• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you hope your kids will leave the nest?

Our twins moved out to go to college and other than some school breaks, never moved back in with us. DW & I were in college when we got married and never moved back with parents. I have a friend who has a 23 yr. old son living with them, they just moved to a new house and had to get a home with a room for him because he has no signs of moving out. They seem ok with it.

WE did not want them to leave. My DH was home until he married me, as was the norm in his family, so we wanted ours to stay intel they were ready. My DS worked an hour away from home on second shift, and had a hellish commute home one night. Rain etc and the commute went on for over two hours. He was may 25 or so. My DH had told him once he might want to consider lookign for a place of his own and after that long night he did. OMG! Buddy was horrified! He had rented a place ten minutes from work, and I thought my DH would faint. He meant in Our town, ten minutes from us! LOL!

They are all close by and my DH thinks they are all still to far away! REally, 20 minutes

They are and were always welcome.
DS went away to college, came home for 6 months while changing school and hasn't lived with us since.

Our DD went to college, came home for a year, went away to grad school, moved away and lived with us in our new house for 5 years.
Now more stable and has her own house.

ASAP after college graduation. I'm not sure where my son will end up - it all depends on what he finds for a job. If it's in Atlanta, he could live at home while commuting to save up money for deposits on apartment and such. If he gets a job further away, he'll move right away I guess.

He's not been at home much since his first year of college. He and several friends have been renting together. Year one was the dorm, Year two was an apartment, year 3 with a different set of friends was a dump of a house. Now into year 4 with yet another group of friends they are renting a duplex. Hoping he will finish college this year.
He has said he loves living on his own so I'm sure he'll move out fast after college.

My DD is just starting college this year. She's a homebody so it may take longer for her to leave the house after college graduation. I will do my best to encourage to get a job and move out asap as well.

When they are able to live on their own.

Ds24 went to college, came home on breaks less and less as he got further into his education. Graduated with his Master's last May, got married in August and started his real job 2 hours away. We maintained his room as is. He and his wife stay in it when they visit.

Ds21 is starting year 4 of a 7 year program. It's an expensive program and he'll have a doctorate and good job prospects when he graduates, but may have expensive student loans. We'll see where the jobs are. He already plans to live frugally after graduating to pay off his loans.

Ds#3 is starting year 2 of the same program.

We'll keep a room in our house for them until they are established.

Never

Right now she’s planning on moving three provinces away in November amd I am 100% in denial about it. Plans change so much when you’re 17..but, she’s not flaky like that so I think it’s for real.

That's the age I moved away. My daughter did right after high school to go to university and now has her own apartment in the same city but is home for the summer working. My older son did the same thing but moved back and is now commuting back and forth from Boston for school while holding down a full time job. My youngest is starting university here in the Fall and working as a lifeguard with his sister this summer.

Honestly, they could all stay here forever and I wouldn't mind. I missed my daughter like crazy when she left for school 3 years ago. She's happy with her own place though and can't wait to get back to school and her boyfriend. :sad:

That's the age I moved away. My daughter did right after high school to go to university and now has her own apartment in the same city but is home for the summer working. My older son did the same thing but moved back and is now commuting back and forth from Boston for school while holding down a full time job. My youngest is starting university here in the Fall and working as a lifeguard with his sister this summer.

Honestly, they could all stay here forever and I wouldn't mind. I missed my daughter like crazy when she left for school 3 years ago. She's happy with her own place though and can't wait to get back to school and her boyfriend. :sad:

You’re not helping lol

Our oldest daughter is 24. She came home from college during the summers but stayed at school year round while she was in grad school. Her masters program had classes during both summer sessions. She moved home for 3 weeks after she graduated from her masters program but moved into an apartment as soon as she started her job. We would have been fine with her staying a little longer to save up some money but she's independent and was anxious to start her "adult" life after so many years of school. Fortunately, she took a position in the same city where we live so she and her soon to be husband will not be too far away.

Last edited:
I hope that they'll leave as soon as they're done with school, whenever that may be. It isn't that I'm in a hurry for the nest to empty and I'm not trying to rush them, but there aren't a lot of jobs in our area... a handful that could work out okay for my son's field and absolutely none for my daughter's. So I do hope they'll leave and follow the jobs when they're young and unattached, rather than settling here and adjusting their studies/expectations to what is available locally.

My oldest child will graduate from college this coming May. I wouldn't mind if he wanted to move home and save money for a down payment on a house. Thanks to some diligent saving on our part and some scholarships on his part, he won't have any student loans to pay back. But I don't think he'll move home. He already has a terrific job offer for a Financial Analyst position in our city, but he really wants to live in a bigger city, so he's going to keep interviewing. Most likely he'll be moving a minimum of two hours away to start his career. :sad:

Our DD19 on the other hand...it's too early to tell. We did have both kids home this summer.

What I do know is that when both kids are launched, we're downsizing and buying a beach condo!

Unless I move closer to Melbourne, probably when they head off to Uni. Kids do commute from here but it’s a long day and I’d prefer mine to be based closer to their unis for partying purposes. Jk. So they’re not wasting time driving up and down highways when they could be studying or working p/t.

My middle DS moved out about 9 months ago. He is 27 and when he moved it was 1200 miles. Dd graduated in May and moved back but lives with her older brother so she can help watch their kids. He travels 2 weeks every month and ddil works long hours but Dd has more flexibility with her hours.

Go to college and enjoy your dorm room or go to work and stay for a year or two.
At the end of 2 years you should have saved enough money to hear the house saying "GET. OUT".
Need more time? I'm charging rent cuz I like you and all but believe it or not my entire life doesn't revolve around you.
You'll thank me later .

Depends on the day you ask me. :rotfl2:

He'll be a senior in high school this year, and sometimes I'm all excited for him to be off on his own adventures soon, and sometimes I just want to turn back the clock.

My 3 kids have very big student loan payments so living on their own is and will be a challenge until they get good paying jobs. Because we had 3 in college at the same time, we were unable to help with the cost of school. We helped them with living expenses, school supplies, etc. So we always told them that they would always have a place to live.

My oldest finished college commuting from home. He had lived away, but because of health problems ended up finishing as a commuter. He stayed home until he was 25, but has been on his own now for 1.5 years. He's struggling, but is sticking with it.

My other 2 are 24 and both came home after college. One ended up moving out, but ended up home again because he got laid off from his job. My other son hasn't left. He has decided to go back to school for his Master's Degree so you know what that means!

We've never been in a hurry for them to leave. But, living with 2 adult children is challenging sometimes. We are ready to have a life of our own minus children. We'll see what happens...

Having them home is a whole lot cheaper than away. My son was spending $100 a month on groceries in an apartment. We were spending $100 a month at home feeding 3 people.
Got him back home, and my bills went way down.
We only had 2, and we decided before we had kids that we would cover college costs. Isn't like we didn't have 18 years to save though.

Having them home is a whole lot cheaper than away. My son was spending $100 a month on groceries in an apartment. We were spending $100 a month at home feeding 3 people.
Got him back home, and my bills went way down.
We only had 2, and we decided before we had kids that we would cover college costs. Isn't like we didn't have 18 years to save though.
OK this must be my question for the week:D. What are you all eating that it only costs $100.00 @ month to feed 3 adults? I like to consider self a "frugalista" when it comes to eating at home but I'm bowing to your obviously superior skills. On average I can feed the 3 of us (DGD in the house) for $350.00 a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter