What's your amazing safari story?

Oh we've had so many great safari rides. On our last trip we had one of the birds chase down the black rhino. It ran like crazy! It did not want to get caught by that bird! We also saw the male lion rolling around on his back that time. Our driver didn't stop at all so I couldn't snap a picture quick enough. :(

MY FAVORITE time was when we saw the baby elephant and a young one playing in the water. I love elephants so it was great for me. The driver was awesome and stopped so we could get some great pictures. It was pretty awesome. :woohoo:

PJfJrXpl.jpg

ajwtSsEl.jpg

Last June the female lion was at the top of the rock and the male lion was on rock just below her. The female decided to get down from her rock and stepped right on the male's head! He let out a very loud roar to express his annoyance. She turned and roared right back as if to say "get over it". It was awesome and the first time I've ever seen the lions do anything!

Not amazing, but funny. My husband actually fell asleep on the Safari! I have no idea how that was possible other than we were on Day 4 of our trip and he had enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine with lunch. It has been a running joke in our family for several years now. Best place to nap at Animal Kingdom? Kiliminjaro Safaris!

Ha! Our then 16 month old was 2 for 2 on falling asleep on the safari! He also fell asleep on the great movie ride :)

Our last Safari ride in December was the best ever. All the animals were out and about. The driver was AMAZING. He took his time, he stopped a lot, he really knew his stuff and was interesting to listen to. Loved it! I sent an email telling WDW about it and mentioned him by name. Best part of the safari was learning where baby giraffes come from. Very up close and personal. The driver pointed out giraffe in the opposite direction………. :rotfl:

We found out where baby lions come from on our trip!!!

In an effort to create a feel-good thread about an attraction, I wanted to throw one out there to ask everyone to share their favorite Kilimanjaro Safari experience.

NOT at AK, but at the San Diego Safari Park: saw a giraffe being born. yeah Mom stands up and just squeezes junior out to drop . on another visit saw one of the smaller gazelles give birth as well. both times the tram operator waited until he got yelled at over the radio to get going as he was holding up the rest of the vehicles.

on one of the up close and personal visits( small truck right down amongst the animals) one of the Ostriches decided he REALLY wanted the driver's hat.

at Kilamanjaro we saw some reproduction going on in a few species. and a game of tag with a bunch of juvenile gazelles.

A few years ago, I had my sister's grandson with me and he was busy looking at all the animals ( some only he could see) and he was talking a mile a minute and when he turned around to look out the other side of the jeep, he could have bumped noses with a giraffe...it was amazing ..he laughed after he got over being stunned...

We had a great driver who found us all the animals we wanted to see. Several giraffes, some elephants, lions, zebra..it was awesome. The zebra got so close to the side of the truck that we could almost reach out and touch them.

The last trip we were flanked by giraffes on each side. I could've touched them. Really wanted to.

Do you get thrown out of the park if yoh do?

Not that I'm planning a future trip or anything :rolleyes1

I'd like to know this answer too as we have had some close encounters.

I remember the first time we did the Safari ride, it was probably right after Animal Kingdom was built. We went early in the morning, and I don't think we saw a single animal.

We have been to Animal Kingdom several times since then. We do the Safari ride every time and it gets better every time.

If you have the time and money, I would highly suggest that you take the Backstage Safari Tour. We (DH & myself) took it on our last trip to Animal Kingdom the last week of January. It was definitely the highlight of our entire trip. There were 8 people on the tour. Our guides Mel & Chris were awesome. It is a 3 hour tour, we saw where the animals meals are prepared, we saw where they are cared for, we got to visit the building where the Hippos stay at night and talked to one of the handlers. The last thing on the tour was the Safari ride, personally narrated by Mel & Chris. Our group had the entire safari truck to ourselves and were able to ask any questions we wanted. It was a very cool and rainy day, most of the animals were ready to go inside so we learned a new term, that the animals were "gate hugging". The entire tour was very educational.

DH enjoyed it so much, he wants to do it again on a future trip. He wants to come up with some good questions to ask, because we were so in awe that we didn't know what to ask.

About three years ago my family's vehicle helped save a baby elephant that had been captured by poachers.

And, would you believe it, but the same thing happened the next time we went to AK as well. ;)

Does that tour cost anything? I think I would love to do that..

The Backstage Safari tour is $72.00 per person. I believe they will only take adults. If you have an AP, you can get a discount (20% I believe). Part of the money for the tour is donated to their conservation fund.

A few weeks ago, on Kilimanjaro, we saw a male lion, uh, getting his jimmies on with the female lion.

Funny moment happend to my family not during the safari, but afterwards. We were at AK the year it opened in June and went on it about 4 times that. This was before FP was even around so we did a lot of waiting. But on our last safari ride of the day, we got off and a CM came up to us and handed my sister a napkin and said, "You got pooh on your shirt." We all looked around confused thinking how in the word did she get pooh on her shirt from one of the animals. As we kept walking past him we realized my sister had on a Winnie the Pooh tank top. We all got a good laugh from that.

Having been on the Safari too many times to count, we all watched in amazement at one of the Hippos was standing out of the water all the way to the right side, near the wall-- when BAM! the most explosive and disgusting loose bowel shot out in all directions on to the wall of rock. To this having some bad diarrhea in our household is referred to as a "hippo problem".

Having been on the Safari too many times to count, we all watched in amazement at one of the Hippos was standing out of the water all the way to the right side, near the wall-- when BAM! the most explosive and disgusting loose bowel shot out in all directions on to the wall of rock. To this having some bad diarrhea in our household is referred to as a "hippo problem".

We learned on the Backstage Safari Tour, that's what hippos do, I believe he said especially the males. They use their tails to help spread it around. It is much like a dog marking their territory. The handler we talked to at the hippo house says it's not very pleasant when you come in very early in the morning and have to clean the walls of the hippo pens.

I drove the safari trucks for a year and a half. During the time I was there, there were 2 or 3 baby elephants born. I remember watching one of the little ones, over the course of about a month, as she discovered the water hole. The first day, she went up to it, dipped a toe in, and ran away. A few days later, she was to the point where she would dip her trunk in and swish around for about 10 seconds .. then run away. Finally, after about 3 weeks, I saw her run up to the watering hole, jump in, and start excitedly splashing around and stay in the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter