• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When is our BOMA dinner? 5 5 5! When is it? 5? No, 5:55!! UPDATE May 28

I'm all signed up. Loving your report so far! What a great first day...check in, some Magic Kingdom time, and some wind down beverages. What could be better?

Just started following along. We are staying at WL for the first time in August. Our kids are also finally old enough that we can leave them in the room alone for a bit, so I'm absolutely looking forward to visiting the Territory Lounge one evening with my husband after the kids have gotten ready for bed.

Great start to your trip and loving the report so far.

In Which Hollywood Studios Disappoints but Blizzard Beach totally rocks!

Sunday, April 12, 2015

DH and I always wake up early. Luckily, the CMs arrive early and have coffee out and waiting in Roaring Fork by 6:00. We left the DDs sleeping in their bed and snuck down to fill our mugs. Then we set out to explore the resort. Something we love about Wilderness Lodge are the many seating areas in the Lobby and also tucked into the edges of the upper levels, above the lobby. There are small fireplaces and comfy chairs to enjoy the gorgeous view.

Around 7:00 we worked our way back to the room to get the girls moving. We grabbed breakfast at Roaring Fork. Katie and I had Raisin Bran, while Emma and Tyson got the croissant sandwiches, which they deemed, “Too cheesy.” The bus came pretty quickly and we were “On our way to Hollywood Studios.” So we “sat back, relaxed and let them do the driving.”

Going to DHS is when I truly love FP+. We were never able to ride Toy Story until its introduction. This time, we could plan our day without sprinting to the Fast Pass distribution.

We had some time before our TSMM FP+ so we headed to Star Tours, figuring we could ride without a Fast Pass. There was no line and we walked right on. We got a different story this time and Katie loves this ride for some reason, so it was fun!

Next, we rode TSMM. I love this ride, though my arm is always sore from pulling that cord over and over.

We’d been dying to meet Baymax and Hiro from Big Hero 6, and their first set was coming up. From TSMM, we headed to Starring Rolls. I got a cheese pastry, Tyson and Katie split a cinnamon roll and Emma had a croissant. Then we got in line for Baymax about 30 minutes before his set. There was already a line! It was a cute meet and it went pretty quickly.
in line for Baymax.jpg Baymax Gets a Hug.jpg

Next, we headed to Katie’s nemesis – Tower of Terror. She takes the name quite literally and flat out refuses to ride it. For two years, she wouldn’t even wait in the queue. Last fall, she was shaking while in the queue before she took the chicken exit. The rest of us LOVE ToT and beg her every time (poor kid). We had a FP+, but when we walked up, the FP line was huge! There was a problem with one of the tracks, so it was all backed up.

By now, I could see the girls starting to fade. And, it was only 11:15! So, we pulled out the BIG KAHUNA – WATER PARK TIME!!! This never fails to revive them.

On the way out of the park, Tyson (who knows me so well) bought me the bubble gun I’d been admiring all the kids using that morning. Isn’t he the sweetest? (I like to stay in close contact with my inner child for the children. At least, that's my story.)
bubble gun.jpg

Great report! Very fun to read and informative :)

I love that you pulled out the water park card! We plan on doing the same thing...when it gets hot in the parks or we have time to kill!

I love that your putting your FitBit steps in! I'm going to steal that for my upcoming report!!

I'm debating hotels FoF my next trip so I like hearing you enjoy WL!

Blizzard Beach – here we come!!

We hopped the bus (shared between Contemporary and Wilderness) and got back to the room very quickly. Once we changed, we grabbed some towels from the pool and took our minivan to the water park. There is no worse feeling, to me, than getting on a hyper cold Disney bus in a wet swimsuit. So, we always drive.

First stop – Lottawatta Lodge and LUNCH! The food at Blizzard is pretty good, better than Typhoon. This time, they had California Rolls as a special. We got one order of those, a pepperoni flatbread and a salad with chicken to all share. Everything was pretty good! The flatbread is really flat, but it was plenty to share. The California Rolls had eight rolls, plus wasabi and ginger. And, the salad was not over dressed.

Blizzard offers such a great break from the other parks! My whole family loves the wave pool, lazy river, and, most of all, Teamboat Springs – the family raft ride. The lines were very short. The longest wait was for the chair lift to Teamboat Springs, about 10 minutes. Tyson decided to do Slush Gusher while the girls went to the wave pool and I read my book in peace.

While at Blizzard, Tyson asked me, again, what time dinner was. I said, “5 5 5.” Emma couldn’t figure out if I meant 5:00, emphatically or 5:55. Even though I had given everyone a paper schedule, discussed this and said it earlier in the day. YIKES! This is the price we pay as planners, I guess!

Anyway, the girls started high 5 5 5ing each other repeatedly, cuz everything is funnier if you do it over and over and over and over. AmIRight? The whole trip, they said 1,2,3, 4 and then 5 5 5 (while high fiving). Even now, at home, every time a clock reads 5:55, they start up again. I’m sure it’s funny if you are 13 or 10(almost 11).

We left Blizzard around 3:30, and drove back to Wilderness to change. Our family enjoys Disney transportation (except for water parks) and seeing how many forms we can take in a day. This evening, we took the boat to Magic and caught a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge for that 5:55 BOMA dinner. We were going to be early, but hoped we could be seated. If not, they have the Savannah and a great gift shop. AKL is one of my favorite resorts to just hang out in.

We arrived at BOMA around 5:20 and they seated us quickly. Tyson and I ordered wine and the girls got some special lemonades. I don’t know why, but people at BOMA always start at one end, near the carved meat and go through the buffet like it’s a line. It’s not meant to be that way. The appetizers, hummus and breads, are in the center. We started there. I love the red pepper hummus. Next, we got salads and soup. The chicken curry soup was delicious and spicy! For my entrée, I got some carved beef, salmon and the baby broccoli. The girls enjoyed some pasta with meatballs and some chicken. They got fruit and salad too. Then they had some mini desserts. The key lime tarts were good and the mini cupcakes were yummy too. BOMA never disappoints. The meal was delicious and we love the variety. Hands down, family favorite!!

For the rest of the evening, we couldn’t decide if we wanted to go to EPCOT or Downtown Disney. So, we played bus roulette and Downtown Disney won. The girls wanted to check out the Marketplace Co op and World of Disney.
bus to DTD.jpg
bus2.jpg

Well, let me just say, none of us wants to go back to Disney Springs until they are much further along. It was CROWDED! I mean, CROWDED. Wall to wall people. Lots of cheer and dance groups. Roving packs of teens with minimal supervision.

The Marketplace Co-op was just okay for us this time. I like the concept that they can change things out, but it was so similar to our last visit, that it just wasn’t that interesting. Katie, who is 10(almost 11) and would like to fit into Junior sizes, is still a kid size. So many Disney shirts are suited more for a 6 year old. So, for her, the Zoey & Pickles store works great. She found a cute top!

We went to World of Disney, which is so huge it just overwhelms me. I’m not a shopper and only go because I have to. Anyway, we all found shirts there, even Katie found an Extra Small Ariel shirt she loved. We attempted to walk around and see some of the new construction, but gave up because of the crush of people.

The bus stop was just the worst I have ever experienced. The traffic pattern makes everything go so slowly! We watched some resorts get picked up twice before our bus came.

By the time we got back to Wilderness, Tyson and I needed a drink at the lovely Territory Lounge. We got the girls settled in the room and went downstairs. They made us a very nice, Hendrick’s Gin, slightly dirty, martini. Totally hit the spot! And, we remembered to use our new Tables in Wonderland card! I was surprised the drinks were only $10 each. Very reasonable, imo.

FitBit Report: 13,341 steps. Not bad, about the same as at home.

Around 7:00 we worked our way back to the room to get the girls moving. We grabbed breakfast at Roaring Fork. Katie and I had Raisin Bran, while Emma and Tyson got the croissant sandwiches, which they deemed, “Too cheesy.” The bus came pretty quickly and we were “On our way to Hollywood Studios.” So we “sat back, relaxed and let them do the driving.”

I totally read those quotes in that guy's voice.

We went to World of Disney, which is so huge it just overwhelms me. I’m not a shopper and only go because I have to. Anyway, we all found shirts there, even Katie found an Extra Small Ariel shirt she loved. We attempted to walk around and see some of the new construction, but gave up because of the crush of people.

I get lost in WOD every. single. time.

Sounds like a great day! Even got to play a little bus roulette!

The bus situation at Downtown Disney...I'm calling it that until the construction is done...is awful to say the least. When we stayed at Wilderness Lodge this past summer we saw two or more busses from every park before we finally got a Downtown Disney bus, only to have to stop at both Contemporary and Grand Floridian on the way. It was a 90 minute ordeal just to get there.

Can't wait to read more!

Sounds like a great day! Even got to play a little bus roulette!

The bus situation at Downtown Disney...I'm calling it that until the construction is done...is awful to say the least. When we stayed at Wilderness Lodge this past summer we saw two or more busses from every park before we finally got a Downtown Disney bus, only to have to stop at both Contemporary and Grand Floridian on the way. It was a 90 minute ordeal just to get there.

Can't wait to read more!

Disney does say to allow up to 90 minutes for travel. They're usually better than that, though. It's just unfortunate when it DOES take that long.

:dumbo::flower3:
Following along from the WL thread too :)
This fall will be our first time staying at the Lodge, so I'm interested to hear about transportation, food, etc! Well, and everything else too of course ::yes::

I think you will love Wilderness Lodge. The resort is just plain gorgeous. Rooms are smaller than other Deluxe resorts, but so is the price tag. The CMs were great! Housekeeping was top notch. I think Animal Kingdom Losg has spoiled us for resort food. Roaring Fork was fine, but it's tiny and the selections are somewhat limited. We did not eat at Whispering Canyon. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Very cool surprise!! Joining in from the BC thread, but I am a HUGE WL fan as well :) Lovely family!!

Love Beach Club too! It's DH's favorite. We will be there Sep. 26-Oct. 3 for Food & Wine. Thank you for your kind words.

Ugh, DTD buses always take forever, no matter what resort you are going to. I love French Quarter, so we usually end our DTD time with a boat ride back up the river to visit FQ (mmm beignets!) and then bus to wherever we are heading :)

Sounds like fun. Makes me wish I had girls to shop with! My son isn't overly excited about my spending hours looking over the new Vera prints :confused3

Following along! We have our trip planned for sept...it'll be our second time staying at the WL. We just love it there...I can't wait to hear more about your trip and see some more pictures! What type room did you have and where was it located. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to request our room assignment to be. We are in a courtyard room.

Love Beach Club too! It's DH's favorite. We will be there Sep. 26-Oct. 3 for Food & Wine. Thank you for your kind words.
It's so great to read from someone who loves both WL and BC :) I know we will have a great time!!! F&W is awesome!!! Happy for you!

Baymax!!! YAY! Nice bus pics, and I agree with the other posters there is no good bus to DTD with the exception of OKW, SSR, and probably Port Orleans. The buses always beat driving there, except that might change once the parking situation is all completed!

We arrived at BOMA around 5:20 and they seated us quickly...

They didn't care that you were 20 minutes late for your 5:00 ADR?

"No'hana" is hilarious!

Did anyone try that absurdly steep waterslide at BB?

What, no carrot ginger soup from Boma? Why? WHY??

Our daughter (now 9) HATES Tower of Terror as well. He have to bribe her with a gift shop purchase to get her to ride. Last year, we finally decided that we don't enjoy the ride when she's on it, so it's almost not worth it. Stinks, because I end up missing multiple rides on TOT, but the two of us ride RnRC while my wife and son ride TOT, so it could be worse. Hopefully this year will be better!

Loving this TR, and really loving that you bought the bubble gun FOR YOURSELF. Who says bubbles stop being fun once you get older?

Can't wait to read more!

Joining in - seems like such a fun trip. I love the surprise announcement and using the puzzle/codec is so great!

As a side note, my youngest daughter's name is Emma Kathleen

They didn't care that you were 20 minutes late for your 5:00 ADR?

"No'hana" is hilarious!

Did anyone try that absurdly steep waterslide at BB?

What, no carrot ginger soup from Boma? Why? WHY??

Our daughter (now 9) HATES Tower of Terror as well. He have to bribe her with a gift shop purchase to get her to ride. Last year, we finally decided that we don't enjoy the ride when she's on it, so it's almost not worth it. Stinks, because I end up missing multiple rides on TOT, but the two of us ride RnRC while my wife and son ride TOT, so it could be worse. Hopefully this year will be better!

Loving this TR, and really loving that you bought the bubble gun FOR YOURSELF. Who says bubbles stop being fun once you get older?

Can't wait to read more!

SO, our BOMA ressie was for 5:55 and we were early. They are very nice there!!

There was carrot ginger soup, which is yummy, but I wanted to try the chicken curry and can only eat so much.

DH has done Summit Plummet before. Just wasn't up for it that day. I am NEVER doing that. EVER!

Thank you for your kind words and for reading my very first trip report. It's so much fun to share our memories with new friends!

[QUOTE As a side note, my youngest daughter's name is Emma Kathleen[/QUOTE]

You have excellent taste!

Following along! We have our trip planned for sept...it'll be our second time staying at the WL. We just love it there...I can't wait to hear more about your trip and see some more pictures! What type room did you have and where was it located. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to request our room assignment to be. We are in a courtyard room.

We had a Woods View room. It had two queen beds. We have had bunk bed rooms in the past and our girls like those a lot. We were in room 5132 and our view was the Villas pool and a tiny smudge of Bay Lake. It was very peaceful! You can't see it all that well in the pic. The only time we stayed at WL and thought it was loud was when we were over the lobby and could hear Whispering Canyon. At the time, our DDs went to bed very early. I don't think that would bother us now. I hope you enjoy Wilderness Lodge! Sigh.
IMG_1193.jpg

In Which We Adopt a Baby Yeti

Next morning, Tyson and I were up with the birds, as usual. We grabbed our coffee and soaked in the lovely resort in the quiet peace of early morning. No time to linger, however. We had an 8:00 a.m. ADR at Tusker House – a family favorite!!

We considered driving, but decided to head out to the bus stop. If it didn’t arrive in 15 minutes or so, we had our keys and could hop in the minivan. There was a Cast Member out there who was tracking the buses and said we could expect an AK bus within 15 minutes, so we waited. Sure enough, it arrived in plenty of time.

Katie was freezing, so Emma held her. Yup, they are pretty sweet.cold Katie.jpg

There were quite a few people waiting in the courtyard area. I was surprised because I don’t recall seeing so many in years past. We checked in with the CM and waited for the turnstiles to open.

There was a group of Disney CMs (like executives) over to the side. I spotted none other than Joe Rohde – the man who masterminded Animal Kingdom, The Adventurers Club and, now, Avatar Land (which, I just don’t get). Anyway, it was a cool celeb spotting. No photo, because I’m just not like that.

Tyson and Emma are very fast walkers, so they took off as soon as we got through the turnstiles to check us in at Tusker House. Katie and I were close behind. We ended up second to check in and got seated as soon as they opened the doors. The photo op was without Donald and was not mandatory, so we skipped it.

As always, the food was terrific! I had some oatmeal and fruit to start and went back up for carved ham and some of the African dishes. Yummy! The characters are so sweet! I still get excited to see them. This is one of the few places to see Daisy too. No autographs this year for the kiddos, just hugs and photos.Daisy.jpg

After breakfast, we headed right for Kiliminjaro Safari – one of my FAVORITE attractions in all of Disney. I love animals, particularly wild animals and mostly elephants – so this ride is a must for me. I’d ride it two or three times if left o my own devices. We saw white rhino, black rhino, ELEPHANTS!!, Lion, Giraffe, Zebra and Okapi. It was a nice ride and still a cool morning, so lots of activity. Next, we walked the Pangani Trail and Emma started the Wilderness Explorer booklet, which she enjoyed, even though I think it's really for younger kids.

We had FP for Expedition Everest. Tyson and Emma rode first and then Emma went with me. Katie was not going to ride it. No way. I didn’t expect her to. We love the gift shop at Everest and Emma found a baby Yeti! She already had a big round one we named Betty. Betty the Yeti. So, we had to get her a baby. We named him Teddy.
teddy.jpg

Next, we caught the Flights of Wonder show. Emma has an interest in birds because she has a pet Budgie at home. The show is really great! I highly recommend it.

We did Maharajah Jungle Trek and saw the birds, bats and Tigers. Now we were getting hungry, so we grabbed some take out from Yak & Yeti. We shared food again: the chicken salad with ginger dressing, shrimp fried rice and honey chicken. It was plenty to tide us over. Plus, we got a seat in some shade!!

Here’s where Katie overcame her fear and rode Primeval Whirl! We were so excited that she finally said YES!!! The ride is really silly, and it reminds me of the Mad Tea Party, which she loves. So, we stuck her between us, and she LOVED IT!! We win! Next we rode Dinosaur. Holy outdated ride, Batman! We've seen the other shows at Animal Kingdom many many times. They are great, but we were on a short trip and this would have to be it for Animal Kingdom this time.

Then we headed back to Wilderness Lodge for some pool time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter