Wheelchair accessible ports

KPeveler

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow cruisers -

My husband and I are both wheelchair users. My husband is a paraplegic, so he cannot walk at all. We are going on a week long cruise in Sept on the Fantasy, stopping in Nassau, St. thomas, and Tortola. We don't get off the ship in Nassau, but we would like to in the other ports. Does anyone know of a market or something like that within walking/rolling distance of the port? We would be happy with just a little shopping, or maybe a park or something. Most of the Disney port adventures require you to be able to walk and to fold your wheelchair. Neither of our wheelchairs fold, and my husband cannot walk.

Also, how do we work the money on the islands?

Just looking for your favorite things to do in St. Thomas and Tortola.

TIA

In St. Thomas there is a very convenient shopping area right at the port.

They all have a "port market area" which are accessible. Usually the hardest part is the gangway on and off the ship, but CM's are there to help. Also they all take US Dollars.

Credit cards work in pretty much every port.

Nassau has built a new port area - opened in the past year. Modern, in a controlled area.

In St Thomas, we like to go to Tap & Still for burgers and fries (think Five Guys). I can’t remember any low tables; they may all be high with stools. Lots of shopping at the port.

Here’s a video posted March 16, 2024, from a Fantasy stop in Tortola.

She shows leaving the ship and the port area nearby - I see curb cuts in the sidewalks. The sidewalks do look textured; don’t know how that affects you.

Leaving the ship starts at about the 4 minute timestamp. Once you get to the taxi part, it’s mainly the beach activity.

IMG_7276.jpeg

(I couldn’t get the link to copy - but you should be able to find on YouTube).

For Tortola, at the end of the pier, there’s a small grouping of stores and restaurants. It’s a very short walk. Nothing great, but something to do and see. We just did this in 2018, as I didn’t want to put our 1 year old on transportation to a beach without a car seat!

In St. Thomas, I’d say it’s about a few blocks to the area they have with tons of little shops. My mother is now in a wheelchair (was not then when we went, but used a cane) and I’d say that it is probably do-able for wheelchair users. The worst factor was the heat.

The CM are very nice about getting wheelchairs on and off the ships.

Have a great time - I love the eastern Caribbean itinerary!

Hello fellow cruisers -

My husband and I are both wheelchair users. My husband is a paraplegic, so he cannot walk at all. We are going on a week long cruise in Sept on the Fantasy, stopping in Nassau, St. thomas, and Tortola. We don't get off the ship in Nassau, but we would like to in the other ports. Does anyone know of a market or something like that within walking/rolling distance of the port? We would be happy with just a little shopping, or maybe a park or something. Most of the Disney port adventures require you to be able to walk and to fold your wheelchair. Neither of our wheelchairs fold, and my husband cannot walk.

Also, how do we work the money on the islands?

Just looking for your favorite things to do in St. Thomas and Tortola.

TIA
Are you sure you're going to Nassau? Eastern Caribbean itineraries on DCL go to St. Thomas, Tortola, and Castaway Cay, but not Nassau.

Castaway Cay is accessible-they even have special wheelchairs you can use on the beach and there are paved pathway to navigate around the island. On Castaway Cay you can use your key to the world card or magicband+ to pay for items (just like you would on the ship).

On the other islands, you can use credit card and most places will accept American cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter