When to check in? Why check in early?

Post-trip update. I did do online check-in and didn't get a room-ready text. We arrived at the resort around 2:15 pm. Went to the front desk. None of my requests--which I'd telephoned in several months earlier--had been met. The CM told me that this was because I'd done online check-in and when the resort (SSR) is busy, they look at only the requests on the online check-in form and don't have time to see what you've asked for over the phone.

I'd requested nothing on the online check-in form because the three things I wanted weren't choices on online check-in.

So I ended up at the front desk for quite a while while they found me a room. We got a great room, btw, but it had nothing to do with online check-in.

In the future, unless my requests are available as choices for online check-in, I won't be doing it.

Just wanted to report my experience here. It was worth a try and it could've worked out, yet it didn't.

Just as an FYI, what you were told at the Front Desk is patently false. When you phone in any requests, that information is provided to the room assignors along with the other needed details like room category, dates, etc. It's actually easier to see than any requests made during Online Check In. Sometimes they just can't grant requests when they start assigning rooms.

Just as an FYI, what you were told at the Front Desk is patently false. When you phone in any requests that information is provided to the room assignors along with the other needed details like room category, dates, etc. It's actually easier to see than any requests made during Online Check In. Sometimes they just can't grant requests when they start assigning rooms.
I'm only reporting what I was told by the CM at the front desk. And, btw, they were able to meet all my requests with the room I was eventually assigned: water view, upper floor, Paddock. Zero of those things were included in the room they'd assigned me when I went to the check-in desk. In fact, the CM thought that I wanted Grandstand and spent a great deal of time trying to find me a room I'd like there. So, actually, they were able to grant my requests.

I'm only reporting what I was told by the CM at the front desk.

I know, just wanted anyone else reading this to know what you were told is not correct.

And, btw, they were able to meet all my requests with the room I was eventually assigned: water view, upper floor, Paddock. Zero of those things were included in the room they'd assigned me when I went to the check-in desk. In fact, the CM thought that I wanted Grandstand and spent a great deal of time trying to find me a room I'd like there. So, actually, they were able to grant my requests.

Right, they just weren't able to during initial assignment which happens 2-3 days prior.

I know, just wanted anyone else reading this to know what you were told is not correct.
Aha! It's no surprise that it's not correct. I still have to call up WDW Tickets to straighten out my incorrectly priced AP upgrade.

Right, they just weren't able to during initial assignment which happens 2-3 days prior.
But fortunately they were able to meet my requests at check-in. The room's a big deal to us, so it was great to get what we wanted. And, as a bonus, our room was just steps from the bus stop!

I do it because if it works correctly I don't have to go to the front desk.

If you have a phone with internet you can always look up a map of the resort (yes they even give you a link) and see if that room number will work for you. Then if it doesn't, go to the front desk when you get there and ask that it be changed.

What the PP was told at the desk is not correct. If the room assigners can't, at that time, meet your requests, you won't get them. Doesn't mean you are stuck with that room when you check in, but you have to ask for a new one and see what they can come up with, and that means you have to go to the front desk whether you checked in early or not.

I don't have much preference as to where the room is, so it doesn't bother me.

Let's say I do online check-in, but we have an early flight and arrive at the hotel at 10am, prior to check-in. Technically, we'll still have to go to the front desk to see if they'll hold our luggage, correct?

Also, if we do online check-in, and we are assigned a room and or building that we are not happy with, is there any chance to have it changed? I'm just thinking that if you go to the front desk and they say you are in room ____, and you are not thrilled with it, you can ask them if there is any other availability, correct? Is that possible with online check-in?

No, you go to bell services for luggage, not the front desk.

If you get a room that you don't like (it happened to me at AKL) you can still go to the front desk and ask to have it changed, even if you do online check in.

Thanks for the replies. My question isn’t really so much about advantage or not of checking in online but as to the advantage or not of doing so EARLY. I’m mostly concerned with getting my room preference that I had already stated on my account.

So is checking in online EARLY (like weeks before) beneficial?

Thanks! :)

I've read here many times that rooms are assigned something like 5 days before check in, so if you have a preference, be sure to let them know your preference (either by calling or doing online check in) before that.

Yes it is true...rooms are assigned 3-5 days before the arrival date, whether the guest has used online-check-in or not. If room preference is a major thing with you, then you need to put in your requests. Online check-in has a few built in requests, but they are very general, like upper floor, near elevator, etc. If these aren't specific enough, additional requests can be made by calling and putting those requests on your reservation. You don't need to do that months ahead but it should probably be done by a week before your arrival date.

If you don't like the room you are assigned, it can't hurt anything to go to the front desk and ask if a room more to your liking is available. You don't lose the ability to do that by checking in online.

I've read here many times that rooms are assigned something like 5 days before check in, so if you have a preference, be sure to let them know your preference (either by calling or doing online check in) before that.
I can even confirm more than it's just something read on Disboards. I got an email from a CBR room assigner 5 days before we arrived last summer. She was doing our room assignment at that time and the due to construction the building we'd requested had been re-categorized so she contacted me to find out what our preferences were after the change. Left no doubt when they make assignments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter