When Does South West Start Checking In Baggage at PHL?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
We had a 5:30 am flight from PHL to MCO last Fall and as I'm paranoid about getting to the gate on time we got to the SW area even before they had the cattle pen ropes up. There was a fairly lengthy wait before they set up shop and started taking our bags and giving us our boarding passes. Anyone know what time SW opens for business at PHL? Sadly I didn't note and record the time last year and while I'll still be sure to get there in plenty of time but no need to get there before the agents arrive.

Bill From PA

I would print my boarding pass at home which saves time at the check in desk. You have to check in 24 hrs ahead of time might as well print the passes too. If the inside line looks lengthy try curb side check in.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. We have Early Bird so it's pretty much a matter of getting the baggage weighed and tagged.We only fly a time or 2 every year so we're not seasoned Jet Setters and the hub bub at the airport stresses us out plus I'm paranoid about missing a flight.

Bill From PA

Thanks, guys. We have Early Bird so it's pretty much a matter of getting the baggage weighed and tagged.We only fly a time or 2 every year so we're not seasoned Jet Setters and the hub bub at the airport stresses us out plus I'm paranoid about missing a flight.

Bill From PA
Just remember, they aren't going to open their bag check so late that it makes their passengers miss their flight.
While it's not the same airport we often take the first SWA flight out of ATL. They open in plenty of time to get the bags checked and to the gate.

Flying once or twice a year is way more than many people! You can call yourself seasoned after this year’s trips, ok? :)

For most airports, arriving (walking in the doors) two hours before your flight will work just fine for a domestic flight.

And to help with your paranoia, see how many other flights go to your destination that day with sw. Know that they will do their best to get you on flights to your destination if you miss yours. You’re not just left there with no flight.

(If you fly something like spirit with one flight to a given destination a day, that’s more problematic, but with the big airlines and the big airports it’s genetally not an issue)

We had a 5:30 am flight from PHL to MCO last Fall and as I'm paranoid about getting to the gate on time we got to the SW area even before they had the cattle pen ropes up. There was a fairly lengthy wait before they set up shop and started taking our bags and giving us our boarding passes. Anyone know what time SW opens for business at PHL? Sadly I didn't note and record the time last year and while I'll still be sure to get there in plenty of time but no need to get there before the agents arrive.

Bill From PA

We flew out of PHL to MCO at 5:35am this past June. Got dropped off at the airport around 3:50am I think. The curbside wasn't open yet. The inside check-in area was and it was very crowded. After waiting in line for a few minutes we saw some skycaps milling around outside near their roped-ff check-in area. DW went out to ask them what time they opened. Upon chatting them up, she waved me and the kids out and they checked us in curbside at 4am despite the ropes still being up.

We flew out of PHL to MCO at 5:35am this past June. Got dropped off at the airport around 3:50am I think. The curbside wasn't open yet. The inside check-in area was and it was very crowded. After waiting in line for a few minutes we saw some skycaps milling around outside near their roped-ff check-in area. DW went out to ask them what time they opened. Upon chatting them up, she waved me and the kids out and they checked us in curbside at 4am despite the ropes still being up.
My goodness I’m shocked it was that crowded that early. I have an 11/28 trip at 6a and now I’m worried. I always stress until I’m through security.

We had a 6:10 am flight (first of the day) on SW out of Baltimore on June 28th and the checkin for SW was a NIGHTMARE. Security wasn't much better. We were there 2 hours early and had to practically run to the gate where they were already doing precheck boardings. We hadn't flown in 2 years so had no idea there would be a cattle call of people (many of whom have never used a digital kiosk before) printing their own boarding passes and baggage tags. It was really confusing.

The thing about the early morning flights is that so many people are trying to get through at the same time, so there is a backlog. The people with the first flight of the day aren't the only ones checking in. Think of it like rope drop at the parks.

Bill, I wonder if you should just arrive around when the skycap/curbside might open (so around 4 am) and just do that, instead of stressing about the inside chaos.

We had a 6 AM Southwest flight out of PHL a couple weeks ago. Arrived at the airport and inside the terminal by about 4 AM. Checkin at the downstairs Southwest counter wasn't a problem...they have the kiosks and self-tag bags now which seem to be quite efficient. However, when we took the escalator up to security, it was mobbed! And this was on a Wednesday. Line went back towards terminal E, around the corner, then quickly grew past the people movers and almost back to where you would take the escalator back down for baggage check near the garage. I've never seen the security lines that long since they opened the new TSA area for terminals D and E awhile back and was really surprised to see it that way that early in the morning. My advice would be if you have a 6 AM flight, make *sure* you're there the recommended 2 hours early. (The line actually moved fairly well...they said everyone was PreCheck, so no one removed shoes, belts, etc...made the flight with no problem and still had a little time for breakfast)

I usually fly out of PHL on early morning flights and usually plan for 4a or 90 mins before my flight. I've never flown Southwest or any other airline out of PHL and seen the check-in counter open before 4a in the 5 years I flown from there.

The line inside at the counter is usually long but moves quickly. I've also utilized curbside several times as well which has never been more than a 5-10 min wait. I tend to use the mobile boarding pass on my phone, but curbside will also print you one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter