What's your take on it?

pm kisan

Earning My Ears
the new dining surcharge. :scared: Does anyone else feel like this is a rip-off? I don't mind paying high prices for a hotel that is not up to the 4* quality of other hotels. I don't mind paying high prices for food - after all, you are on vacation and that goes with the territory. I bite the bullet and continue to buy tickets each year though the prices keep rising. But this surcharge on top of the higher cost for sit-down meals (and for food that is usually only so-so) is just over the top in my book and I'm a little bit ticked off. How does everyone else feel? :confused3

I see that you just joined today. Welcome!

I am not aware of any Disney dining surcharge. Some dining reservations are pre-paid (like Hoop Dee Doo for example). Is that what you are referencing?

Perhaps the price difference depending on the time of year. Like higher ticket and resort charges based on the season.

I may be cynical but it seems it is more about profits for shareholders than enjoyable vacations for families of all financial means. Maybe I am kidding myself to think it was ever any different.

the new dining surcharge. :scared: Does anyone else feel like this is a rip-off? I don't mind paying high prices for a hotel that is not up to the 4* quality of other hotels. I don't mind paying high prices for food - after all, you are on vacation and that goes with the territory. I bite the bullet and continue to buy tickets each year though the prices keep rising. But this surcharge on top of the higher cost for sit-down meals (and for food that is usually only so-so) is just over the top in my book and I'm a little bit ticked off. How does everyone else feel? :confused3
A. Don't know what you're talking about.
B. If you're referencing table service meals at resorts or DS and you think it's so-so then you're either comparing to dining at a major metro like NYC or SF which is just as expensive (but unquestionably better) or you're going to places like jiko and ordering a steak wondering why it's not mind-blowing (maybe try something new...)
C. If you're referencing table service at the parks yes it's overpriced for what it is but you're at a theme park. I'm just glad to have options other than $18 chickenfingers or $12 pizza slice like most theme parks.
D. If you're referencing quick service of any kind just stop paying for it. Order delivery to your hotel, take some bread, cold cuts, or PBJ and call it a day. Yes, quick service is really expensive here and pretty bad, so just plan a little and avoid it.

No idea what OP is talking about. :rolleyes2 Maybe they don't either.

Disboards have been a bit strange the last few weeks. Lots of new posters jumping right in with hot takes.

I may be cynical but it seems it is more about profits for shareholders than enjoyable vacations for families of all financial means. Maybe I am kidding myself to think it was ever any different.
It IS about profits for shareholders just like any other big business, that is who they are accountable to. Any business not about profits is a non-profit or out of business.

They strive for the profits by providing a product that they hope people will buy in a volume that makes their profit goals. So far I think it is working out well for them.

Disney was never about providing vacations for everyone of all financial means. Just like any other "luxury" business they offer a product at a price point and there will be customers that can afford that.

Disney is a luxury optional vacation and not something that is being provided for everyone and anyone. There are plenty of vacation destinations I would love to go to but I can't afford to go there, same for others folks with Disney.

AND there is the option to save over many years so you can go, and there is also the option to do Disney in an economical way. The only thing that is really not adjustable is tickets. You can stay at lower priced hotels offsite to save lots of money, you can eat breakfast in your room, pack your lunch and eat quick serve for dinner or even off property. I've done it all. I've gone to Disney quite economically at times.

Bottom line there is supply and demand. As long as parks are full, hotels are at a decent capacity and restaurants are busy there is no reason for Disney to drop any prices. It is about making money.

No idea what OP is talking about. :rolleyes2 Maybe they don't either.

Disboards have been a bit strange the last few weeks. Lots of new posters jumping right in with hot takes.

It IS about profits for shareholders just like any other big business, that is who they are accountable to. Any business not about profits is a non-profit or out of business.

They strive for the profits by providing a product that they hope people will buy in a volume that makes their profit goals. So far I think it is working out well for them.

Disney was never about providing vacations for everyone of all financial means. Just like any other "luxury" business they offer a product at a price point and there will be customers that can afford that.

Disney is a luxury optional vacation and not something that is being provided for everyone and anyone. There are plenty of vacation destinations I would love to go to but I can't afford to go there, same for others folks with Disney.

AND there is the option to save over many years so you can go, and there is also the option to do Disney in an economical way. The only thing that is really not adjustable is tickets. You can stay at lower priced hotels offsite to save lots of money, you can eat breakfast in your room, pack your lunch and eat quick serve for dinner or even off property. I've done it all. I've gone to Disney quite economically at times.

Bottom line there is supply and demand. As long as parks are full, hotels are at a decent capacity and restaurants are busy there is no reason for Disney to drop any prices. It is about making money.
Just my opinion but the idea of Disney being a luxury vacation would have killed Walt many years before he actually passed.

No clue what surcharge the OP is referring to. The closest thing I can think of is the $10 noshow fee.

Just my opinion but the idea of Disney being a luxury vacation would have killed Walt many years before he actually passed.
That's why he needed Roy :P

But seriously I think we maybe romanticize what visiting Disneyland was in the first place. Visiting southern California was a luxury in and of itself, unless you were from the area, and if so most kids there weren't able to go anyhow. I remember growing up in the 80s not too far away and got to visit Disneyland twice - once when my grandmother took me along to visit cousins in Santa Ana and another when my parents took me. Both times I can remember the stress created from taking essentially a daytrip to Disneyland. No treats, go out to the car to eat lunch, don't even look at the souvenirs. Trips to Knotts and Six Flags, or to Great America or Santa Cruz up north, never felt like such a stretch as a day at Di$neyland.

But I sure did love it, even with the restrictions. I'm grateful that I can afford the luxury for as long as I'm able and if someday I'm not ill always be grateful for the memories.

The only recent news story I can think of that even comes close is that some cruise lines are adding surcharges for special items in their main dining rooms, where typically everything has been included. But the article didn’t mention DCL or Disney.

He built the parks for adults to enjoy with their children. Not sure he ever said every adult & child.

Disneyland opening had mixed reviews but one I saw could have been written about today's times ...

"To me it felt like a giant cash register, clicking and clanging, as creatures of Disney magic came tumbling down from their lofty places in my daydreams to peddle and perish their charms with the aggressiveness of so many curbside barkers."

Disney has never been for everyone.

That's why he needed Roy :P

But seriously I think we maybe romanticize what visiting Disneyland was in the first place. Visiting southern California was a luxury in and of itself, unless you were from the area, and if so most kids there weren't able to go anyhow. I remember growing up in the 80s not too far away and got to visit Disneyland twice - once when my grandmother took me along to visit cousins in Santa Ana and another when my parents took me. Both times I can remember the stress created from taking essentially a daytrip to Disneyland. No treats, go out to the car to eat lunch, don't even look at the souvenirs. Trips to Knotts and Six Flags, or to Great America or Santa Cruz up north, never felt like such a stretch as a day at Di$neyland.

But I sure did love it, even with the restrictions. I'm grateful that I can afford the luxury for as long as I'm able and if someday I'm not ill always be grateful for the memories.
And I am sure back when DL opened it was the same exact situation. My parents traveled out there by car from NJ with my Dad's folks in about 1956. I have their video of the trip. It was a big deal, a luxury trip. And they never got to go back. Dad took us right after MK opened in 1971. We drove there, stayed CHEAP in Kissimmee with a kitchenette so we didn't have to eat out, had our tickets, got no snacks, kids used own money for souvenirs, not sure we even ate a meal as that day most places ran out of food. It was a huge treat! I know that most our friends never went to Disney because even when it opened it was a luxury vacation.

Last edited:
Disneyland opening had mixed reviews but one I saw could have been written about today's times ...

"To me it felt like a giant cash register, clicking and clanging, as creatures of Disney magic came tumbling down from their lofty places in my daydreams to peddle and perish their charms with the aggressiveness of so many curbside barkers."
Only difference being is that journalists back then had a command of the English language and could write eloquently. "Clicking and clanging, as creatures...peddle and perish." Ask someone writing a Buzzfeed article if they even know what alliteration is. Sad the state of a lot of journalism these days.

Only difference being is that journalists back then had a command of the English language and could write eloquently. "Clicking and clanging, as creatures...peddle and perish." Ask someone writing a Buzzfeed article if they even know what alliteration is. Sad the state of a lot of journalism these days.
And they took pride in their fact checking and information gathering. I find most articles I read today often have glaring inaccurate information and make me wonder how they got their job. Even on here there are articles and I think why are they publishing this person.

And they took pride in their fact checking and information gathering. I find most articles I read today often have glaring inaccurate information and make me wonder how they got their job. Even on here there are articles and I think why are they publishing this person.
Journalism used to be a time honored career and now it feels like even the larger outlets are using kids from a school newspaper. But then again writing skills have deteriorated across all of society. Gee I wonder what one of the main culprits are...(as I stare at my phone)

Interestingly, I did just eat at a restaurant (local, not Disney related) that had an “inflation surcharge” of somewhere between 3-4%, added to the final bill. There was a note on the menu explaining that they needed to do this in order to cover rising expenses and hoped it would not be permanent. I spent some time musing over why they didn’t just raise their prices 3-4%, then drop them in a couple of years if possible. Especially as this restaurant offers changing / seasonal food and could change prices with each new season.

Again, this has nothing to do with Disney, but maybe this is a “thing” in some places, and the OP had his or her restaurants confused.

There are plenty of places by me that do the ol' 3% more for using credit card. Which stinks because stores know what the fee is for processing credit cards and it's always been the same. As a store owner you accept that fee in return for more business because most people don't carry cash as much. I understand things have been difficult the last few years but this practice is tacky at best. Just raise your prices the 3% instead.

No clue what surcharge the OP is referring to. The closest thing I can think of is the $10 noshow fee.
I could be wrong (and I don't think the OP meant this) - but I believe there has been a holiday surcharge at certain TS locations on specific days (maybe Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day). I'll google to see if I can find this.

ETA: an example (it's unclear if it's still happening and is so specific that I doubt it's what OP meant): https://www.themouseforless.com/walt-disney-world/dining/seasonal/

I could be wrong (and I don't think the OP meant this) - but I believe there has been a holiday surcharge at certain TS locations on specific days (maybe Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day). I'll google to see if I can find this.

ETA: an example (it's unclear if it's still happening and is so specific that I doubt it's what OP meant): https://www.themouseforless.com/walt-disney-world/dining/seasonal/
I don't think the OP meant anything, actually..... And now we (including me) are 30 posts into a thread created from air!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter