when to book?

briarberry

Mouseketeer
This will be my first time booking on my own (without travel agent) and with an AP. Should I book now for Aug. 22-26th and wait for the codes to come out then call back or wait until they come out?
I hope to get 3 nights at Riverside and 3 nights at WL. Should we stay at the moderate first then go to the deluxe or vica versa?
This is our second trip, last year we were at the POP which was fine but this year we are driving down (cheaper) and putting the saved cash towards nicer resorts.
Any advice would be welcome! :flower:

I would book now. You can always apply codes and discounts to your ressie later on. That's just another wonderful thing about Disney. :earsboy:

You can only "apply" a code to a reservation if there is a room available. If there aren't any rooms that qualify for the code you will not be able to apply it.

Personally, I wait for a code before I book. If a lot of rooms are booked at rack rate, why release any discounts or they may not discount them as low as they have done in previous years (which may be what happened with the late April - July 4th time period)

Also, if you book a room at a resort at rack rate, that's one less room that will be available to be discounted.

Many people will say to book what you can afford and what you're willing to pay if no discounts become available. If you would not pay rack rate for the room you reserve, then, IMHO, don't make the reservation.

Yes you can wait, but what could then happen is that the dates you want at the resort(s) you want may not be available at all. Then what are you going to do? Change resorts and/or vacation dates. I would still go ahead and book, at least I know that I will get the resort I want on the dates that I want. :earsboy:

simzac said:
Yes you can wait, but what could then happen is that the dates you want at the resort(s) you want may not be available at all. Then what are you going to do? Change resorts and/or vacation dates. I would still go ahead and book, at least I know that I will get the resort I want on the dates that I want. :earsboy:

What I'm saying is that if you're not willing to pay rack rate then you should wait. Just because you have a room booked does not mean you will get the discount if one is released. If a person wants a certain resort and is willing to pay rack rate, then by all means, book now. If you're only going to be staying at that resort if you get a discount then you should wait or book a resort you are willing to pay rack rate.
Having a previous reservation does not guarantee a discount, the only way you can get a discounted room is if one is available.

If there are not any discounted rooms available at the resort you want then what would you do? Would you book a different resort or keep your reservation at rack rate?

I agree with weluvpluto. Book what you can afford and IF a discount comes out for your timeframe, then try to book an upgrade at a discount. By having your ressie where you want, but can't afford, is never a good thing. Having a ressie at a resort in no way guarantees you a discount on that resort. When you call the CM checks your timeframe and resort and if there is an identifical room at a discount, they will apply it to your current reservation. It only takes one day of no discount to wreak havoc on your plans. While getting a discount on Riverside can be doable, getting a discount at WL is not one of the easist discounts to get, and generally not at the standard level, so be willing to pay for a higher level of room (Lodge view or courtyard view). I'm not saying standard rooms at WL don't have discounts, but they are rare and go quickly.

If you do do a split stay (something I tried and hated), always go with the lower level first (Moderate then Delux). Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter