• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WhatsApp work on board?

MamaMermaid

DIS Veteran
Hi Cruisers! I'm taking a girls trip with my BFF at the end of September. Leaving behind hubby and my preschooler - I am already sad. Hubby doesn't haven an iPhone so we can't iMessage. Does anyone know if WhatsApp works on the ship if I DON'T have the wifi package? Just looking to text or call!

Thanks!

It was a pleasant surprise that it did while on the Magic in the Mediterranean this summer. Didn't expect to receive iMessages or WhatsApp messages while on board but the messages intermittently came through. I don't think you would be able to call, and photos didn't go through but messages did.

My family is just off the Fantasy (8/13-8/20 sailing), with all Android devices. We did not purchase the internet packages, and we were able to use WhatsApp to keep in touch while on the free WiFi. The DCL app was ok, but the notifications didn't work well. WhatsApp worked much better.

I didnt get the wifi package and sometimes I would get messages on whatsapp
Me too. We didn't get wifi but I was able to monitor some work activity on Whatsapp that I would never have known about because I couldn't check e-mail.

We used Whatsapp on our Android phones on the Magic in early February. Worked great to communicate with others on the ship and back home as well. Somehow pictures came through from home, which I was surprised about!

Hi Cruisers! I'm taking a girls trip with my BFF at the end of September. Leaving behind hubby and my preschooler - I am already sad. Hubby doesn't haven an iPhone so we can't iMessage. Does anyone know if WhatsApp works on the ship if I DON'T have the wifi package? Just looking to text or call!

Thanks!

Does this still work for Android phones?
We sailed on the Fantasy last week and WhatsApp worked wonderfully! Didn't have a wifi package but could send and receive messages and PICTURES immediately both between iPhones and android. It was a game changer and wonderful surprise!

For texts, yes. Pictures...if they work you're lucky.

WhatsApp is what a lot of the crew use to keep in touch with their family back home since it doesn't require an internet package. But more often than not, if we send a picture to my sister the response is "I'll see it when we're in port and I've got free WiFi."

For texts, yes. Pictures...if they work you're lucky.

WhatsApp is what a lot of the crew use to keep in touch with their family back home since it doesn't require an internet package. But more often than not, if we send a picture to my sister the response is "I'll see it when we're in port and I've got free WiFi."
I wonder if it differs between ships? We were on the Fantasy last week and sent and received over hundreds of messages and over 50 pictures between the ship, Canada, US and Grand Cayman. Also between a combination of iPhones and Android. As we were often in conversations at the time I know they were being sent/received instantly.

We didn’t spend a penny on wifi and didn’t miss it at all!

I wonder if it differs between ships? We were on the Fantasy last week and sent and received over hundreds of messages and over 50 pictures between the ship, Canada, US and Grand Cayman. Also between a combination of iPhones and Android. As we were often in conversations at the time I know they were being sent/received instantly.

We didn’t spend a penny on wifi and didn’t miss it at all!
Not a clue - my sister has been on all but the Wish and pictures are always iffy.

So just to make sure I understand this... all I really want is a way for my sister to reach me if there's an emergency at home. So if I go into airplane mode, but connect to the free wifi, and I have WhatsApp, she'll be able to message me from land?

So just to make sure I understand this... all I really want is a way for my sister to reach me if there's an emergency at home. So if I go into airplane mode, but connect to the free wifi, and I have WhatsApp, she'll be able to message me from land?
That’s correct yes

On any ship but the Wonder, yes.

Hrm, WhatsApp just released a beta app for WearOS. I'm excited to see if it works with connecting to the Disney Wifi onboard with my watch (without having to utilize my phone), or if it would just natively work with being connected to my phone via bluetooth and connected to the Disney Wifi by the phone...

If it works as an app with just the watch, then it makes it where I can leave my phone in my stateroom.

It's up to you, but I'm not sure I would rely solely on WhatsApp for communication in an emergency. The wifi can still hit dead zones (regardless of whether you're using paid or free), and it won't work when you're ashore (though you can figure out if you want other coverage then). I would recommend giving her the ship emergency contact number as a backup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter