Wheelchair and GAC

goofygreb

Mouseketeer
I'm starting to freak out about my up coming trip :worried: . I had surgery on both my feet in November, and thought I would be healed and good to go by now, but the surgery has made my feet worse and I am still not recovered, in fact I have actually had to quit my job because of this (I stand all day).
I can do some walking, but now standing for long periods is going to be more of a problem. I've been reading a lot on these boards about renting a wheel chair, which I think I will have to do, but I don't want be in the chair the entire trip. I would still like to walk a little and be "with" my family. It's going to be hard to not walk next to my DH, and to have him behind me pushing the chair. I'll feel like I'm not a part of the vacation. I've also been reading about a GAC, and was wondering if this is something that would help me out since I won't be in a chair the whole time (maybe I will :confused3 )? I'm also freaking out about all the people who might not understand why I'll be in a wheelchair, I know I shouldn't concern myself with the ignorance of others, but it will still be stressfull. My DD's are freaking out that it will be embarrassing if I'm in a chair, I told them that it will be more embarrassing having me hobble behind them!! They are at that wonderful age where everything is embarrassing ;) (they love me and will help me :love2: ) Sorry this is long, I'm really looking forward to my trip and am trying to figure out the best way to make it as easy as possible for me to handle my new restrictions. :) We are going to be at WDW end of July into Aug. With the sun and heat of summer, how hot will the wheelchair seat get? Is it like vinyl car seats? Should I bring something to sit on, I don't want to rip the skin off the back of my legs :eek: !! Thanks for listening, these boards have saved me from total boredom in my continuing recovery, thanks :wave2:

First of all, welcome to disABILTIES.

Next, for stamina and/or mobility issues Guest Services will not give a GAC but will suggest using a wheelchair or ECV. The general recommendation of people here is an ECV is better than a wc because it gives you more control and independence. Look more toward an off-site rental. See the "disABILTIES FAQ" which is the 4th item down in this forum's index.

If you are worried about the seat getting hot, you can bring a towel with you to sit on.

Next is a series of questions to ask yourself (and also your DDs) and the answers.

1. Are you disabled (at least temporarily)? Yes!

2. Do the people with you (your family) know that you are disabled? Yes!

3. Is it likely that you will meet people at WDW who know you and your family (and do not know you are disabled)? Probably not.

4. Are you going to be seen by people who you don't know (and will probably never meet again)? Definitely yes.

5. Do you have any reason to care what the people you meet (who you will probably never meet again) think about seeing an apparently healthy person (you) in a wc or ECV. Absolutely not.

6. Will you and your family have a better vacation with you in a wc or ECV than if you try to "macho it out" and not use one? Absolutely yes.

Come down, use an ECV or wc, and have a good time!

Cheshire Figment said:
6. Will you and your family have a better vacation with you in a wc or ECV than if you try to "macho it out" and not use one? Absolutely yes.

Come down, use an ECV or wc, and have a good time!

Good questions & answers, Cheshire! Goofygreb, rent that wc or ECV & have a wonderful family vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter