• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheat allergy?

Aidensmom

Holy Crap!<br><font color=blue>Murdered By Pineapp
My 4 y/o son has always had some allergy symptoms - stuffiness, sneezing, coughing, occassional hives.....so we asked the pediatrician to do an allergy test. We just got the results back and he is allergic to dust and wheat. Dust I know how to handle because I am allergic to it also, but wheat is a whole new ballgame....all his favorite foods (PB&J sandwiches, pizza, chicken nuggets, crackers, etc.) have wheat in them.

My mom is a health food fanatic, and told me I can find substitutes for most things at the health food store, but that they are expensive. What I am asking is for suggestions of things without wheat that I can try to get a picky preschooler to eat instead of his usual favorites. Anyone have a small child with wheat allergy?

I do plan to get some stuff at the health food store, and probably bake my own bread from a non-wheat flour, but, frankly, I can't afford to substitute everything with a higher priced item from the health food store.

I am assuming he is allergic to gluten? The key is looking for items that have "gluten free" on the label. There is rice flour and soy flour... I am trying to remember the other kinds. I know Red Mill makes a variety of gluten free flours. You can also find gluten free in your health food dairy freezer - pancakes, waffles, etc. Sometimes health food stores will carry this stuff in the bulk food bins - so it is less expensive. I don't know if you have Trader Joe's where you live - they often carry the higher end items at more reasonable prices. You can also cook with starches like sweet potato.

Good luck! I remember trying to have DS on a casein and gluten free diet for a while when he was in preschool. It was tough, but doable.

We had an employee, a couple of years back, that said she felt that wheat inflammed the arthritis in her joints. I will be curious as to what info you receive on this thread....

mtblujeans said:
We had an employee, a couple of years back, that said she felt that wheat inflammed the arthritis in her joints. I will be curious as to what info you receive on this thread....

I find that interesting because eggs do that to me as well as other things. I've never heard of anyone else having a similar reaction from allergies.

I have a friend who has a wheat allergy--NOT just gluten!

She can't have regualr ketsup, salad dressings, breads, baked goods, wheat is a "hidden" ingredient in a lot of things.

OP--Get a referal to a dietician who will be able to help. Fresh fruits are a good place to start for snacks. Good luck!

Anne

I feel for you. I have a DS allergic to eggs and corn, and I've considered myself blessed that he isn't allergic to dairy or wheat. Wheat is a big one.

One thing to be aware of is that the scratch test (or possibly RAST--I don't know which you did) isn't completely accurate. After you've done a diet completely and totally free of wheat for at least a week, preferably about 2, you can try adding some wheat back in and see if you notice any bad symptoms.

I'd recommend buying a few of his absolute favorite things in a wheat-free version and then trying to find mainly new foods that are normally free of wheat. Food substitutes are always very expensive. Things like fresh fruit and yogurt are not. I would probably try to get a kids cookbook that shows how to make kid-friendly dishes that are visably appealing so that he'll be excited about the new things you're feeding him. You can probably borrow a few from the library.

ducklite said:
I have a friend who has a wheat allergy--NOT just gluten!

She can't have regualr ketsup, salad dressings, breads, baked goods, wheat is a "hidden" ingredient in a lot of things.

OP--Get a referal to a dietician who will be able to help. Fresh fruits are a good place to start for snacks. Good luck!

Anne

The reason I mentioned the gluten, is because alot of products will list items not containing wheat as Gluten Free on label. You are right wheat is hidden as an additive in a lot of products.

Thank you for your suggestions. It is unbelievable how many things have wheat hidden in them. I talked to him yesterday about how we are going to not eat some foods anymore that he is used to eating so that his allergies get better, and he asked if he can still have fruit. At least he can still have his favorite. :goodvibes

Another thing to be careful of--french fries! Most are light breaded, in fact so lightly that it's not really noticable.

Anne

Perhaps that is the case with Burger King french fries! :confused3 I think it seems as though there is some sort of crispy coating on them....and I don't like them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter