When does the childhood magic end?

My son is 13 and has not lost it. His interests have changed - he would rather ride Tower of Terror 10 times in a row than stand in line to get Mickey's autograph - but he still loves Disney World just the same. I do give him a choice about where we take our annual vacation, and he always chooses WDW. Maybe as he gets older things will change (I hope not), but as long as he wants to go to Disney World, I am happy to oblige!

As for myself, I didn't really find the magic until I had my own child. I only went to Disney World twice when I was a kid, but when I took DS in December 2001 for the first time, I was instantly hooked. :lovestruc

I believe it really depends on the child.

My son will be 12 (in just days) and he loves Disney as much, if not more than he did on his first trip at 3 yrs old. I truly think he appreciates it more.

Sure things are different, he isn't into princesses anymore (he used to LOVE Cinderella), he doesn't run up to the characters like he use too with open arms, he doesn't do autographs anymore, he doesn't dance in the streets or plays the games before the parade starts on main street BUT.....

He does still take pictures with the characters, wave to the characters during the parade, clap his hands to the music, tells me he gets goosebumps when he watches Wishes, still rides Dumbo and smiles, he smiles at the real little kids running up to characters.

Sadly, I know my son doesn't share his love for Disney with a lot of his friends. I can understand that. He tells me a lot of his classmates think Disney is for "babies" :mad: So I told him although there is nothing wrong with loving Disney, he doesn't have to tell people about his love for Disney if he doesn't want too (no sense making him a target for teasing!)

Truthfully I think it is much more fun with my son at Disney as a tween than a 3 yr old. I love seeing the "magic" in his eyes still.
Any 3 year old will run up to Mickey with open arms and smile, but when Goofy gives your tween a big hug and your tween hugs back with the biggest smile on their face....That truly is MAGIC!!!! ;)

Out of the mouths of a tween.......on the way to DHS last June on the Disney bus, he said "Mom, you know what I love about Disney?" I said "what"
He said to me "Everything!"

I don't think the "magic" will be leaving him anytime soon. :love:

I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this topic. I even asked my daughter today what exactly she meant when she told me "one more time while I am still a kid"......don't know exactly why but she said she wanted to go one more time before she was 13.... I guess teenagers in her mind are grown up :)

So we talked about it and she really wants to stay at the Poly....we have done the Beach Club and Port Orleans Riverside for one week stays. The Poly....guess I better get a part time job :)

When does the childhood magic end?
I'm 42. I'll let you know if and when it ends for me.

On the other hand, when I was a teenager, Disney was "for little kids". My kids are going through that phase now. Thankfully they grow out of it.

Ds8 did not grow out of it but realizes now that the characters are just regular folk in costumes. He enjoys the parks and his favourite rides, he just doesnt get that deer in the headlights look on his face when he sees Mickey anymore.

Dd15 still very much loves anything Disney and will most likely get married there. Ds 17 can take it or leave it. Dh loves it and I do too still but we love other parks equally:thumbsup2

It's more of a been there done that feeling. This trip we are onsite but not doing the WDW parks:goodvibes

You know, I had it up until I was about 10/11, and then I thought it was "uncool" to like Disney and the kiddo stuff, but now, I love it. The story it brings, the memories it creates I will never lose touch of again. Hopefully your child's will come back to them.

Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never,Never, and Never.

Childhood magic is not a cold. You don't get over it. You might forget it, but, it's still in you.

Life is better when we remember it.

Our oldest daughter is 9 and just the other day she said to me, "Dad I want to go to Disney one more time while I am a kid." The "kid" part to me is really before the "magic" is gone.

I remember a few years ago I started saying this. I was so sad and worried that one year we'd go back and it just wouldn't be magical and special anymore. That never happened. I mean things change of course. Now, I'd rather wait in line for EE or ToT instead of Dumbo or Peter Pan. But it's no less magical. I'm a teenager now and many people would say that this is the age where the magic is gone, but it comes back later. Well I think that for most teens (myself included), the magic never truly leaves. I think teens like to keep up this cool appearance and they think being awestruck by Disney would make them 'uncool'. But I think no matter what, Disney is always magical for everybody. It's just different things that make it magic when you get older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter