when should I start saving for my grad trip in 2022?

reillydiane05

the freshman year mousketeer//SHSW '22
Me and my best friends want to take a graduation trip in the summer of 2022. When should we start saving for our trip?

(a) Estimate how much your trip will cost.
(b) Estimate how much you can save each week.

Divide (b) into (a) to get the number of weeks before your trip you need to start saving. Then add a buffer (in case price is higher than expected and/or some weeks you save less than expected)

Agreed, now. It's 3 years or 36 months away. Even if you save $50/month, that's 39 months away (assuming a May 2022 graduation date) so that's $1950. Depending on how long you want to stay, tickets could be 1/4 to 1/3 of that already. Plus airfare, room & dining...

The sooner that you start to save, the easier it will be to fit the (smaller) savings into your budget. It's really no different than saving for anything else. For example, you can save $$ a month for 40 years for retirement or wait and then have to save $$$$ for 10 years. I agree with PP on estimating your costs and come up with a number that you'll need to save if you start now. Then do the same calculation if you wait and don't start saving until next year or the year after. You'll find a number that works for you and your budget.

Start saving now. Disney prices continue to climb each year. I'd start by figuring out how much the trip would cost today, add 20% and divide by the number of months you have left and start putting that away each month.

check the gift card deals page and anytime there's a really great one, get a gift card. For example, gc were 40% off through RMN in August. So, save some cash each month so that when gift card deals come along, you can grab them.

another way to save is to make a reservation for 2022 when they are first available. it will only be $200 deposit which is refundable 31 days out and have you locked in at the 2021 price. you can apply discounts later if they come out or even adjust the dates a little bit if there is availability. I booked our reservation for 2019 before rates when up in October 2018. I've been able to adjust the dates and still keep the old ticket prices.

adding some info!!

there will be three of us going, so we can split the cost 3 ways.

2/3 of us are in DVC-owning families

2/3 of us are also current AP holders

I would start saving now. Not necessarily the "eat ramen and sell plasma" kind of savings, but as others have stated, if you can put away even a small amount each month, it will add up, and you can have a pleasant trip without resorting to ramen and selling plasma. It's easy to put any "windfall" money into the trip pot, from a found $5 bill to coupon savings or other unexpected cash, no matter how small the amount. You could even ask for Disney gift cards for birthdays and other occasions. My DD23 is planning a trip to Mexico in August, and she already asked, for her June birthday, if we'd give her $100 towards some special, 10-course meal she wants to enjoy while there. The rest of her trip will be super-budget, so I'm happy to provide a splurge.

adding some info!!

there will be three of us going, so we can split the cost 3 ways.

2/3 of us are in DVC-owning families

2/3 of us are also current AP holders
Good information. You are already planning smartly.
Follow this site: https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-gift-card-deals.2941964/page-1855 it will help you save money on Disney gift cards.
Just start saving everywhere you can. Just for fun, decorate yourself a Disney Vacation jar (mayonnaise size jar) and throw all your loose change in it. The pennies add up quickly.
Have fun, study hard, and save your money, it's that easy.

Good information. You are already planning smartly. it will help you save money on Disney gift cards.
Just start saving everywhere you can. Just for fun, decorate yourself a Disney Vacation jar (mayonnaise size jar) and throw all your loose change in it. The pennies add up quickly.
Have fun, study hard, and save your money, it's that easy.

(link removed b/c i cant post links yet)

i've already got you covered on the study hard department- i made honor roll for the 1st 2 quarters of this year!!

i have a large jar in my room that i can use for savings, and my friend said when the time comes to book, he'll talk to his mom about using their APs for a room discount.

i have some change in my wallet, and i know where it'll be going when i get home from robotics tonight! thanks for the tip!

best wishes, reilly

thanks for the helpful tips so far, everyone! i'll pass them on to my friends at lunch (8th period)!!

thanks for the helpful tips so far, everyone! i'll pass them on to my friends at lunch (8th period)!!
Sounds like you're still in high school. A lot can change between now and graduation. I encourage you to save what you can but do not "invest" any of that cash in Disney gift cards or other places where you cannot get your money back as cash if plans fall thru. You're liable to get to graduation day only to find that college plans take priority over a Disney trip. Maybe not for you, but for one or both of your friends.

Sounds like you're still in high school. A lot can change between now and graduation. I encourage you to save what you can but do not "invest" any of that cash in Disney gift cards or other places where you cannot get your money back as cash if plans fall thru. You're liable to get to graduation day only to find that college plans take priority over a Disney trip. Maybe not for you, but for one or both of your friends.

i'm going to start putting whatever money i have in a jar in my room, so if plans fall thru, i can use that cash on something else.

and yes, i just started HS this past september :)

Last edited:
Figure out what it's going to cost approximately. Add price increases of 5% for 20, 21 and 22 (each year.) Divide it by how long you have, and see if that's a reasonable weekly/monthly savings rate for you. I'm saving up for our November 2020 trip now because i want it to be as small of a monthly hit as possible.

(link removed b/c i cant post links yet)

i've already got you covered on the study hard department- i made honor roll for the 1st 2 quarters of this year!!

i have a large jar in my room that i can use for savings, and my friend said when the time comes to book, he'll talk to his mom about using their APs for a room discount.

i have some change in my wallet, and i know where it'll be going when i get home from robotics tonight! thanks for the tip!

best wishes, reilly
Good for you. Get a plan and stick with it whether it is graduating HS, going to college, or saving for the first vacation on you own. I'm a graduate student going for my PhD. I've been planning a LOOOOONG time. Study hard and save your money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter