when do your area schools go back after summer break?

your area schools go back when?

• well before Labor Day

Votes: 53 47.3%
  • right before Labor Day

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • right after Labor Day

Votes: 43 38.4%
  • well after Labor Day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I went back July 23rd...students first day was August 1st. We’ve been in school a month already- crazy!

The three largest school districts on a traditional schedule went back:
1) August 20 for traditional and year round tracks, B, C & D. Track A year round went back July 19.
2) August 16
3) August 30. This is the last district to go back, and at the same time the earliest this district has ever gone back. They were the last holdout that had been starting the day after Labor Day.

The early start makes sense since it means final exams are now before Christmas break, instead of 3 weeks after like it was when I was in school and we went back the day after labor day.

My kids got out last year on May 18th and started back on August 1st. This year the will get out May 26th and go back next year on August 6th.

DD is in college now (they started Aug 22nd and will finish the first week of May), but the schools in NC where she attended started last Monday the 27th. They always start on the 25th or the Monday after if the 25th is on a weekend. They finish on June 10th or the closest weekday before.

We now live in PA- the city schools here started last Monday as well. Some districts close to us won't start until tomorrow, though. I think most of the schools around here finish the school year around mid-June.

As a teacher in Connecticut, I returned Monday, August 27th for professional development, and my students arrived on Thursday, August 30th. It's so hard because I teach Pre-K 4. Thursday they cried and cried. Friday got a little better for some, and then some new ones cried. Now we've been off for three days. Tomorrow will be awful once again adjusting to being away from Mommy. I really wish they waited until after Labor Day to start school just like it used to be when I was growing up.

It's getting a little confusing in my area (NYC). The charter schools' kiddos returned to school in mid-August same for many of the private schools. Most of the parochial students I know returned last week. Pretty sure the public school kids are still on Monday or Tuesday after Labor Day schedule depending on their grade.

Last edited:

NYC public school teachers return tomorrow.:worried::guilty: The students return on Wednesday. Then we are off next Monday and Tuesday for Rosh Hashana.

My niece attends an independent school here in Brooklyn. Her first day is tomorrow. Some area charter schools started in August. The private schools will start tomorrow and Wednesday.

Even within the same city, the start dates can vary

Even within the same city, the start dates can vary
So true! The county in NC where my DD attended high school had, I think, at least 4 different schedules for traditional, year round, charter, and early college schools. DD's high school was on yet another totally different schedule- they followed the same start/end dates as the University system colleges (her high school was a part of the UNC system).

Local public schools started either Wed (8/29) or tomorrow (9/5). Local colleges/universities start tomorrow (9/5). Summer's over... :( :sad2:

Chicago suburbs—I (teacher) went back August 13th, and the kids started August 15th.

Aug 8th in central Indiana....one of the last districts around here.

Their last day was the Friday before Memorial Day.

In the district I work in (in NH), the kids start the Tuesday before Labor Day with a 3 day week (Tues-Fri). Teacher contract staff return a week before the students for a full week of "teacher institute". It's been this way as long as I've worked here, but, may be changing if the governor has his way. We've got a serious labor shortage, and he feels it might be better for businesses to not lose their teenage workers prior to Labor Day. We'll see how that "study" goes...

Younger son just started last Wednesday (29th)

Older son started the 22nd - but now he's off tomorrow and Wednesday due to excessive heat (no A/C at his HS).

My daughter went to public school near Boston Wednesday and Thursday August 29th and 30th then had Friday/Monday off. It used to start the Tuesday before Labor Day but they now have teachers starting Monday with a pd day on Tuesday. We are done June 13th. I do remember though 14 years ago when my oldest started kindergarten they all went back after Labor Day and kindergarten started even later so it seemed forever for her to have a full day. That was that last year they went back after Labor Day. She is a freshman in college now and had orientation activities the past few days with classes starting tomorrow for the semester.

It seems like a mix of schools starting last week and this week around here but right before Labor Day is common. I think Boston is going back Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day.

Saskatchewan here, students start Tuesday, School ends June 27 and high school grad is the weekend of June 7th, not sure if it will be Friday or Saturday, the senior class votes.

My daughter started back on July 26th. They are balanced calendar and get out right before Memorial Day

Western MD here, kids here started back Wed. Then had half day Thursday and were off Friday for the long weekend. Near OC where our granddaughters live, they don't go back till this coming Wed

How did you get around the Governor's new mandate? I thought all of Maryland was after labor day this year?

We used to be 2 weeks before labor day, but this year today is their first day.
I'm ambivalent. I think I like this better just because the weather is typically still hot and summery in August and well into September, while it's sometimes still spring-y well into June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter