifying I was in school and called my parents back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter