• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchairs?

Tinkerbel

Earning My Ears
We have just decided to take a quick trip with my mother. And I was wondering if anybody
knew if the Boardwalk provides wheelchairs or the moterized scooters for disabled guest. Is there a charge? How much?
Thanks
Tinkerbel

Hi,
The DVC resorts provide a non motorized wheelchair at no charge.
I don't think they have motorized ones, but, you can get them at the park, or rent one from an offsite supplier. Don't have a number for them, but, I bet someone on the disabilities board could help.

All resorts have a limited number of regular wheelchairs available on a first-come first-served basis. You can rent wheelchairs and ECVs for the week from a variety of companies, Care Medical , Walker Mobility , Randy's Mobillity , Colonial Medical all have been recommended by folks on the disABILITIES Board .

Click on the link in my signature for more helpful information, in particular the GAC information and wheelchair tips which may be helpful to you.

teri already posted all the links I would have, but I just wanted to add to the invitation to visit the disABILITIES Board.

In 1998 and 1999 I was recovering from back surgery. When I called for our reservation I indicated I would need a wheelchair. They told me they would note it on the reservation, but it would not be guaranteed. I took my chances, and both times there was one when I got there, it was no charge.

Anne

hi: my mom was with us on a family trip in may of 2000. we stayed at bwv. she was able to get a wheelchair at no charge for our stay.

Some people have taken the phone numbers of the rental places along with them. That way, if you are not able to get a wheelchair at the resort, you can call one of the outside vendors from your hotel and rent a wheelchair to be delivered to you at your resort.

I just wanted to add our experience with resort wheelchairs. The ones I've gotten at OKW don't seem to be in as good a repair as the rental units at the parks. Whenever we travel without bringing our own, we go ahead and pay the daily rate when we get to the parks, plus you don't have the hassle of loading them on and off the bus or in a rental car. If the person in need of the chair is fairly ambulatory & able to get to and from the park entrances OK, then I'd rent at the park. If you do need one to use full time, I'd rent from an outside source.

Be sure and pack your handicap placard if you'll have a rental car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter