What's your Threshold for Taking Kids out of School

The last time we took the girls out during the school year was when the oldest was in the 4th grade. Her teacher sent work along and she spent at least an hour a day in the hotel room working on homework. That was no fun. So from then on we only went during spring break and the summer. Its hot and crowded, but it has worked for us. She is now in high school and I wouldn't dream of taking her out. One of her friends was out for a week last spring for a medical issue (concussion) and never caught back up to the rest of the class.

I would have a hard time taking my kids out of school for a week considering there is no slow time anymore. I have read that some of the "slow" times have become just as crowded as spring break and summer (this past September for example). So now they would be missing a week of school and it's just as crowded...that would be a bummer!

If my kids do well in school, I will continue through high school, maybe not as many days as I take them out of elementary school. Our high school chorus performs in the Candlelight Processional at Disney and misses a week of school, the bands, cheerleaders, sports teams, etc. all participate in competitions and miss school time. So if this is acceptable and done with the school's blessing, why not vacation -- as long as the students are doing well.

Our school does not have fall or spring breaks. Christmas is the only extended break they get.

My oldest was a slacker in high school, so we didn't pull him out for vacations. We shall see how the munchkins do when we get there. My husband's work is a big deciding factor on when we can take vacations, and usually summer does not work for him.

Having raised one to adulthood, it makes it easier not to sweat stuff so much more this time around.

I am the principal and I am taking DD5 out for two days so we can take my parents for their anniversary to see the Obsborne lights for the last year. I am using two personal days for this. If it weren't for the finality of this event, I probably would not do it but this seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity for us so I am going for it.

I am the principal and I am taking DD5 out for two days so we can take my parents for their anniversary to see the Osborne lights for the last year. I am using two personal days for this. If it weren't for the finality of this event, I probably would not do it but this seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity for us so I am going for it. I think if attendance overall is not an issue for the student and it is not a long term absence, then family comes first. We have a lot of military families in my school who can only take vacations when the parent has leave so we support it.

We have a trip planned in November due to DH's vacation schedule. It just so happens to be the week before Thanksgiving and the week DD turns 10. He only has three years at his current job and pulled the holiday schedule again. He has to work Thanksgiving & Christmas weeks. This was going to be our holiday time with the kids. We were pulling both kids to go, 9th grade & 4th grade. My DS has decided that he doesn't want to go, he's afraid of the work load and not being able to catch up. We are so proud of the responsible decision he has made. It's going to be tuff leaving him behind, but we're still going. In 3 years if DH's still on the same rotation, I don't think we will pull them. It would be DS's senior year and DD would be in Jr high.

Circumstances are different for each family.

I am a teacher and have been in education for almost 20 years. I am about to take my boys (11 and 7) out of school for a week in November. Most affordable time for me and I would never want to fight crowds and heat in Summer. Anyway, I think there is nothing in the world wrong with them missing school. It is my experience that educators take things WAAYYY too seriously and that life is too short to worry about a week of school vs memories that will last a lifetime. Just my opinion. Lots dont agree with me, I understand that. I just think that, at the end of the day, there will never be a time that I say, "you know... my son is really struggling in life now because of that week of school he missed back in 2015" I did it 2 years ago as well, and no one remembers what was missed in school. Their grades didnt change that semester, and even if they had...big deal. I can tell you we talk about that trip every day and it is a special time that meant more to all of us than anything. Sorry... this is a bit of a sore subject with me...as you can probably imagine, I have had this conversation several times before.... Have fun!

We have the same beliefs...1,000%. Our country is one of the worst in the developed world when it comes to supporting families. In Europe even Walmart employees start off with 4 weeks of vacation and paid maternity leave is standard. Businesses no longer for the most part have any sense of respect to family time or time off. I called in sick only twice at my job before I became a SAHM, and both times my boss called mid morning to see if I was feeling better...and could come back to work. I was a banker and there was never a day that would warrant me needing to come in sick. Sometimes, you need to do what you need to do to make a family vacation work. And call me crazy, but I think a family vacation should be enjoyable, so traipsing around in 100 degree weather with 9 + crowd predictions in order to keep a 3rd grader from missing a few days sounds crazy to me.
We truly believe that spending time together as a family and building relationships is one of the single most important things we can do for our children. If you are in traditional school, I do think you still need to respect testing schedules, etc. but I could never imagine the stories I have heard of parents being threatened with truancy issues or CPS because they wanted to take their OWN kids on vacation (yes, I heard several of these stories on a cruising board). I think teaching kids to explore, learn hands on, and experience the world can be built in without threatening their work ethic or lifelong belief in honoring commitments.

I am pulling my 7th grader out for 3 days in November. I'm concerned just thinking about how much work she will need to make up and she is not the best student. But i put family first.

My mother is not in the best health and wanted to see her grandkids enjoy Disney (on her) before she was not healthy enough to make the trip. We needed to act quickly. So my siblings and I came to agreement that Veteran's day week was the best option. I wanted to avoid denser crowds for my mother's sake as she will need an ECV this trip.

But it appears that we will be facing very heavy crowds anyway due to the holiday, free dining, parade taping, F&W, and MVMCP. I'm really stressed for my mom's sake and wishing I hadn't pulled my daughter out of school. Fingers crossed my worries will be for naught.

I am from the UK and have taken my kids out to I have just booked a holiday for August but am now deciding it could be too hot for us and thinking of changing to October which is now when my mum has booked means 6 days off school But I do think there not kids for long and it's nice to spend time as a family my oldest is 13 but is a good learner and I have mentioned to her about days off she seems happy enough will be last time though as following years are exams. we could get fined here but that's a risk we take I suppose.

Our oldest is 9 and in 4th grade and we will be taking him out for 3 days this year. Last year we did the same and we have never gone beyond the 3 day mark, as we try to piggyback off a long weekend or time when we know they are doing special activities and less school work. Our biggest challenge has been that my husband is the CFO of a company and they have board meetings, business trips and end of the fiscal year financials that he must attend so our summer vacation is limited to basically one week available at times. This is why we add on during the school year for now. We have to get very creative at times too. To be honest, this year I do not feel guilty pulling my children out at all as I use to worry. Life is too short...we've watched multiple people we know have their lives taken too shortly this past year and it puts it all in perspective.

My kids are a bit younger, but I wanted to offer you a teacher's perspective. Know your child. In general, I would support a week of missed school. More than that, and you will have missed substantial content. Is your child performing well in school? Kids who are already behind really should not miss. Does your child stress over missing things? Ask your kids, their opinions should be considered. My oldest would not want to miss school. Know when they return, they may have make up tests, etc., so just plan to have extra time to focus on catching up. And as someone who only travels during school holidays, we always have awesome trips!

I'm a homeschooler but a former public school teacher. First - from what I've heard - being from Canada will work in your favor. The US has some states that are super strict and kids won't graduate if they miss too much school. Family trips, or even illness without drs notes, are considered unexcused. Not all US states are like that, but mine is.

As for pulling your child, I would not decide this far in advance. You have no way of knowing what your child can handle. I've noticed many middle schoolers go backwards in maturity at times. I would strongly consider doing before high school credit courses start however - and those can start easily by 8th grade in the US. So, consider that as well as far as a maximum age. It will also depend on how many days they'll miss and if the school does semester block scheduling - as missing 5 days of semester block scheduling is like missing 10 days - so way too much. Based on all this, I'd recommend pulling in 7th grade or earlier and find a 4 day weekend so you're not taking off as many days. Missing 3 days is much easier than missing 5 days. (An an elem kid missing is much different than a high school kid or even middle school kid).

If you do decide to go when school is not in session, consider either May or the end of August, depending on your school calendar. Schools in the southeast go back in August - some even the second week of August and all by the 3rd week of August that I know of. Some get out in May but others at the start of June - but the northeast US schools don't get out until June in general. I'm also not sure how long of a Christmas break you get - if you can go the 2nd week of December then that is also a good time.

*We are hoping to take our two nephews to US/IOA and will be doing during their spring break, which is in April. Their parents, understandably, don't want them to miss school. They are in 7th and 10th grade.

About what teachers think, it was never up to me. It wasn't even up to the principal. It was up to the state. The state said it was an unexcused absence and that was it. There was no wiggle room. However, unexcused absence means the teacher does not need to provide make-up work, and of course, I always provided it since I cared about the student learning. That's the only say I ever got in it.

Always... parents worry about their kids missing school because of missing part of their education. One of the things we learned with our kids (now 22 & 26) was that TRAVEL was the biggest educator of all. Whatever they may have missed at school while we were gone could NOT compare to what they learned via the travel experience.
We have been all around the world with ours and they have always learned more while traveling instead of being in the classroom.
REAL world experience pays off more.
Yes, some teachers attempted to give us grief. We made it clear that they would never be able to teach them the things that our kids would learn while they weren't in the classroom. If needed, they made up work that was needed. Schools get paid about $7/day by the feds for each day that a kid is at school. That's not a lot considering we pay $9,500/year in property tax of which $5,600 of that goes to the school district. That means as a parent we do/did make the choice to pull them out of school as a part of their learning experience.

Always... parents worry about their kids missing school because of missing part of their education. One of the things we learned with our kids (now 22 & 26) was that TRAVEL was the biggest educator of all. Whatever they may have missed at school while we were gone could NOT compare to what they learned via the travel experience.
We have been all around the world with ours and they have always learned more while traveling instead of being in the classroom.
REAL world experience pays off more.
Yes, some teachers attempted to give us grief. We made it clear that they would never be able to teach them the things that our kids would learn while they weren't in the classroom. If needed, they made up work that was needed. Schools get paid about $7/day by the feds for each day that a kid is at school. That's not a lot considering we pay $9,500/year in property tax of which $5,600 of that goes to the school district. That means as a parent we do/did make the choice to pull them out of school as a part of their learning experience.
My DD has also travelled around the world. You're right. It is a learning experience. That being said, visiting Walt Disney World does not hold a candle to visiting real places. WDW is a theme park. Visiting the tiny replica of the Temple of Heaven isn't anything like seeing the real thing. I know because we did. The same goes for the rest of Epcot (we have visited all but Africa, Italy and Scandinavia IRL). REAL world experience does pay off ... I just don't think the same for MOUSE world experiences.

Last edited:
My kids... my rules and I have taken (now) second grader out every year. He is at very bright, has to do any makeup work, and is blessedly healthy (rarely out sick). Our teachers have been great, but if I ran into one that disapproved, it would not change my mind (unless he/she opened my eyes to academic issues that I didn't know, but then I'm not doing my job of knowing what is happening with my kid).

Some districts will try to scare parents with truancy letters and other BS. I refuse to be intimidated. No matter how much they may try, schools and government do not own my kids.

School is important but so is out of classroom experience and family time. It is my job, as parent, to make sure the balance is correct.

Last edited:
My personal take:
1. "family time is precious" is largely an excuse to travel when crowds and prices are low. That time is just as precious during the summer, Christmas, and spring break, and most families could choose one of those times for a trip (of course there are exceptions where one or both parents just cannot get off ANY time but the 180 days a kid is in school, but how many REALLY have that issue?). The time of year doesn't make a difference when spending quality time with kids.
2. I have taken my child out, and been honest about my motives for doing so. We could have chosen to travel during summer or Christmas break, but didn't want to fight the crowds, plain and simple. We chose to take a couple of days before or after a shorter break that the entire country didn't share.
3. I would never take a child out of school for a full week. I don't think that its a huge problem in elementary, just not something I would do. In middle and high school the just miss too much and it takes too much effort to catch up. If that isn't the case then they belong in a more challenging program.
4. Its "educational" is also an excuse at best. Disney is entertainment. There isn't enough education there to take the place of a week of middle or high school. Sure, you can trump up reasons to justify the trip, but there really isn't enough of actual educational value to justify a week out of middle or high school, unless one is doing multiple Y.E.S. classes.

My daughter is in the 9th grade and we are travelling mid November for 5 school days. We did the same thing last year and had no problems. All her teachers are aware and have kindly provided us with all her assignments. She has been doubling up on her work for a week now and will do so until we leave. She is a very good student and conscientious with her work so we do not have a problem with taking her out for one week. If she were a slacker then I would not consider a vacation in November during school time as an option.

I think it will really depend on how my kids are as students. We're taking them out next week but they're only in K and 3rd. I'd definitely put more thought into it when they're in middle or high school but I'm not against it.

WOW. I have never once hesitated not taking my kids out. The school system in Australia must be very different - I am leaving on the 4th of December and my kids will miss the last week or so of school. I have emailed all their teachers and advised and they have said no problems, and that they are jealous basically! My kids pick up things very quickly and due to the nature of my husbands work, we can only vacation at certain times. We both work such crazy busy hours that we need these holidays to reconnect and recharge and to us, the trip is more important that the last week of school. They get to experience other cultures, and we always do something significant, as with this trip we are going to the White House and all the important items in Washington, along with our Disney Trip. I'm also finding the majority of my daughters classes (Grade 8 at present - 13 years old) are now App based on her Ipad. She has tasks that she is set and her reading, so even off sick or away, she can still keep up. All of our communication with the school is now done via email, or app's so it makes it a lot easier for us to travel and be together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter