What's with Airtran?

mom23guys2

<font color=FF99FF>Longs to hear....."A table for
I'm really stressing about these AirTran prices. Easter flights from PHL were $269 EACH WAY. I figures I'd wait until they came down but now they went UP to $274. Yesterday all the direct flights out of BWI were $77 each way and the connecting flights were$271 each way. Today many of the Baltimore flights are back to $271 each way(although there are still a few at $77. That's a $400 jump in a matter of hours. Is it just too early to book AirTran and will there rates come down and stabilize more. All this manuvering has me a little concerned.

If BWI is an option for you, you might want to consider Reagan National just outside of Washington. It's another 45 minutes from Baltimore, but you can get US Airways flights for about $160 RT. You can also take United from Dulles for pretty cheap as well.

BWI is already about 1 3/4 hours away(about 1/2 hr our further than Philly. So Reagan or Dulles is just too far. But thanks for the info. I can get him a SWA refundable ticket with a youth discount for the dates and times I need. I guess I had better make that in case AirTran or US Air doesn't get more reasonable from PHL. The cost for either one is higher than I usually pay for three. Oh well, that shouldn't complain when the planes are half empty and they are losing money. They need to learn from SWA.

We ran into the same situation when we were booking flights Pres. wkend. The rates were insane - We could have flown to London cheaper. My DH kept checking the rates a number of times a day & he finally found reasonable rates out of Phila. on Airtran but you have to grab them fast. A couple of hours later they're gone. Good luck.
pgjam in PA:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

How about trying Spirit out of Atlantic City? One of my friends has a son whose a captain for Spirit, so of course she uses them all the time & she says the AC airport is great!

Thanks JKLLady, We live close to AC and are taking Spirit ourselves. This flight is for my son who is in college in PA. Since the week after Easter is his last full week of classes he really doesn't want to miss any, so it's Friday morning until Monday morning for him. Since he has a Monday afternoon class he can't be that far from the airport. Even with just a carry-on it still takes a while to get to his car, etc. AirTran and Us Airways have great times but ridiculous costs. SWA is a little farther but I can get him tickets at close to the times we need. Even fully refundable tickets are $250-$300 less than out of PHL. I know a friend of ours was able to get a great price for Thanksgiving weekend(Wed-Sun) with Airtran about three weeks before the flight-but you never know.

Where does your son go to school in PA? Is it in Philly? Lehigh Valley Int'l airport may be another alternative to try, especially SE Airlines. With the right traffic conditions, the airport is only an hour away from Philadelphia. To check out fares, you have to go to SE's website, www.flyseal.com.

Sharon

Unfortunately I think the problem is the fact that it's Easter weekend. Holiday weekends are high demand and ANY flights are going to be expensive.

AirTran used to have a program called X-Fares designed for college students. It was low-cost, last-minute tickets for college age travellers. Does AirTran still have this program? It's been a while since I've heard anything about it.

Will usair still be in business by April? My friend has been a pilot for USAir for 19 years, his last day will be in January. They have been cutting back, back, back and his time is up. SW also has accumlated alot of their gates at BWI?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter