Wheelchair navigation

millie0312

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! We are headed to the parks in Dec and my 9 year old will be in a wheelchair this year. Any tips for things to make it easier or ways to navigate with it better? Posting here since it’s Disneyland specifically we’re wanting to navigate. We’ve done strollers or special need strollers with him in the past but his mobility this year is pretty bad and he will need to take it all the way to the ride and depending on how he feels he may not really be able to get out for the rides he can stay in it for.
Also, any tips for ways to add storage for like water bottles and layers to his chair that someone wouldn’t bother or try to take? We typically store our jackets in a stroller but he’s too big for one this year and we really count on the storage but don’t want someone to grab a backpack on the back and take it either (we won’t leave valuables in the chair but even so).
Also how do we navigate the higher crowd areas as well as shows like woc, parades and fireworks? Is there any special place that he can park with us (just myself and my older daughter) so he can sit in his chair but still see and not get bumped by people?
Getting a bit anxious about how to navigate with a chair this year so I’d love any helpful tips anyone has! Thanks!

I can help!!! I am a DL local with a pass and take my mom in a wheelchair all the time. Seriously, you can take it through the vast majority of the lines right up to the ride vehicle. When they ask if he can transfer and walk a short distance, you can say whether he can transfer but that you need to take the wheelchair as close as you can to the ride.

I always have a backpack on the back of our chair with things like jackets/hoodies/unopened drinks and it just hangs there. Especially bringing the wheelchair all the way to the ride, it will be near a cast member the whole time. In the bathrooms, sometimes she goes in the handicap stall if available or can use a regular one and I park the wheelchair literally right outside one of our stall doors (best if we are next to each other), so I can see it through the crack in the door if it seems like it will move. I also have bought stroller cup holders to put on the side for my mom to have a drink (I do regularly break those though) and I have a stroller organizer on the back too so I can put a drink for myself. It is not perfect but does work.

For parades, there is always a handicap section (not exactly sure where it is these days). We honestly just get there early and find a place on a curb. Depending on the space, I will stand behind her for the parade or will sit right on the curb in front of her. She can easily see over my head when I am sitting there. I know WOC has a handicap section, but we rarely stay in the parks that late and the huge crowds in a small area overwhelm me so it just does not work well for us.

Oh and one last thought ---- I swear the wheelchair has an amazing cloaking device as it always seems like my Mom becomes invisible with people stepping right in front of her or almost between her legs a few times. There have been a few close calls, but they are always because of those who are paying zero attention as to where they are going. Just be on high alert and you may have a few close calls.

I can help!!! I am a DL local with a pass and take my mom in a wheelchair all the time. Seriously, you can take it through the vast majority of the lines right up to the ride vehicle. When they ask if he can transfer and walk a short distance, you can say whether he can transfer but that you need to take the wheelchair as close as you can to the ride.

I always have a backpack on the back of our chair with things like jackets/hoodies/unopened drinks and it just hangs there. Especially bringing the wheelchair all the way to the ride, it will be near a cast member the whole time. In the bathrooms, sometimes she goes in the handicap stall if available or can use a regular one and I park the wheelchair literally right outside one of our stall doors (best if we are next to each other), so I can see it through the crack in the door if it seems like it will move. I also have bought stroller cup holders to put on the side for my mom to have a drink (I do regularly break those though) and I have a stroller organizer on the back too so I can put a drink for myself. It is not perfect but does work.

For parades, there is always a handicap section (not exactly sure where it is these days). We honestly just get there early and find a place on a curb. Depending on the space, I will stand behind her for the parade or will sit right on the curb in front of her. She can easily see over my head when I am sitting there. I know WOC has a handicap section, but we rarely stay in the parks that late and the huge crowds in a small area overwhelm me so it just does not work well for us.
This is so so helpful!! Thank you!! A last minute trip trip is overwhelming enough for me as I usually plan a year in advance, but adding in a wheelchair and not very mobile autistic kiddo means I’m on overload trying to plan for it to be successful. This eases my mind a ton!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter