When did Valentine's Day start becoming big again?

Didn't think the focus has ever changed. Stores replace the Christmas candy aisle with Valentine's items. Seems it has always been a big holiday for candy, cards and flowers.

It used to be that jewelry was always the number one gift of Valentine's Day along with candy heart boxes but now it's flowers and even gift baskets with a plush bear or any other stuffed animal inside.

I have seen commercials for Shari's Berries selling Valentine's Day fruit baskets and also florists have deals on Valentine's Day bouquets
How old are you?

These things have been heavily done for years. Edible arrangements has been big for a long time. Sherri's berries as well my husband sent those to my work something like 10 years ago. Stuffed animals has always been big. You know the giant huge ones Costco and the like sell? I've got one. I've bought stuffed animals years ago too for my husband.

Flowers are common to get. That's actually one of the only days I get flowers (other than anniversary).

Jewelry..hmm..I feel like that's been a long time since that's been a big ticket item.

Random internet research shows it's been this way for a while.

Valentines has always been a big holiday here. I actually saw Valentine candy in the stores before Christmas! I think it’s all a marketing thing. Any excuse the stores can use to move merchandise, they will. After Valentines it will be President’s Day sales, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, July 4th, Labor Day sales, Halloween, and then we’re right back to Black Friday and the Christmas season. There’s never really a period without some holiday related sales going on. It’s all about the money.

If you are fortunate enough to be in a relationship, celebrate the days which mean something to the two of you. Maybe it’s the anniversary of your first date, or the anniversary of the first day you said I love you. Making it personal is what makes it special, much more special than some retail driven holiday.

My mom went to CVS today and she looked at their Valentine's Day section and what she had told me when she returned from the store was that every inch of CVS was covered with Valentine's Day candy and cards. Every Valentine's Day every year my mom always likes to get a small candy heart and she gets a big candy heart when the Valentine's Day merchandise goes on clearance afterwards. I think when it comes to Valentine's Day what really sells are the candy and the valentines that people give to their kids classmates when schools have valentine exchanges every year. Because when I was a little girl I used to adore getting valentines from my classmates during my school years and the character valentine cards were always my favorite cards. But you know what I wish that they had in stuffed Valentine's Day themed animals? A big stuffed dragon with a velvet heart and if they made it I would buy it instantly because I adore dragons a lot. But I think in the future Valentine's Day will still be huge but the new "in" gifts will be plushies and personalized flower baskets because personalized flower baskets are a big fad right now

There’s always been Valentine’s merch by me too.
This is one holiday that I ignore - I don’t decorate and I don’t buy.
I guess I’m not a very romantic person - LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter