Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

No, the "Florida special" rooms have hand rails at the toilet but not the shower. Seems odd to me.

That video appears to be a "wheelchair accessible with tub." I didn't notice a transfer bench for the bath but one can be requested or rented.

So does the Florida special accessibility rooms have the automatic doors? I'd like to have that so my mom can be more independent with the ECV and not need someone to hold the door for her all the time.

So does the Florida special accessibility rooms have the automatic doors? I'd like to have that so my mom can be more independent with the ECV and not need someone to hold the door for her all the time.
No, I don’t believe so, I think only the wheelchair accessible rooms do - and even then it isn’t standard, only some resorts have them.

I've got my vaccines so I thought I'd head down to Orlando for a Universal/Disney trip. I'm staying at the Royal Pacific Hotel on Universal property. It's a short water taxi ride or medium walk to Citywalk and onto the parks. It's one of Universal's deluxe hotels so you get complementary Express Pass when you stay here. It's South Seas themed but it's no Polynesian. However it is also cheaper than the Polynesian. I'd put it as a Moderate Plus hotel. The room is 335 square feet as compared to 314 feet at Port Orleans Riverside, or 415-476 at the Polynesian.

I'm in Tower 1 in room 1105. The exit to this tower leads right to the pool and it's the closest tower to the walk to the parks. But it's the farthest tower to the water taxi which is in the opposite direction.

It has 2 queen sized beds, a fridge, a desk, a coffee maker and 2 chairs. There is no table and the dresser is smaller than it looks because the fridge and coffee maker are inside the dresser. There is a connecting door so I guess it's possible to ask for connecting rooms if you need that.

The beds are perfect for me at 23 inches high. That's the same height I have at home for my bed and about the same height as my wheelchair seat. The bed has a metal open frame underneath.

The bathroom looks pretty good for me. The toilet is a regular elongated toilet seat at 17 1/2" high. The shower bench is 18" high. Both of those should work OK for me to transfer on and off. The shower controls are great and are easily reachable from the bench. The mirror over the sink is terrible. I can just barely see the top of my head in it. But I do travel with a small mirror as a back up.

Attachments

• WCDay02A.JPG
    WCDay02A.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 14
  • WCDay02B.JPG
    WCDay02B.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 14
  • WCDay02C.JPG
    WCDay02C.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 14
  • WCDay02D.JPG
    WCDay02D.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 15
Wanted to report about loading an ECV onto the Disney buses while we were there in April. This is the only Disability thread I'm on that I can do that, but if it is not appropriate to this thread, mods, please move to more appropriate one.

My friend and I both had rented scooters from ScooterBug. She had never had a scooter at WDW except for the park rental ones, so loading and unloading on buses what totally new to her.

I have to say, that overall, the bus drivers were wonderful... they gave you time to attempt the load and unload yourself, but almost all would jump in to help if that wasn't working. All but one driver was glad to "take over" the driving and parking on the bus, and assist with unloaded to expedite the process.

I've loaded/unloaded a scooter many times, and usually can do it pretty well, but sometimes I get a bit too crooked, and it's just helpful for the driver to jump in and help.

One driver, however was less than helpful and would not only wouldn't help, but seemed unable to tell my friend how to get the scooter loaded and parked. He seemed averse to touching the scooter. When I told him that she had never done it before, he actually told me that they are "not allowed to touch the scooters" which is totally bunk. He would not even help her "make the corner" from the ramp to the aisle, and she had to get off the scooter and try to lift the back end over the little lip that some buses have. She at least was capable of doing that, but not everyone using a scooter would be.

Every other driver assisted by either disengaging the power with the little switch in the back and pushing it into place, or by getting in the front and "driving" for her.

So, if you need a scooter yourself, or are traveling with someone who does, be aware that 99% of the bus drivers are friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable about getting them on and off their buses quickly. However, you may run into one that seems "challenged" by the whole scooter loading process.

Wanted to report about loading an ECV onto the Disney buses while we were there in April. This is the only Disability thread I'm on that I can do that, but if it is not appropriate to this thread, mods, please move to more appropriate one.

My friend and I both had rented scooters from ScooterBug. She had never had a scooter at WDW except for the park rental ones, so loading and unloading on buses what totally new to her.

I have to say, that overall, the bus drivers were wonderful... they gave you time to attempt the load and unload yourself, but almost all would jump in to help if that wasn't working. All but one driver was glad to "take over" the driving and parking on the bus, and assist with unloaded to expedite the process.

I've loaded/unloaded a scooter many times, and usually can do it pretty well, but sometimes I get a bit too crooked, and it's just helpful for the driver to jump in and help.

One driver, however was less than helpful and would not only wouldn't help, but seemed unable to tell my friend how to get the scooter loaded and parked. He seemed averse to touching the scooter. When I told him that she had never done it before, he actually told me that they are "not allowed to touch the scooters" which is totally bunk. He would not even help her "make the corner" from the ramp to the aisle, and she had to get off the scooter and try to lift the back end over the little lip that some buses have. She at least was capable of doing that, but not everyone using a scooter would be.

Every other driver assisted by either disengaging the power with the little switch in the back and pushing it into place, or by getting in the front and "driving" for her.

So, if you need a scooter yourself, or are traveling with someone who does, be aware that 99% of the bus drivers are friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable about getting them on and off their buses quickly. However, you may run into one that seems "challenged" by the whole scooter loading process.

Actually...

The drivers are *not* supposed to touch the scooters, other than to tie them down (using the straps and hooks to secure the scooter for transit) and release them from the restraints once the bus has arrived at the Guest's destination. Guests are supposed to be able to drive the scooter onto the bus, park it and drive off at their destination with no assistance from the driver. If the Guest needs help with the scooter, someone in their travel party, or another adult Guest may assist them with getting the mobility device on/off the bus, and the Guest can then walk up/down the ramp. But since I have been using a mobility device at WDW (more than 7 years now) the rule has always been that the driver does *not* help the Guest - and if they do, it's Pixie Dust.

Any time a driver helps you - either by actively parking the scooter for you, or just helping to "push" it into place on the bus, they are giving you some Pixie Dust.

So you and your friend got a *lot* of Pixie Dust on your last trip! Congratulations! 🙂

Actually...

The drivers are *not* supposed to touch the scooters, other than to tie them down (using the straps and hooks to secure the scooter for transit) and release them from the restraints once the bus has arrived at the Guest's destination. Guests are supposed to be able to drive the scooter onto the bus, park it and drive off at their destination with no assistance from the driver. If the Guest needs help with the scooter, someone in their travel party, or another adult Guest may assist them with getting the mobility device on/off the bus, and the Guest can then walk up/down the ramp. But since I have been using a mobility device at WDW (more than 7 years now) the rule has always been that the driver does *not* help the Guest - and if they do, it's Pixie Dust.

Any time a driver helps you - either by actively parking the scooter for you, or just helping to "push" it into place on the bus, they are giving you some Pixie Dust.

So you and your friend got a *lot* of Pixie Dust on your last trip! Congratulations! 🙂
Thanks Mamabunny, I didn't know that. I guess I've been very lucky on my other trips where the drivers have helped! This was the first time one actually said anything about them not supposed to help. It's not like I'm there multiple times a year, but usually at least once a year, and have had the Pixie Dust each time before.... While I always thank them for their help, in the future, I will be extra extra sure to let them know how much I appreciate any help offered, now that I know that they really don't have to.

In reality, if someone is having trouble with the scooter, it really does slow the process of loading the bus, and I can see where many of the drivers just jump in and help.

This one particular driver had some issues of his own, and didn't really seem like a "people person" to begin with, so that I guess that added to the stress of getting my friend loaded. If we had encountered him later in the trip when she was a bit more experienced with driving the scooter on, it may have gone smoother....

There is a trick to getting these things on the bus quickly, and it doesn't help when you feel like everyone in the line that is tired at the end of the day is wishing they had gotten a bus without scooters....

:teeth:

Thanks Mamabunny, I didn't know that. I guess I've been very lucky on my other trips where the drivers have helped! This was the first time one actually said anything about them not supposed to help. It's not like I'm there multiple times a year, but usually at least once a year, and have had the Pixie Dust each time before.... While I always thank them for their help, in the future, I will be extra extra sure to let them know how much I appreciate any help offered, now that I know that they really don't have to.

In reality, if someone is having trouble with the scooter, it really does slow the process of loading the bus, and I can see where many of the drivers just jump in and help.

This one particular driver had some issues of his own, and didn't really seem like a "people person" to begin with, so that I guess that added to the stress of getting my friend loaded. If we had encountered him later in the trip when she was a bit more experienced with driving the scooter on, it may have gone smoother....

There is a trick to getting these things on the bus quickly, and it doesn't help when you feel like everyone in the line that is tired at the end of the day is wishing they had gotten a bus without scooters....

:teeth:

We (my family and I) always try to make sure and thank the drivers for all they do, and their patience. I have seen some Guests treat them pretty badly, and I have a *ton* of respect for them - they are often the first CM someone encounters every day, and the last one they see at night, and so they tend to get folks who are either rushing around for rope drop and those first rides of the day, or who are cranky, hangry and tired at the end of the day.

You are so right about loading and unloading scooters being an issue - especially in those critical early hours of the day, and then at Park close. We tend to let the crowds go ahead (we enjoy a leisurely breakfast at the Resort while everyone else is frantically running around the Parks LOL) and at night we either leave *before* fireworks (pre-COVID) or Park close, or wait around until the Park is pretty well empty, (Hello, shops! Let's see what you have for sale! LOL) and the buses are pretty much back to "normal". It cuts down on a lot of stress for everyone - me, my family, the driver and the other Guests.

I used to feel bad about being the person who was "holding things up" by using a scooter, but I don't anymore. I realized that I have the same right to be there as every other Guest does. I pay the same prices, stay in the same hotels, follow the same rules. The reason that Disney boards Guests with mobility devices first is the same reason that airlines do - once you get those folks on board and settled, everyone else will load really quickly. If you leave them to last, then (inevitably) someone has to move out of the way, and it takes longer to board the Guest who has to use the mobility device, and everyone feels worse about the whole procedure.

Any time anyone at WDW *dares* to make a crack at me about how "it must be *nice* to be the first one on the bus!" I just give them the biggest ol' fake smile I have, and say (in my best mamabunny southern drawl) "Oh... bless your little heart!!!" And I go on, and ignore them from there. I learned a long time ago that Karma has an infinite memory, and someday, either they or someone they love will be right where I am... and I hope and pray for their sake that they find the world a more comfortable and accommodating space than when I encountered them.

So, to recap: Ignore them, for they know not what they do (can I get an "Amen" from the choir?) and remember that Disney wants you there as much as you want to be there - and that's what matters! Have a great time, make friends with the bus drivers (and boat captains, and Skyliner Hosts, and everyone else you meet!) and I sincerely hope you continue to be Pixie Dusted every day of every trip you make to Disney World in the future! 🙂

I'm over at Pop Century and thought I'd post an update on the rooms here. The last time I posted about them was probably in 2017(?) when I was so upset about the newly renovated roll-in shower rooms with the cloth seat on the shower seat. That cloth seat is still there and still unusable by me. But I did drive down to WDW so I brought my own bench.

It's a nice room. I'm in room 3122 and it's one of the showers where you have to turn the corner to reach the bench. WCDay06A.JPGWCDay06B.JPGWCDay06C.JPGWCDay06C1.JPGWCDay06D.JPGWCDay06E.JPG The bed is 21 1/2 inches from the floor so a easy height to transfer onto and not to bad to get back up into my chair from. The toilet seat is 18 1/2 inches high and works for me because of the placement of the grab bar.

The shower seat is 16 1/2 inches high and is made of cloth. That's way low for me plus the cloth doesn't give me a solid surface to push off of. The bench also doesn't give a good surface for me to sit on since it moves under you. I've written to WDW about this and was hoping they'd replace these seats. Maybe they at least learned their lesson and the other renovations will have a solid bench. I visited POFQ in 2019 and the room had a nice solid bench in the shower.

I'm over at Pop Century and thought I'd post an update on the rooms here. The last time I posted about them was probably in 2017(?) when I was so upset about the newly renovated roll-in shower rooms with the cloth seat on the shower seat. That cloth seat is still there and still unusable by me. But I did drive down to WDW so I brought my own bench.

It's a nice room. I'm in room 3122 and it's one of the showers where you have to turn the corner to reach the bench. View attachment 576333View attachment 576334View attachment 576335View attachment 576336View attachment 576337View attachment 576338 The bed is 21 1/2 inches from the floor so a easy height to transfer onto and not to bad to get back up into my chair from. The toilet seat is 18 1/2 inches high and works for me because of the placement of the grab bar.

The shower seat is 16 1/2 inches high and is made of cloth. That's way low for me plus the cloth doesn't give me a solid surface to push off of. The bench also doesn't give a good surface for me to sit on since it moves under you. I've written to WDW about this and was hoping they'd replace these seats. Maybe they at least learned their lesson and the other renovations will have a solid bench. I visited POFQ in 2019 and the room had a nice solid bench in the shower.

I have been talking with managers and Guest Relations and anyone who will listen about those horrible "sling" seats in the shower since they started adding them! I figure if enough of us keep griping about it, eventually they might get the message - and at least never install those anywhere again!!! I hope they didn't replace the the solid seats at WL during the renovations there.

Possible talking points if you encounter an opportunity:
- *NOT* hygienic/how does WDW sanitize them between Guests?
- Difficult -and NOT safe- for some transfers, both to/from the seat
- "sling" position not comfortable, and makes self-care difficult

I have been talking with managers and Guest Relations and anyone who will listen about those horrible "sling" seats in the shower since they started adding them! I figure if enough of us keep griping about it, eventually they might get the message - and at least never install those anywhere again!!! I hope they didn't replace the the solid seats at WL during the renovations there.

Possible talking points if you encounter an opportunity:
- *NOT* hygienic/how does WDW sanitize them between Guests?
- Difficult -and NOT safe- for some transfers, both to/from the seat
- "sling" position not comfortable, and makes self-care difficult

I agree so much! I sent letters, talked to Guest Relations, and talked to the staff at Pop Century. I did fly down and stayed at Pop Century after I knew about the sling seats. I called up and spoke to a Housekeeping manager. We talked and emailed each other to find something that would work. He made sure a large stand alone shower bench was gotten and placed in my room before I arrived. It worked but I don't want to have to go through that every time I visit.

Can anyone tell me if you can fit two ECV in the disability room in pop century I have had one before but now I’m coming back in November and going to need two in there.

Yes, folks have reported fitting 2 ECVs in a standard room at POP. I think most commonly 1 fits near the window and the other in front of the connecting door (or that area if your room doesn't connect).

Thank you I will give it a try was just worried
We fit two Maxima's at All Star Sports which are some of the smallest rooms. There, the trick was to move the table and chairs to the side of the TV closest to the bathroom. We had asked them to remove the table, but they never did, so we worked around it. I am sure you won't have an issue at POP.

We fit two Maxima's at All Star Sports which are some of the smallest rooms. There, the trick was to move the table and chairs to the side of the TV closest to the bathroom. We had asked them to remove the table, but they never did, so we worked around it. I am sure you won't have an issue at POP.
Once Sports rooms are renovated, removing the table will not be not an option, same as POP. When the Murphy bed is stowed there is plenty of room, but once opened maneuvering space gets tight. But space for 2 ECVs is doable. There are some pictures floating around here; I’ll try to dig them up when I get time.

Not sure this is the right place. We have requested a hearing accessible room with visual alarms because my wife is deaf. I wasn’t sure if the wheelchair accessible rooms are being used as hearing accessible rooms too. We have a garden view, king bed at BWI and it was the only one on the property during our stay. Does anyone know? I’m just wondering if it is a wheelchair accessible room too.

Did you reserve a hearing-accessible room? Or simply request one? Whether it is wheelchair-accessible would be in the description. Some rooms are both, some one or the other.

I specifically reserved it: Room Type: Gdn HearAcc-VisAlrm Notif K Dybd. It seemed when I was looking at Touring Plans, they had wheelchair/accessible and hearing accessible together in the room search so that's what prompted me to ask. I was trying to get an idea of where those types of rooms are. Thank you!

Room Type: Gdn HearAcc-VisAlrm Notif K Dybd
They do list rooms with both, but that description would just be hearing accessible features. It’s possible they could put you in a wheelchair accessible room with the hearing accessibility features, but unlikely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter