• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When are you "celebrating" Christmas with family this year?

We generally have the morning here at home, then go to DH's parents' (about 20 minutes away) for dinner and family stuff. Once in a while we go out of state to stay with my family.

This year we will be traveling to see family on Christmas day. Then we will see the other side sometime during the week before New Year’s

We have reservations at our favorite restaurant for a late lunch on Christmas Eve
We go to our daughter’s house an hour away to spend the day with her,SiL the 2 grandsons and her in-laws. Will not be seeing our son as he will not be traveling to CT from Colorado

I don't have a family to spend it with but I will be going to the shelter I volunteer with and will spend the day visiting with the animals there. There won't be many humans around because they are spending the time with their families. It seemed like a great opportunity for me to do something fun for the day.

My aunt will host the usual Christmas Eve party in the basement for her and my late uncle's family. They have seven kids between them so it's usually quite a crush. I'll probably see my sister on the 26th and exchange gifts with her; I'll give her the gifts for her kids and she'll give me the gifts *from* her kids then.

We have finally arrived at a place in our lives where there is only one Christmas event, it's at our house on 12/25. Everyone is either on vacation or retired, there is no schedule conflict. There will be some other times we get together between 12/24 and 1/1, but it will just be for some nice dinners---no big event. 🎅

My normally celebrate with my family on Christmas Eve... and my husband's family on Christmas afternoon. We haven't finalized plans for this year. Hopefully COVID won't spoil it.

We usually see family on the 24th, 25th, and 26th but this year we are going to do Christmas the weekend before. We are heading to Disney for MW and don't want to risk being sick or having to quarantine right before.

College-aged DD has to work in her town, so won't be home for Christmas -- she'll be home right after exams for a few days, so she'll take her gifts back with her (good for me to force me to get stuff done ahead). It's the first year she's away. DS and his wife normally divide up their time between our house and her parents' house on Christmas day. With DD not home, I suspect their visit will be for dessert of something.

We're visiting my folks on December 27-January 2 (we're in IL -- they're in MD) -- thinking of just bringing the gifts with us (such as they are -- they're nearly 80, dad has terminal cancer, and I've no idea what to get either of them, so it may be restaurant gift cards again). I am making a bunch of my dad's favorite cookies from when he was growing up, so there's that.

Then my in-laws (2 SIL and MIL). We're going to pass through on the way home from MD (they're in IN) -- staying from January 2 to the 5th. I'm not sure whether to ship their gifts ahead or just exchange late, calling on the "there are 12 days to Christmas!"

My biggest thing is that no one has stuff on their wish list--no one really NEEDS anything, and I really don't feel the love, peace, and joy this year. We shall see.

College-aged DD has to work in her town, so won't be home for Christmas -- she'll be home right after exams for a few days, so she'll take her gifts back with her (good for me to force me to get stuff done ahead). It's the first year she's away. DS and his wife normally divide up their time between our house and her parents' house on Christmas day. With DD not home, I suspect their visit will be for dessert of something.

We're visiting my folks on December 27-January 2 (we're in IL -- they're in MD) -- thinking of just bringing the gifts with us (such as they are -- they're nearly 80, dad has terminal cancer, and I've no idea what to get either of them, so it may be restaurant gift cards again). I am making a bunch of my dad's favorite cookies from when he was growing up, so there's that.

Then my in-laws (2 SIL and MIL). We're going to pass through on the way home from MD (they're in IN) -- staying from January 2 to the 5th. I'm not sure whether to ship their gifts ahead or just exchange late, calling on the "there are 12 days to Christmas!"

My biggest thing is that no one has stuff on their wish list--no one really NEEDS anything, and I really don't feel the love, peace, and joy this year. We shall see.

:hug:

It's a rolling 3 weeks of Christmas celebrations with our family and kids. We have 4 kids who are all over the country, one just came back from 5 years in Japan (Navy). They are all first responders (nurse, fire, police), so we're lucky if we get them on an actual Holiday. Just learned that my oldest son (fire) has 10 days off in Dec and he's driving out here for 9 of them with his two Aussies. Our PD daughter is coming with her cat. At some point they will all be here...We have two dogs, what a circus...like a bad xmas movie. LOL

We are all over the place and it seems to vary every year due to my SIL and BIL both 1) living out of town 2) having school age kids and mostly, 3) both are cops and never have a set schedule. This year looks like:

Christmas with FIL and wife on 12/19
Christmas with MIL (they are divorced) on 12/20
Christmas Day at home (DD is 11 and for the last 3-4 years we have spent the day at home and those that want, can drop by anytime)

My family is 3.5 hours away. We have discussed maybe leaving the evening of 12/25 to go to their house but otherwise we will go up the morning of 12/26. We normally celebrate with my parents and sister/her family on the day after, but with that being their church day, I'm not sure if we will do it that afternoon, or if we will do it 12/27.

Christmas Day is always home. Yet when Oldest & Youngest fly the nest, I think me & DH will go to the movies & eat out instead.

Christmas Eve has always been DH's parents home. Yet with one parent currently in the hospital, and the other parent taking care of their 92 year old parent at home too, plus now factor in another horcrux 😉 that has sprung up, we've been discussing a plan B of us dropping off gifts before Christmas Eve and staying home Christmas Eve.

25th and 26th which is unusual because my side usually has to go well into January. Not sure DH's side is the 25th but we're hoping so.

On Christmas.
My son, DIL and Granddaughter moved 400 miles away this year, so we won't be together this year as my DIL's new employer has canceled all time off due to a labor dispute. So just DD and my wife and I.
Sorry to hear it. I know it's just how life goes and I'm sure you wish them well but these early years with a grandbaby are sad to miss. :flower3:

Sorry to hear it. I know it's just how life goes and I'm sure you wish them well but these early years with a grandbaby are sad to miss. :flower3:
Saw them all in June for Granddaughter's 2nd birthday. Will drive down to see them in 2 weeks. I never knew my Grandparents, 3 were gone by the time I was born, and the 4th passed away a month before I was going to Canada to meet him

Christmas Eve - DD18’s BF will come over for dinner & Mass

Christmas Day - My parents & my in-laws will come over for 2pm dinner and DD’s BF will return for dessert. I do have a DD23 & DGS8months, but they will come another time (her husband has shown his true colors and it’s not good)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter