When did mixology change?

We did it twice on the Magic. Some of the drinks were partially made, some had ingredients on the table. They'd give some information and instructions on the drink. Sometimes we'd have to muddle some of the ingredients first and then they'd come around and fill up the glass with the remaining ingredients. We got the recipes for all of the drinks in the second one. I still make one of them and have been doing so quite regularly this summer.

I did Mixology on the Dream in April in Meridian. Groups of 4 were called up to make each drink behind the bar.

Honestly, with the exception of the lemon drop (which one cannot really screw up because limoncello is delicious) the drinks at mixology we had were so gross maybe this is a good thing. I suspect my fellow cruisers were not the most accurate bartenders, particularly when we got to drink #3 or 4. And we definitely did see people going a little overboard with their pours of the hard stuff as others have noted, which I'm sure wasn't helping the flavor.

We did mixology on the Fantasy last August and liked it so much we did it twice. We had an awesome bartender (Valda) and met some people we ended up socializing with throughout the trip.

We are going to be on the Wonder in a few weeks - it sounds like maybe we should cancel our mixology....any one with recent Wonder experiences? ~thanks!

I will have to keep an eye on this. We love Mixology, but just being served drinks that were made by the bar tender takes most of the fun out of the experience. Maybe they should pre-pour the shots in glasses and let guests add the shots and the mixers. That way there isn't as much over-pouring. If they aren't allowing some guest interaction next summer on Fantasy, then we won't be doing Mixology. There are plenty of other fun drink classes.

People who didn't like the new format should complain to DCL. I don't know how to do that though. Maybe if enough guests and bar tenders complain, they will change it back.

I so want to do a martini tasting. There are none scheduled on my upcoming cruise. Here's the hoping 🍸they have one scheduled for my cruise in a little over a year!
We did a martini class on the Fantasy and we were the only ones there. Seriously. No one else showed up. We had a personal class in Meridian. It was the best!

We did a martini class on the Fantasy and we were the only ones there. Seriously. No one else showed up. We had a personal class in Meridian. It was the best!

That sounds like the best kind of boozy dream.

So I just spoke to Concierge Shoreside and there’s been no change per se. Each beverage team decides how to deliver the experience. He did say they do read the comment cards so if you are dissatisfied do provide that feedback. And while I don’t know if it is available at Guest Services, he did say that I should check with the Conciege team upon boarding, and if it was not interactive and the activity was more than 24 hours away, I could cancel.

So I just spoke to Concierge Shoreside and there’s been no change per se. Each beverage team decides how to deliver the experience. He did say they do read the comment cards so if you are dissatisfied do provide that feedback. And while I don’t know if it is available at Guest Services, he did say that I should check with the Conciege team upon boarding, and if it was not interactive and the activity was more than 24 hours away, I could cancel.

Very good to know. Thanks for the info. We will do just that on our upcoming sailing then. I want a somewhat interactive mixology. Granted, $40 for that many drinks no matter how they are served is a steal. STILL....

We did it on the Dream June 2018. We were sat in regular chairs, not at the bar. There were only 6 of us, though, supposed to be 8 but one couple no-showed, so there were extra drinks.
I think 3 (half size) drinks were prepared ahead of time and one drink was provided with ingredients and tools on a tray for us to make (so no overpour). Because one couple was missing, we all got a lot of drinks.
The bartender talked a lot about the drinks and how to prepare them. She was knowledgeable, but she doesn't drink and kind of gave us a lecture on the cons of drinking. LOL Also, no recipes were given.
It was basically a relatively inexpensive way to get some fun drinks on the cruise rather than educational.

Well, upon reading this, I wonder if I may personally be responsible, at least for a portion of this! During my mixology, like many others have described, I was brought up to mix a drinker using a pint glass and shaker. For the life of me, I could not pop the shaker from the pint glass. Bonnie, the bar tender, told me to give it a good strong tap. Now, I am not known for my finesse, and my "tap" sent the pint glass soaring through the air where it shattered against the bar. While we all had a good laugh (and I was told I was banned from Skyline for the rest of the cruise) I can see that if this was not an isolated incident why a suit at DCL might say no more idiots making drinks.

Well, upon reading this, I wonder if I may personally be responsible, at least for a portion of this! During my mixology, like many others have described, I was brought up to mix a drinker using a pint glass and shaker. For the life of me, I could not pop the shaker from the pint glass. Bonnie, the bar tender, told me to give it a good strong tap. Now, I am not known for my finesse, and my "tap" sent the pint glass soaring through the air where it shattered against the bar. While we all had a good laugh (and I was told I was banned from Skyline for the rest of the cruise) I can see that if this was not an isolated incident why a suit at DCL might say no more idiots making drinks.

Funny! At our Mixology they said the exact same thing about strong taps and the first thought that went into my head was "whaaaat?? that sounds like a recipe for broken glass."

Sorry I just remembered it was the Dream

I was gonna say...

Mixology on the Magic and Wonder is usually held in Keys/Cadillac Lounge, which doesn't allow guests behind the bar due to needing to go through a crew-only area to get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter