When did Jiminy Cricket fall out of favor?

He generally appears on Earth Day at Animal Kingdom, and used to appear in some Magic Kingdom parades before the pandemic-driven reduction to cavalcades.

I seem to recall Jiminy being at the beginning of videos and TV specials and Disney Channel shows and such back in the day. Now things that used to be his job seem to have either been eliminated or given to Tinkerbell or Mickey.

I wonder why

never been to Disneyland and didn’t go to Disney World until I was an adult.

so where exactly are you noticing this? In current shows? Where was he before, outside of DL & WDW that he isn’t, now?

I mean - they haven’t made a movie or show featuring a cameo with him since the 90’s at least.

so where exactly are you noticing this? In current shows? Where was he before, outside of DL & WDW that he isn’t, now?

I mean - they haven’t made a movie or show featuring a cameo with him since the 90’s at least.

you just answered all of your own questions

He recently narrated Disney’s biggest fireworks show at MK for Wishes and it lasted forever until HEA (Happily Ever After) was introduced.
Let your conscience be your guide doesn’t fit on a t-shirt nowadays but he is needed now,more than ever!
DL has the Pinocchio attraction missing at the MK since PhilHarmagic takes that location, I guess.

I don’t remember him being in much other then Pinocchio and Mickey’s Christmas Carol.

Maybe it’s simply that are so many more characters now to feature. The voice of reason isn’t very exciting. I can’t see too many kids picking him as their favorite Disney character.

Also, I think Disney has been progressive with their image to keep up with today’s audience. It’s not exactly how it was when Walt started it all. So this straight and narrow character isn’t as relatable anymore.

But he’s been around still. Kingdom Hearts video games. Was portrayed in ABC’s tv show Once Upon a Time.

And Wikipedia says “On October 25, 2019, it was reported that Disney is developing an undetermined animated project focused on Jiminy Cricket for its upcoming streaming service, Disney+.”

I don’t know if that’s still in the works, but it seems Disney hasn’t abandoned him.

First of all... 42 is old now. Get used it it. LOL

I am 44 and a similar demographic. I had never seen Pinocchio but I knew Jiminy Cricket for some reason. Like you, I recall he was the ‘face’ of Disney in some capacity during my childhood.

So, perhaps he wasn’t more prominent per se as perhaps he was the face of an advertising blitz or something similar and now it’s stuck with us 40-somethings.

I’m only 42 years old, but I could swear when I was a young kid Jiminy cricket was still very relevant and very important to the image of Disney. What happened to him?
I believe deep down he is still a treasured ambassador of the magic. Finding him may not be easy. But, “The most magical things can happen, and they all start with a wish”.

Oh also he did these “I’m no fool” public service message things when we were kids. You should YouTube them. It might be what you’re referring to.

I seem to recall Jiminy being at the beginning of videos and TV specials and Disney Channel shows and such back in the day. Now things that used to be his job seem to have either been eliminated or given to Tinkerbell or Mickey.

Yeah. That’s interesting that Tinkerbell has become more synonymous with Disney than Jiminy Cricket. She popped up before all the movies in the 90’s and the association stuck. I don’t think people remember she use to be a hot head.

First of all... 42 is old now. Get used it it. LOL

I am 44 and a similar demographic. I had never seen Pinocchio but I knew Jiminy Cricket for some reason. Like you, I recall he was the ‘face’ of Disney in some capacity during my childhood.

So, perhaps he wasn’t more prominent per se as perhaps he was the face of an advertising blitz or something similar and now it’s stuck with us 40-somethings.

look at what I wrote. I’m that age too. It might be what you’re thinking of. Very nostalgic for me.

He's always important in our house
I have him dangling from my rear view mirror in my car (it's an ornament)
I have a big figurine of him in my living room and I have a smaller, but still big, figurine in one of my curio cabinets.
He's one of my favorite characters and he always has a great message - "Always let your conscience be your guide"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter