• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your supply chain issue? How's this one for a start?

I’m another with a car issue. My beloved 2007 Honda Odyssey has been deemed unsafe to drive due to a large hole rusted through the subframe. Replacing the rear subframe would cost about $5000 and there are several more issues including power steering and a leaky main seal that would add several thousand more to the bill. I can’t see putting that much money into it knowing that other areas could be rusting as well, but there are no minivans available right now. I guess we’re going to need to live with one car for a while. Fortunately, my husband is still working from home and the preschool where I worked shut down, so we don’t really need two vehicles right now.

I went to our local Honda Dealership for an oil change last Wednesday for the first time since the summer and was shocked at their lot. They had maybe 30 used cars of differing makes, but the section of their lot that is usually full of new cars was totally empty. As far as I could tell, they didn't have a single new Honda on the lot.

Furniture. I ordered new furniture in February 2020. i guess it is still “in transit”. I canceled the order when they told me 3 more months.

My DH is off in fantasyland...

His 2007 TrailBlazer is sitting in our garage waiting for him to call and make an appointment with the mechanic. The week before Thanksgiving, it shifted hard into second gear and the "Check Engine" light started flashing...NOT good. He continued driving it, rumbling and chugging down the road to the store (1 mile from home) and shut it down. He fired it up to drive home and the light was off and all seemed fine, until he turned out of the parking lot...it slammed into second gear and again, the light started flashing and the truck was rumbling and chugging. He limped it home and parked it in the garage. He said he thinks it's the catalytic converter because it smells really bad. I'm no mechanic, but I *KNOW* that the catalytic converter is going to cost a LOT more than that truck is worth. DH says we just need to repair it so that he can drive it for a few more YEARS. It already has 210K miles on it so I don't know how many more years he thinks it's going to get. We have a savings account that I started about a year ago that was intended to go towards a down payment on a new truck to replace his when it finally died. We were hoping that would be at least another year since we are only 2 years into a 6-year (interest-free) loan on my new car. On top of that, we bought a 2013 Ford Escape back in June for our two teenage daughters to drive and we just did a complete rebuild of the transmission ($3200) which had to come out of that savings account. So now, we are faced with the prospect of either buying a "new to us" used vehicle to replace his TrailBlazer and we would still be looking at a 5-year car payment of $500+ OR we would be severely depleting the car savings account and fixing his vehicle which would FORCE us to keep it for another 2 years. (Full disclosure: For the past year, I have been paying $500/month into the savings account so, essentially, we have already been paying a "car payment" monthly. We have just been paying ourselves.) Either way, we are not going to have a third, functioning vehicle anytime soon. Fortunately, neither of the kids have their licenses yet (still driving on permits) so we don't NEED three vehicles. DH is retired so he is the "dad taxi" and he shuttles the girls to school and their jobs. We make due with two vehicles, but that third one will be very convenient once one or both of the kids finally start driving solo.

His 2007 TrailBlazer is sitting in our garage waiting for him to call and make an appointment with the mechanic. The week before Thanksgiving, it shifted hard into second gear and the "Check Engine" light started flashing...NOT good. He continued driving it, rumbling and chugging down the road to the store (1 mile from home) and shut it down. He fired it up to drive home and the light was off and all seemed fine, until he turned out of the parking lot...it slammed into second gear and again, the light started flashing and the truck was rumbling and chugging. He limped it home and parked it in the garage. He said he thinks it's the catalytic converter because it smells really bad. I'm no mechanic, but I *KNOW* that the catalytic converter is going to cost a LOT more than that truck is worth. DH says we just need to repair it so that he can drive it for a few more YEARS. It already has 210K miles on it so I don't know how many more years he thinks it's going to get. We have a savings account that I started about a year ago that was intended to go towards a down payment on a new truck to replace his when it finally died. We were hoping that would be at least another year since we are only 2 years into a 6-year (interest-free) loan on my new car. On top of that, we bought a 2013 Ford Escape back in June for our two teenage daughters to drive and we just did a complete rebuild of the transmission ($3200) which had to come out of that savings account. So now, we are faced with the prospect of either buying a "new to us" used vehicle to replace his TrailBlazer and we would still be looking at a 5-year car payment of $500+ OR we would be severely depleting the car savings account and fixing his vehicle which would FORCE us to keep it for another 2 years. (Full disclosure: For the past year, I have been paying $500/month into the savings account so, essentially, we have already been paying a "car payment" monthly. We have just been paying ourselves.) Either way, we are not going to have a third, functioning vehicle anytime soon. Fortunately, neither of the kids have their licenses yet (still driving on permits) so we don't NEED three vehicles. DH is retired so he is the "dad taxi" and he shuttles the girls to school and their jobs. We make due with two vehicles, but that third one will be very convenient once one or both of the kids finally start driving solo.
With the way things are right now I'd pay for the repairs but that's just me. I've never been one to judge whether a car should be kept based on the cost of the repairs vs the value of the car though so that makes a difference.

If there was nothing wrong with the trailblazer I could have said to trade in since a used car may or may not have higher value right now.

With prices these days you would probably be paying higher even for a used car for longer than you would (since the higher price is going to be reflective in the car loan/total price you would have paid) if you fixed the trailblazer depending on the outcome of the car issues.

Maybe since you said your daughters aren't full license drivers you can hold off a wee bit longer with just 2 vehicles though you can still look around at used car dealerships around to feel out the pricing.

With the way things are right now I'd pay for the repairs but that's just me. I've never been one to judge whether a car should be kept based on the cost of the repairs vs the value of the car though so that makes a difference.

If there was nothing wrong with the trailblazer I could have said to trade in since a used car may or may not have higher value right now.

With prices these days you would probably be paying higher even for a used car for longer than you would (since the higher price is going to be reflective in the car loan/total price you would have paid) if you fixed the trailblazer depending on the outcome of the car issues.

Maybe since you said your daughters aren't full license drivers you can hold off a wee bit longer with just 2 vehicles though you can still look around at used car dealerships around to feel out the pricing.
Me too. Fixing is going to be cheaper based on the cost per mile driven.

I’m another with a car issue. My beloved 2007 Honda Odyssey has been deemed unsafe to drive due to a large hole rusted through the subframe. Replacing the rear subframe would cost about $5000 and there are several more issues including power steering and a leaky main seal that would add several thousand more to the bill. I can’t see putting that much money into it knowing that other areas could be rusting as well, but there are no minivans available right now. I guess we’re going to need to live with one car for a while. Fortunately, my husband is still working from home and the preschool where I worked shut down, so we don’t really need two vehicles right now.
Rust and collision damage are about the only two reasons I would not repair a car. And when you do replace it, have the next car inspected annually and repair little rust issues so you don't end up in this situation again. And consider a rust proofing like Ziebart. They inspect the car annually, and fix any rust for free for the life of the car.

I only went to three stores to look for them but I could not find clear Christmas lights with the green wire. They had every other possible color light with green wire just not the clear.

For some reason Shop Rite was out of ALL brands of disposable coffee cups with lids. I prefer Chinet. But they didn’t have them or Dixie or their own Paper Bird brand. The spaces were filled with those red Solo party cups.

Ice. Yeah, you read that right. ICE!

The 20 lb bag of ice has turned into a 16 pound bag, and the 10 pound is now a 7 pounder! And both are more expensive!

It is probably due to 1) "because we can" and 2) an increase in transportation cost(s).

For some reason Shop Rite was out of ALL brands of disposable coffee cups with lids. I prefer Chinet. But they didn’t have them or Dixie or their own Paper Bird brand. The spaces were filled with those red Solo party cups.

lots of places are running low on resin. Where I work we have been only working 40 hours a week because of the resin shortage. Been like that a couple of months. Resin shortage has been going on all year. Than a place in Texas who makes resin caught on fire in the summer they were down for a couple of months.

Ice. Yeah, you read that right. ICE!

The 20 lb bag of ice has turned into a 16 pound bag, and the 10 pound is now a 7 pounder! And both are more expensive!

It is probably due to 1) "because we can" and 2) an increase in transportation cost(s).
Don't know where you're located, but it could also be 3) the drought.

Coffee prices are reportedly on the rise. Maybe they didn't order enough disposable cups, thinking people would be cutting down on coffee at gatherings.

Data from a high priority sensor is out of whack. Your car's computer has interpreted it as an immediate threat and put it in limp mode. This does not mean it is in fact an immediate threat. Now it could be something as simple as a sensor. EZ repair. I wouldn't just assume it's something serious. You can't really know until you get it in. Could also be very serious. So don't drive it around. Get it in. A smell doesn't necessarily mean emissions. Fluid leaks tend to find the hottest thing they can and stink no matter where they may be. I swear you could put em all on the roof and a fluid leak would flow uphill and find them. Get it in. It's all speculation until you find out how much the repair genuinely will be.

Data from a high priority sensor is out of whack. Your car's computer has interpreted it as an immediate threat and put it in limp mode. This does not mean it is in fact an immediate threat. Now it could be something as simple as a sensor. EZ repair. I wouldn't just assume it's something serious. You can't really know until you get it in. Could also be very serious. So don't drive it around. Get it in. A smell doesn't necessarily mean emissions. Fluid leaks tend to find the hottest thing they can and stink no matter where they may be. I swear you could put em all on the roof and a fluid leak would flow uphill and find them. Get it in. It's all speculation until you find out how much the repair genuinely will be.
Thanks! Now I just have to get him to make the appointment. I’m at work all day and he’s retired so I put that task on his “to-do” list. Hopefully, he will get to it soon. He has a tendency to procrastinate…

lots of places are running low on resin. Where I work we have been only working 40 hours a week because of the resin shortage. Been like that a couple of months. Resin shortage has been going on all year. Than a place in Texas who makes resin caught on fire in the summer they were down for a couple of months.

I suppose so. Target and Walmart were also out of disposable hot cups. I found an off-brand at Dollar General and even they only had 3 packs on the shelf.

If I had known, I would have hoarded in advance like toilet paper circa March 2020.

I asked someone in my company’s store logistics department about it and he’s aware. Fortunately they have half a warehouse full of Holiday themed coffee cups, plus adequate standard ones for after the holidays.

If it comes to it, I suppose I could “borrow” a sleeve or three of cups. :duck:

We'll find out today if DGD has an allergy shot to go to tomorrow.

I'm finding hit or miss at the stores. Some have things that others don't

I suppose so. Target and Walmart were also out of disposable hot cups. I found an off-brand at Dollar General and even they only had 3 packs on the shelf.

If I had known, I would have hoarded in advance like toilet paper circa March 2020.

I asked someone in my company’s store logistics department about it and he’s aware. Fortunately they have half a warehouse full of Holiday themed coffee cups, plus adequate standard ones for after the holidays.

If it comes to it, I suppose I could “borrow” a sleeve or three of cups. :duck:

No cups needed

The company we lease our copiers from at work is having trouble getting toners in for the machines. A coworker received an email from her daughter's teacher saying the school was low on toner so the forms she was sending home with the kids would now come via email. This could make things rough for us, lol.

A reverse supply chain problem.

Anybody want some contraband Aunt Jemima pancake mix? Lots of it? They have a Best Before code of 4/1/22. I don't know when they were manufactured. I saw them at a store called Steals & Deals, which was full of leftovers, overstocks, discontinued stuff, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter