Wheelchair fireworks viewing

We will be going to WDW in a week and a half and while we haven't registered with the DAS program, we will have a guest with moderate cerebral palsy who will ride around the parks in a rented wheelchair but can stand in lines.
My question is, can we use the wheelchair viewing area for HEA without disability documentation? Her disability is obvious when she is up walking, but she tires if having to stand for long periods of time.

We will be going to WDW in a week and a half and while we haven't registered with the DAS program, we will have a guest with moderate cerebral palsy who will ride around the parks in a rented wheelchair but can stand in lines.
My question is, can we use the wheelchair viewing area for HEA without disability documentation? Her disability is obvious when she is up walking, but she tires if having to stand for long periods of time.
Yep! Those areas are for people in a mobility device and they don’t check whether you have DAS.

Is there a map with these locations listed? I would love to know, it's our first time going.

Another thought if your friend is able to stand long enough to watch the fireworks - I like to watch HEA on Main Street because I like the projections they do on the buildings. I find a spot on the street with everyone else and sit in the ECV until the fireworks start and then stand up. Everyone there is standing so I'm not blocking a view. I did this for the crazy busy 4th of July fireworks last summer also and it worked well even though I was by myself. I didn't die when everyone turned around to leave the park - haha! I've also used the disability viewing area in Epcot but parked behind everyone at the very back (up against the Port of Entry store which is kind of on a slight incline) and then I can stand up with no one in mobility devices behind me. My friend in her rollator was with me and she was sitting on it then stood as well. Just wanted to note that only those first rows in disability areas are the only ones who can see very well in my experience.

I've also had a CM try to park me behind a tall concrete pillar in the MK and I could not see anything - even if I stood up. I disliked telling her nope to that but no one standing or sitting could see where she wanted to put me. There's also lots of shrubbery in front of where they seat people -and sometimes walkways where people will be walking in front of you if you are seated. Just be prepared for her not to have a great view seated (although it is possible to get just the right spot I'm sure).

If your friend can't stand to watch them, make sure you arrive early enough to get along the front row or you will very likely have family members standing in front of her. Even tho they may crouch down or be sitting before they start, inevitably everyone that is able will stand up when they start.

Yes we space is reserved space, but fills up quickly and hard to access.last.minute so show up at least 30minutes on busy months. It gets crazy around the hub traffic. It's great they do this at mk.

Most lines at WDW are wheelchair-accessible, so most of the time there's no need for her to tire herself out standing.

Yes we space is reserved space, but fills up quickly and hard to access.last.minute so show up at least 30minutes on busy months. It gets crazy around the hub traffic. It's great they do this at mk.
I would say at least an hour. We get food and use that as a meal break.

I used the space recently. Arrived 845 for 920 show. Second row about 1/3 of the way filled. My view was obstructed by a show light pole, a spirally bush, and a regular light pole- and then the people who had been sitting in the first row stood for the show and obstructed even more of my view. I could see only the top half of the castle and most of the door. The first person who came after me immediately left because of the obstructed view- think it was even worse than mine. They must fill from the side opposite the entrance towards the entrance and cannot skip places. It was a pretty bad view of the projections though anything in the crowd would’ve been worse. Was pretty disappointed that the able bodied in the first row stood in front of people in chairs. They should’ve moved behind us.

We checked out the reserved space last time we went for DD and definitely noped out of there. Extremely packed and not a large enough space at all. We ended up paying for a dessert party so we could go to the reserved fenced in area. They make everyone stand when the fireworks start, which sucks because we have to maneuver so DD can still see, but at least there's breathing room.

I used the space recently. Arrived 845 for 920 show. Second row about 1/3 of the way filled. My view was obstructed by a show light pole, a spirally bush, and a regular light pole- and then the people who had been sitting in the first row stood for the show and obstructed even more of my view. I could see only the top half of the castle and most of the door. The first person who came after me immediately left because of the obstructed view- think it was even worse than mine. They must fill from the side opposite the entrance towards the entrance and cannot skip places. It was a pretty bad view of the projections though anything in the crowd would’ve been worse. Was pretty disappointed that the able bodied in the first row stood in front of people in chairs. They should’ve moved behind us.

When I took my 88 yr old father and 83 yr old mother in wheelchairs a few years ago the same thing happened. All the family members that were sitting beside the front row wheelchairs stood up and my parents could not see the castle much at all. It was really disappointing. I would have thought they would have thought about the people behind them but it was more of a matter of get the front row if you want a chance to see. The space was significantly less crowded tho which made it more tolerable for me.

CMs actually come by and tell the able bodied folk to stand and not sit-- even on the wall. Suppose it's a safety issue -- same with general viewing - no sitting. :(

CMs actually come by and tell the able bodied folk to stand and not sit-- even on the wall. Suppose it's a safety issue -- same with general viewing - no sitting. :(
They didn’t the night I was there and only about half the people stood. Sounds like the CM there the night I watched didn’t follow protocol or maybe protocol changed.

They didn’t the night I was there and only about half the people stood. Sounds like the CM there the night I watched didn’t follow protocol or maybe protocol changed.
It's protocol in case a crowd starts to stampede. Anyone on the ground will get trampled and will become seriously injured or possibly killed. Having said that and understanding the reasoning, I wish they would allow sitting because it's just easier for everyone. However, I still don't understand why they make people stand in the fenced in area for the dessert party attendees though. It's very unlikely people will jump the fence in a panic, they're more likely to get crushed against it.

We had a similar issue with the standing - a whole group associated with two people in scooters actually moved in front of us - they had originally been about 10' to the right, and walked over right in front of my son in a chair.
The sad part is I tried to help him by putting my leg up on his chair and having him sit in my knee. He got a view- but in the process I hurt my ankle and couldn't walk for two days. :headache: Paired with our first stay at OKW and ending up on the 3rd floor of a building way out in the boonies... it was an unfortunate couple days, but I'm glad to report the injury wasn't permanent, only painful for a moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter