• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your favorite/most unusual dinner???

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
I am so bored with our meals around here. I feel like I only rotate through about 10 different meals. I'm looking for some ideas to help break the monotony. You don't need to provide a recipe - unless you'd like to, of course!
;)
It can be something as simple as Chicken Helper - Fried Rice flavor (a favorite around here) or a Disney meal!

So the question is:

What is your favorite thing to make for dinner (besides reservations:D!) - or the most unusual meal you prepare?

Thanks!

d

in my family my mother made something she called rivvles. i love these things. very easy to make. all you need is chicken broth..... mix 1 cup of flour, one egg, salt and pepper (just a dash of each)- mix till it is crumbly. then simmer in the chicken broth till they are cooked through. they are kinda like mini chicken dumplings.

DH's favorite is ravioli or tortellini with marinera sauce on top. You can buy them in the refrigerated case at the store, and they're really not that bad (much better than the frozen stuff). He also likes canned beef stew that I make more interesting by adding frozen peas, worchestershire sauce, and marjoram, over canned biscuits.

I like food that's a bit healthier, but those are good standby's when I'm tired. :)

My mom made Cabbage Pockets. First you brown hamburger, draaain and set aside. Chop cabbage and onions, cook in large pot until cabbage is tender ( I usually use the grease from the hamburger). mix the cabbage and hamburger. Prepare Hot Roll mix ( I usually use Pilsbury) roll out until 1/8 th inch thick, cut into squares, put some of the cabbage mixture in the middle of a square, fold the corners in and flip onto a baking sheet. Bake @ 350 until golden brown. I put mushrooms in them sometimes cheese. It all depends on your taste. Some people dip them into ketchup or mustard. I have never had the recipe I've just remember watching my mom make them.

My kids love Goldenrod Eggs which is actually a breakfast/brunch dish that we eat for supper.
The kids can help with this one.

Shell enough hard boiled eggs for approx 2/person. Seperate the whites from yolks. Chop whites and either break apart the yolks with a fork or grind in a hand held nut grinder (will resemble the yellow flower of the goldenrod plant).

Make a white sauce in the microwave and add a few slices of American cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until melted. For 4 people you will need approx 2-3 cups of sauce. Add whites to sauce to warm them up.

Serve sauce over lightly toasted bread and top with a spoonful or two of yolks.

Very filling meal and very easy to make.

When I dont feel like cooking a big meal after work, I just make omelets. Chop up what ever is left over in the frig, and throw in some onions and cheese, and you are done. DH isnt a picky eater so this works just fine!

Okay, this is weird but you either like it or you don't. When the kids were little we came up with what DD called MacPeaTun. Mac and cheese with peas and tuna mixed in. DH hates it so whenever he is out of town all I ever hear when I ask whatcha want for dinner is MacPeaTun.

I warned you it was weird but it is quick and easy and NOT pizza!!

TK

Tiggerkeeper - that's not weird! As a matter of fact a similar recipe used to be on the back of the kraft macaroni box. You would add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, tuna and peas.

That was one of my favorite college year comfort foods. Upon occasion when my husband isn't going to be home for dinner I will make it for myself. The kids won't eat it yet, but they do love the plain macaroni and cheese.

Thanks for all the great ideas! I've been out of work all summer (so has DH) and I realized what a rut we've gotten into with our meals. Before, the excuse was NO TIME! Now that I'm not working, however, I have plenty of time to cook.

There are a few problems such as DD won't eat cabbage, NO one will eat hot tuna, DS won't eat anything with mayo (AUGH!) as well as things I can no longer buy - such as ham loaf. In addition to giving me new recipes, you've reminded me of some that I just plain forgot about.

Thanks again!

d
:D

we like to make a big pan of baked ziti.. it's cheap, it's easy and it is SOOOOO good :)

Ziti, cheese and sauce (and some hamburger in the sauce if you are feeling frisky ;) ).. served with a side salad and some garlic bread..

We figure this lasts us 4 meals.. (2dinners and 2 lunches - depending on how you cut it!) and is about $2.00 per meal

:)
beth

When we are pressed for time or just kind've lazy we have breakfast for supper!! Scambled eggs, toast and blueberry pancakes! It is quick and easy and we always have the necessary ingredients- you can' t beat that! I have also made a chicken casserole -Take cooked cubed chicken and mix with a can of mushroom soup and one cup of frozen veggies season with pepper. Top with one box of stove top stuffing that you have prepared on the stove and cook at 350 until it hot and bubbly. Tastes great! Grover in Winnipeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter