When is the best time of year to go?

ChesireSue

Earning My Ears
I'm planning on taking my husband on his first trip To WDW and I am wondering what would be the best time to go. Looking for a time it won't be crazy crowded like in July.

Thanks

:earsgirl: :earsboy:

We went during the first week of December 2001 and the parks were not crowded, the weather was mild and not humid. In addition, the parks were decorated for Christmas which made it very festive (although it felt a little funny swimming with holiday decorations all around).

We also went in Sept - not crowded - in fact it was practically empty - but very, very hot and rainy.

We are trying May this year. I hear it's warm, less humid, lighter crowds.

Have been at WDW 5 different times of the year and here is my preference order:
1. Early Dec. - THE BEST!!! Christmas decorations are up and great extras such as Osbourne lights, MVMCP and Candlelight Proc. Temps are comfortable without being cold (but there are exceptions!!!)
2. Mid Nov. - second best. Food & Wine Festival is alot of fun and I had great weather - low to mid 70's and no rain (again, there are exceptions!!)
3. Late Jan. - This had to be the quietest time I'd ever seen at WDW. Everything was a walk-on!!! But the weather, although no rain, was COLD!!! We were there during that freezing cold snap and only 1 day was above 60.
4. Early Feb. - This really should be a tie with Jan. Parks were a little busier than Jan. but still pretty dead. Weather was a little warmer, but not a heck of a lot.
5. Early June - Alot more people than I was used to and the weather was rainy, muggy, etc. Won't go again at this time of year (unless someone gives me a free trip!!!)

Hope this helps!!! :bounce:

We have gone several times at the end of January and it is not busy unless you are there the weekend of Martin Luther King Jr. (Avoid that weekend if you can). It was usually quite cool and usually couldn't swim in the pools. Last year we went the last week of September/first week of October and it was 90 evey day with the heat index over 100 each day. It was hurricane season and there were hurricanes around. I think it was warmer than the usualy average for this time, but we fried in the parks. Did use the pools alot! This year we are trying the first to second week of December and hope to find a happy temperature that suits us better. Good luck with your decision!

Does your husband handle heat and humidity really well? If not, since it's his first WDW trip, I would avoid the summer months like the plague. It would be so much nicer for his first visit to be when the weather has a good chance of being pleasant while the crowds are also down.

You've had a couple good suggestions here already. I agree that theChristmas decorations are incredible, and the beginning of December would be a great time to go. I'm leaving tomorrow after work for my first late Feb./early March trip. Sounds like the weather will be mild/warm and I've heard that the crowds should be very doable. Hopefully that will be the case. I'll post a report when I'm back and let you know how this time of year worked out.

Good luck as you plan! :D

i think the best time to go is when the parks are open the longest, in the summer. Then if you get cranky or snippy you can head back to the resort for a break and come back later and go til the parks close. you dont want to feel the pressure to stay.

I love March. It is, as Mary Poppins says, "practically perfect in every way." The temperature is glorious -- 70's and 80's -- and the average rainfall amount is very low. It's nice enough to swim but not too hot at the parks. It's crowded, but not terribly so. And it is an extra treat if you live in an area with WINTER, because by March, WDW is definitely in Spring -- flowers and birds everywhere.

Every time we go in March I try to figure out how to relocate to Orlando.

i went for the first 2 weeks of September last year.

it was HOT, but NO CROWDS (in fact i WALKED ONTO DUMBO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY!!!!!!)

My family and I have visited Orlando in June, August, January, February, and April of various years. Our very first trip to WDW was the end of June '89. We found it hot but not unbearable. Being from the Northeast, it was actually quite nice to have so much sun. The next time we went to WDW was August '96, and I thought we were all going to perish from the heat and humidity. The crowds were huge. The day we went to Universal Studios we ended up leaving early and didn't see everything we wanted to. It was just too hot and the kids weren't enjoying it, so we left and went back to our hotel and spent an enjoyable afternoon swimming. The August trip was fun, but we swore we'd never go back in the summer again. The weather during our January and February trips was in the mid 70's-mid 80's, delightful! The crowds were minimal and it was especially nice to leave behind three feet of snow and temps below zero! We would definitely go again in late winter or early spring.

I have been to Disney 5 times.

1st two times were during April vacation and it was very busy both times. Lots of things going on though.

The 3rd time we arrived on Chirstmas day, MOBBED. It put the April vacations to shame. VERY long lines and people everywhere.

The 4th time was at the end of May, the place seemed empty to me since I was only used to the busiest times. You could ride whatever you wanted but it did seem a bit dead and missing some of the action of the busier times.

The 5th time was the middle of last July. It really wasn't that bad. Much better than the April vacations and the Chirstmas trip. I think it had to do with the decrease in travel lately. Weather wasn't too bad either low to mid 80's but that was rare.

I'm going back this May and I can't wait.

Denman, I have seen a few of your posts and just had to say, the photos of your little princess with the Disney princesses are priceless! My favorite photos of my babies are all from WDW too!

Thanks Colleen for your kind words. Those babies grow up quick!

I have been to Disney World in January, April, May, August, and October. I loved going in January even though it was cold we had a blast, parks where empty and characters seemed to be out more than any other time we have went. But if you want warmer weather May would be my second choice. I think our longest wait was 30 minutes for test track.

The least crowded time that I have been to the parks was the third week in August. The weather was warm, but not overly hot. We rode everything with little to no waits. It was perfect, and I hope to go back at that time of year again. Maybe this August... :p

I have been in Jan, Feb, Sept, and Oct. and I loved the end of September and early October. Weather was spectacular and lines were SHORT.

When we were younger we went in the summer, and the first time we ever went to Florida was 21 years ago (we were 7), and the most vivid memory I have of that trip was when the airplane door opened and the humidity just hit you like a tun of bricks! We have been in September (too hot, but empty), late september/early October (again too hot, but empty, untill October came around...then the crowds picked up). Our favourite time by far was when we went in December. We were there the first two weeks. The weather was BEAUTIFUL, and the crowds were VERY VERY light! Not to mention all the Christmas decorations, nothing else compairs!

Our favorite so far was first week in December, but looking forward to beginning of May for swimming and water parks. Our least favorite was last week in August 2002, was crowded and very humid/hot. Beginning of October use to be a great time to go but the secret is out and now it's a more crowded time of year to go and no longer considered value season :(

Late September was really, really nice for us. It was hot but not OH-MY-GOSH I'm dying hot, just kind of let's take a break and swim hot. And the crowds are non-existent.

You do get the daily rain storm, but hey, that's Florida.

We just went the second half of Presidents Week. Now, I can't recommend this, especially to first timers, because the weather can be hit or miss and crowds are unpredictable, but-- we lucked out with GLORIOUS weather, 70's every day, sometimes in the 80's, and only one rainstorm. We even found the crowds managable. Don't get me wrong, there WERE crowds--- but we had a plan and they didn't bother us much.

I find that I really need a vacation in the dead of winter and Florida really hit the spot.

Next vacation for us will either be late September again, early May, or November.

Let me also add that when I was there in Dec it was VERY COLD. Were talking 32 degrees at night cold. Yes, that is lower then normal but I froze my you know what off at night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter