when to buy plane tickets?

SugarSweetLee

Mouseketeer
How far in advance do you usually buy your plane tickets? Do you ever notice a "sweet spot" for better pricing?

I tend to start looking as soon as I know the dates I want to be there. Having used the same airline for several years now (jetblue) I know what the average price should be and will pull the trigger when I get into that average range. After I book I keep an eye on the price and if I see any reduction I call up and they credit me the difference. This probably changes airline to airline but that is at least how I personally handle it. Check your personal airline of preference and see what their policy is.

Our trips are always over the summer... we're both teachers.

I always book airfare in January. I watch the prices (admittedly a bit obsessively) and bite when they go down.

Last winter, the total for the flights I wanted was $1440 every single day for about a month. One day it dipped down to $1220 and I bought. The next day it was up to $1440.

I always book airfare in January. I watch the prices (admittedly a bit obsessively) and bite when they go down.

Last winter, the total for the flights I wanted was $1440 every single day for about a month. One day it dipped down to $1220 and I bought. The next day it was up to $1440.

I think I need to take a page out of your book and just keep checking. I'm feeling pretty frustrated because when we started planning last week (Wednesday) for a trip in January, the price was the same every day through yesterday Monday morning. Monday afternoon I decided to go ahead and buy, and the prices had jumped by more than $100 per person!! They have gone down by a little bit since then, but are still quite a bit more than the intial price we saw all week (which is the number we were budgeting with). Maybe they'll go back down in another day or two.... :genie: Edit: Nope, gone back up. :(

I tend to start looking as soon as I know the dates I want to be there. Having used the same airline for several years now (jetblue) I know what the average price should be and will pull the trigger when I get into that average range. After I book I keep an eye on the price and if I see any reduction I call up and they credit me the difference. This probably changes airline to airline but that is at least how I personally handle it. Check your personal airline of preference and see what their policy is.

Yeah, definitely regret not pulling the trigger when it was trending steady all week/end. Stupid airlines jacking their fees up and down, toying with my heart... :badpc:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter