Wheelchair fitting into a sedan trunk?

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
Will an average sized adult wheelchair, not the supersized wheelchair, fit into the trunk of a full size sedan car or do I need a minivan or SUV?

Thanks

I depends on the trunk and the wheelchair plus what's already stored in the trunk.

I know I can store my folded wheelchair inside the trunk of my Toyota Solara(2 door Camry) with LOTS of room for other things. I stored a spare wheelchair in my trunk along with all of my luggage, 2 cases of water and other junk when I drove down to WDW for a 2 week trip. But one of the reasons I choose the Solara was because it had a large trunk.

I got my DW's into the trunk of a Mustang, I had to take the wheels and foot stirrups off but it all got in there.

I know that a travel scooter (larger size of the travel ones) will fit in the trunk of a mustang convertible. It ain't pretty, but it will fit, and I know that my scooter is a lot larger than a standard wheelchair. I can fully put the scooter in the trunk of a Ford Fusion also.

I went to Disneyland on Saturday with my best friend. She rented a Mustang convertible when she flew in, and my rigid manual wheelchair would NOT fit in the trunk of the car. We ended up putting the chair in the back seat where it fit just fine. On my chair the back wheels come off and the seat back folds down, but the seat does not fold side to side like an accordion.

If you are thinking of buying a WC thats portable, consider one with detatchable back wheels, armrests, and footrests. We were able one time to put DD wc in the backseat of a volkswagon beatle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter