Wheelchair at Dolphin

Cathy Crow

Earning My Ears
Has anyone stayed at the Swan/Dolphin with a wheelchair? My Mom broke her hip and we have a trip booked for November. Should I order a chair from the hotel? Any special rooms. I really wanted a room with a balcony but an oversized room would be great. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Res said their handicapped rooms overlook the parking lot. Not a great view a balcony would be great. Should I try another resort?
Thanks

Hi and welcome to disABILITIES.

If you go to the index of this forum you will find the "disABILITIES FAQ" . It gives lots of information aboout wheelchairs and ECVs.

I cannot help you as far as the Dolphin is concerned. However, if you call the Dolphin directly and talk with their "Front Office" you will actually be talking to someone at the hotel. The reservations people are usually at a call center. If you are intererested in one of the Disney hotels call Special Reservations at 407-939-7807; they can give you the information and assistance you need.

The Swan & Dolphin are required to follow Disney hotel operation rules but don't do things the same as the WDW hotels. The Swan (at least a few years back when I specifically asked about this) does not have their own wcs. At the time I asked, they said they would give info re rental companies. Personally, I would just rent from offsite. It is very reasonable, you know you are getting a suitable and in good condition wc, it will be there when you need it (super key), and you don't have to deal with the hotel, which may very well not be up to par in dealing with your needs. In my experience with the Swan (and one stay at the Dolphin), they are very nice and try to be helpful but are not particularly well-versed with special needs requests.

:wave: Cupcake

We really like the swan and dolphin. I will say, it does take a little bit of time to get oriented in the hotel, as they don't really have lots of signs telling you where things are. Once you get the lay of the land your great. I think they have like a bay of 6 elevators, in each wing at the dolphin. That way you don't have to wait very long for an elevator. They give you a map on check in, take a good look at it. We've been to dolphin 3 times, and swan once, and now we know where things are. Plus, we like dolphin a little more since tubbies is there, and they have a better workout facility to keep up on rehab exercises.

If she has a messed up hip, she will probably like the heavenly beds more than the disney beds in the disney property hotels. The heavenly beds are awesome. I have knee and hip problems, bursitus, etc, and sleeping there is wonderful. So, soft, her hip will probably love it. It led us to purchase one of those temporpedic mattresses. So now its hard for us to goto the reg disney resorts, since they have the usual hard mattress which leaves me tossing and turning because of the pain. So, for a hip problem, the swan dolphin has the best beds around.

The one thing that is frustrating about the boat side entrance, of the dolphin, is that the it has escalators when you
first go in the door. You do however, have access to several elevators, you just have to walk down the halls to get to them. It just is a bit annoying, pretty entrance there, and you can't use it. The bus side, you just roll out with the walkers. I'm semi-mobile, so we never request an accessible room, so I can't answer those questions. I figure they are for someone who really needs the special room, and that isn't me.

We always rent offsite for wheelchairs. They are always ready and waiting for us. We have use walker several times.
Good luck and have a great stay
Dolphin, swan is one of our favorite places to stay. Mainly because of the beds, and my leg problems. Your mom will probably get a better night sleep in those beds than in a regular hard mattress. Plus, we love the location, and with great rates, you can't be the price.
Depending on your party, renting a scooter is probably the
way to go. That way someone doesn't have to push her the
whole time, and she will have more independance. It takes a little getting use to driving those things, but she can get use to it. Have her practice at some of the local stores, that have those
scooters. You know run into a few aisles, get use to backing up and get her more comfortable,

Connie

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I talked to the people at the Dolphin and I can rent a wheelchair. We too always stay at the Dolphin and always get a great room with a view and balcony. I have been considering a first floor room with a paito. Thought that might be nice. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter