What's up with River Country?

Last I heard is that there are no plans to reopen RC.

The info posted by several CMs is that the water was contaminated with the bacteria that resides in the outside lakes. This bacteria is common in Central Florida and is the main reason many of the lakes are off-limits to swimmers (certainly its the official reason).

Apparently the cost to de-contaminate RC and make the improvements needed to ensure it does not happen again would be quite high.

When Michael Eisner referred to the water parks in his letter to the shareholders a few months ago, he stated that WDW had two water parks, so clearly RC's future is uncertain to say the least.

A while back I had heard/read where RC was going to be an exclusive "swimming hole" for Fort Wilderness guests. Maybe this bacteria thing has stonewalled that idea.

Also if you plan to go to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach better get there earyly as when they get full no body else can get into the 2 remaining water parks between 11 am to 2 pm on most days. It use to be that River County would get the overflow but not anymore.

It's unfortunate if they completely close it IMO. River Country is a nice attraction that would be a nice perk for FW and WL guests. Closing it would waste a beautiful spot.

Just returned from WDW yesterday & had asked about RC while there because we really enjoy that water park. CM we spoke to said the same thing about the water contamination & also the fact that it was difficult to keep it afloat financially.

I have always made suggestions on my comment cards that RC should be an amenity for FW guests. If contamination is an issue now they should at least open the pool to FW guests. It would be nice to have another pool at that resort & one with slides for the kids.

I can't see a reason to let the pool just sit there.

My guess is that they would at least keep the pool part open--.
May River Country R.I.P.--I always liked it because there was only a short walk back to the top of the water slides--unlike the 5 mile trek at TL and BB.

From today's Sentinel for what it's worth...
Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said that River Country could be reopened if "there's enough guest demand."

Other than the guests at FW who will need a pool, I don't see overall guest demand for RC being enough to bring it back.

FW has two pools besides river country.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the water in river country didn't contact with the water in bay lake.

DR

I do not by the "contamination" theory. After 26 years it is all the sudden a problem.

RC does not contact Bay Lake. The edge of RC is actaully raised to spill over in to it.

Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said that River Country could be reopened if "there's enough guest demand."

If it was a problem with the water, they wouldn't be able to open it up if "there's enough guest demand"

The water from Bay Lake does not flow into River Country. What Dznefreek says is true. River Country is raised up and there is a spillway to allow the overflow from River Country to spill into Bay Lake and not the other way around.

It's kind of sad that the FIRST themed water park is closing though :(

If it was a problem with the water, they wouldn't be able to open it up if "there's enough guest demand"

The water from Bay Lake does not flow into River Country. What Dznefreek says is true. River Country is raised up and there is a spillway to allow the overflow from River Country to spill into Bay Lake and not the other way around.

It's kind of sad that the FIRST themed water park is closing though :(

Last week, when I checked park times for WDW in August, RC showed as being 'closed for the season'. Checked again this week for park times, and River Country was not even listed. So, I went to the Water Parks section of the disney site and.....they only list BB and TL now. Looks like RC is gone for good!

I've only been to RC once and I wasn't that impressed (I guess I've become jaded because of the larger water parks). My feeling is that if WDW has to make cuts, this is one I can live with. But I can understand it's appeal to resort guests.

As with anything at WDW - unless they actually put something in its place, there's always a possibility (however remote) that it could return....

I agree that the big waterparks are a lot more fun for most people. But RC was great for people with young kids and for people who just wanted to kick back and relax. It was also quite a bit less expensive than the other two. Hmmmmm.... (Oh shut up, you cynical self! ;) )

Just got an e-mail from my sister - a travel agent. She forwarded me news directly from a Disney agent. RC is closed for all of 2002. Guess we'll see what happens in 2003.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter