Wheelchair or Transport Chair

Kellykins1218

DIS Veteran
My autistic 10 year old has outgrown his stroller so on our last trip we rented a wheelchair. I'm going to buy our own for our next trip since the price will be about the same. I don't know if I should get a lighter transport chair (4 small wheels) or get a regular wheelchair with the larger back wheels. Are the transport chairs easy to push? It just seems that the wheelchair would be a smoother ride. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Get a regular wheel chair if you are going to use it for things like Disney. The transport chairs can be difficult to push. We had one for my mom when she was ill and it worked for us, but we only used it in stores or to and from doctor's appointments.

Get a regular wheel chair if you are going to use it for things like Disney. The transport chairs can be difficult to push. We had one for my mom when she was ill and it worked for us, but we only used it in stores or to and from doctor's appointments.

Thanks, that's what I was worried about.

I agree with the PP, go with a regular wheelchair. I have a transport for my mom and it is great for taking her to the store or for going through the airport, but for a full day I think it would be harder to push over all around the parks.

Get a regular wheel chair if you are going to use it for things like Disney.
I totally agree...I have a rollator with the four small wheels like a transport chair and those can tend to get caught up in some of the walkways at Disney. At least the regular wheelchair has the large rear wheels making it a little easier to push

One more vote for a regular wheelchair. My cousin had a transport chair for my aunt. It was only used after she pretty much stayed in bed all the time, just to get her out to the car. I don't think they are meant to cover a lot of ground such as you do at Disney. Also the small wheels getting caught...

Thanks! I was really only considering the transport chair because of it being so lightweight. I'm definitely going to go with the regular chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter