When to go: Aug or Nov?

ADisneyFamilyof5

Mouseketeer
So we are looking to do our first WDW trip in 2020 and I am just now starting to do a rough budget. We want it to be a 2 week trip since it might be the only time we get there while the kids are young. Due to one son being in middle school and the other being a competitive soccer player, we can only take 1 week off of school. So that leaves me with either going anytime in August or November during the week of Thanksgiving and week after. Having never been to Florida, I don't know which time would be better? A few of my thoughts:

- Low crowds are really important.
- My boys are BIG on pools. They will want to swim everyday and hit at least one of the water parks.
- We are use to heat, having spent last summer in Greece. However, I am unsure how Florida compares especially with the storms in summer.
- If you suggest August, would beginning, middle or end of the month be best?

Thanks for the help!

We are going at the end of August because our schools don't go back until Labor Day. Many schools in the south and FL go back in early to mid August, which helps cut down on crowds. It is going to be crazy hot and you have the hurricane season issue as well. November weather is iffy and can be very nice and warm and perfect pool weather, or could be chilly. I'm from MN, so FL in Nov would still be fine swimming weather, but YMMV. We swim in the lake in May which I think would make a person from FL freeze solid. Swimming is a big part of our vacations so that is why we picked August as well as visiting the water parks (we love Typhoon Lagoon!). Park hours are also less in November (except for during Thanksgiving week). Thanksgiving week is going to be VERY crowded. If you go in August you will have to plan to take some kind of breaks, drink lots of water, and plan for the heat.

August is hotter and more humid, but that makes swimming doable every day, aside from possible storms as you mentioned. November can be great for swimming, but cold snaps can sweep down at that time too, creating a stretch of a few days where it could be too cold to swim, though it sounds like your family may be able to handle that. And depending on if you are also going the week before or after Thanksgiving, you could be there in early December.

Temperatures for walking in the parks will be more pleasant in November.

I have gone multiple times in the latter half of August, and also the beginning of November, and once at Thanksgiving time. Crowds are lighter in August the last two weeks of the month than the first two. Thanksgiving time is crowded several days around the holiday itself, but if you are going for two weeks, you should also have over a week of lower crowds too. Unless things have changed recently.

So we are looking to do our first WDW trip in 2020 and I am just now starting to do a rough budget. We want it to be a 2 week trip since it might be the only time we get there while the kids are young. Due to one son being in middle school and the other being a competitive soccer player, we can only take 1 week off of school. So that leaves me with either going anytime in August or November during the week of Thanksgiving and week after. Having never been to Florida, I don't know which time would be better? A few of my thoughts:

- My boys are BIG on pools. They will want to swim everyday and hit at least one of the water parks.
- We are use to heat, having spent last summer in Greece. However, I am unsure how Florida compares especially with the storms in summer.

Thanks for the help!

First, not to sound harsh, but a bit of a reality check. There is no "low crowds" time at WDW. It's the most popular theme park on the planet, literally. It's always very busy. So forget the low crowd thing...not gonna happen.

If your boys are really into swimming, then August is pretty much the default choice. If you go in November you may or may not get swimming weather. We've been there in Nov when it's 85 degrees...and also been there when it was 65 degrees. Plus the sun goes in earlier and isn't as strong. Yes, summer is hot in Florida. I haven't been to Greece, so I can't compare it to that. Typical days are low to mid 90s. Evenings in the low to mid 70s overnight. You may or may not get afternoon t-storms. You could go 10 straight days with one every day, then go 10 days with none at all during the daytime (they may happen overnight). It could be pouring in Epcot and sunny in AK.

As for which week in August is better, it truly makes no difference. Xmas, Spring Break are times where you really notice a difference in crowds...even Thanksgiving itself is notably busier. But a "normal" non-holiday summer week is pretty much the same from one to the next.

Oh, and I highly recommend the water parks. We absolutely love them. They're so much fun. If your boys like swimming that much, I'd make a point to visit both of them.

For me, it's November - no question. Crowds are more manageable in Nov. (except over the actual Thanksgiving week). You've got the holiday decorations/events ramping up, and depending when you go, perhaps the end of the Food and Wine festival. We are not huge fans of heat, but November in FL is not what we would consider "cool". As for swimming? We're from Michigan. We'll swim in just about any weather. I've been in December, January, and March, and the only time there wasn't swim-ready temperatures was the first week of January this year (which was really unseasonably cold!).

Because of the desire to swim every day, I'd say August is your best bet. It will be easier to plan your water park days and schedule time for pools in August. The weather is just too iffy in Nov.

Contrary to PP's opinion, there is a difference in crowd levels, and sometimes a week or two can make a huge difference. The later in Aug you can go, the less crowded it will be. Will it be an empty park? No, of course not. But the crowd level from the first week of Aug to the last week of Aug is noticeably different.

I'd choose August. Hands down. Because whenever I go to FL in the summer, the weather in the northeast is JUST AS BAD. And heat/humidity is easier to plan for than say some freak cold spell.

I also choose August because the weather where I'm coming from is less temperamental as far as delays/cancellations.

Contrary to PP's opinion, there is a difference in crowd levels, and sometimes a week or two can make a huge difference. The later in Aug you can go, the less crowded it will be. Will it be an empty park? No, of course not. But the crowd level from the first week of Aug to the last week of Aug is noticeably different.

So wait, mine is opinion and yours is fact?

Anyhow, my opinion...and that's what all of this is about, right...is that especially for a WDW first timer, they're not going to notice any difference in crowds. It's crowded. If you've never been to WDW before, unless you go at Xmas or something like that, you simply won't notice the difference between Aug 1st and Aug 29th. Weather always, always plays a role in crowds, but that's unpredictable and therefore you can't account for that. But even as a park veteran, I'm sorry but I can't tell the difference between the first week of June, the last week of June, the third week of July or the second week of October. Xmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, sure, but the rest, sorry I don't see it. Some of it also has to do with crowd "sensitivity". For us, when we're at WDW, we expect it to be crowded, so we don't really pay much attention unless it's clearly obviously different...again like Xmas.

Regardless, based on what OP is looking for, I think August is the better time to go...mostly for the swimming weather.

Late November around Thanksgiving will be busier than August. The rest of November will be fairly comparable to August for crowds. Both are around 6 out of 10. November does not guarantee swimming weather. On average there is less rain in November and you will have Christmas decoration up.

If pools are a must then August gives you guaranteed pool weather.

Dan

One of the water parks will be closed in November. For the last few years, the refurb schedule has had Typhoon lagoon the only water park open for November.

No question November. But I love the parks in the evening and night. August it's hot until 9pm.

We would choose November without a doubt. Can't take the heat & humidity in the parks in the summer months.

Pros in August: you will definitely have weather for swimming, crowds may be a little lower (though as previous posters have said, there really isn't a "low" crowd time...August is less crowded than the week of Thanksgiving though), don't need to take any time off from school; more daylight hours and usually longer park hours
Cons in August: it will be hot and very high humidity, chance of having trip affected by hurricane season

Pros in November: the weather will be more temperate; decorations and holiday celebrations/events
Cons in November: while the weather is more temperate, it can also get cooler especially in the morning and at night. We've gone during this time frame and had everything from 85 and sunny to high of 55 and rainy (though that was an amazing park day for crowds lol). Because of this, swimming may or may not be an option; kids will miss a week of school; less daylight hours; crowds Thanksgiving week will be higher than crowds in August - we've gone this week and had fun and it's totally do-able, but you should be prepared that this is the case.

For me, it comes down to what your vacation to be and what type of weather you would prefer to have to accommodate the type of vacation you want. If water parks, swimming, other outdoor activities around Disney property are what you're looking for - I'd go with August. If hot and humid is not something you want to deal with, I'd go with November!

We traveled in August for many years because of school schedules and had great trips. You’ll have both water parks open, late hours-it’s hot, but we can deal with it. In November you should have nice weather and the fall decorations. I think crowds might be a little better in August.

Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]
We love doing Thanksgiving and the week after:) You'll get some Christmas stuff in which is fun. The week of Thanksgiving would be busier, but the next week would not.

First, not to sound harsh, but a bit of a reality check. There is no "low crowds" time at WDW. It's the most popular theme park on the planet, literally. It's always very busy. So forget the low crowd thing...not gonna happen.

If your boys are really into swimming, then August is pretty much the default choice. If you go in November you may or may not get swimming weather. We've been there in Nov when it's 85 degrees...and also been there when it was 65 degrees. Plus the sun goes in earlier and isn't as strong. Yes, summer is hot in Florida. I haven't been to Greece, so I can't compare it to that. Typical days are low to mid 90s. Evenings in the low to mid 70s overnight. You may or may not get afternoon t-storms. You could go 10 straight days with one every day, then go 10 days with none at all during the daytime (they may happen overnight). It could be pouring in Epcot and sunny in AK.

As for which week in August is better, it truly makes no difference. Xmas, Spring Break are times where you really notice a difference in crowds...even Thanksgiving itself is notably busier. But a "normal" non-holiday summer week is pretty much the same from one to the next.

Oh, and I highly recommend the water parks. We absolutely love them. They're so much fun. If your boys like swimming that much, I'd make a point to visit both of them.

Thanks for your insight. I guess I should have phrased it differently. I realize there is no such thing as low crowds anymore (We are yearly Disneyland visitors), I was just wondering which of my dates would be better in regards to lower crowds (if at all). I guess it will come down to what weather we want to visit in. Heat doesn't bother us and we are use to rain (We live in Oregon), but I worry about the rides in the storms. In Disneyland, some rides shut down in the rain for safety reasons. Does this happen in WDW as well?

For me, it's November - no question. Crowds are more manageable in Nov. (except over the actual Thanksgiving week). You've got the holiday decorations/events ramping up, and depending when you go, perhaps the end of the Food and Wine festival. We are not huge fans of heat, but November in FL is not what we would consider "cool". As for swimming? We're from Michigan. We'll swim in just about any weather. I've been in December, January, and March, and the only time there wasn't swim-ready temperatures was the first week of January this year (which was really unseasonably cold!).

We live in Oregon and feel the same way about swimming! We went to Disneyland a few years back in November and were literally 1 of 5 families at the pool one day. We loved it! We are going back to DL this November and hoping it works out that way again!

I'd choose August. Hands down. Because whenever I go to FL in the summer, the weather in the northeast is JUST AS BAD. And heat/humidity is easier to plan for than say some freak cold spell.

I also choose August because the weather where I'm coming from is less temperamental as far as delays/cancellations.

You make a really good point about flight delays/cancellations. When we went to Disneyland in November a few years back and snowstorm was coming. Since we were driving we just left a day early and got out of Oregon before it hit. I would hate to have to deal with that when trying to fly to WDW. Thanks!

Pros in August: you will definitely have weather for swimming, crowds may be a little lower (though as previous posters have said, there really isn't a "low" crowd time...August is less crowded than the week of Thanksgiving though), don't need to take any time off from school; more daylight hours and usually longer park hours
Cons in August: it will be hot and very high humidity, chance of having trip affected by hurricane season

Pros in November: the weather will be more temperate; decorations and holiday celebrations/events
Cons in November: while the weather is more temperate, it can also get cooler especially in the morning and at night. We've gone during this time frame and had everything from 85 and sunny to high of 55 and rainy (though that was an amazing park day for crowds lol). Because of this, swimming may or may not be an option; kids will miss a week of school; less daylight hours; crowds Thanksgiving week will be higher than crowds in August - we've gone this week and had fun and it's totally do-able, but you should be prepared that this is the case.

For me, it comes down to what your vacation to be and what type of weather you would prefer to have to accommodate the type of vacation you want. If water parks, swimming, other outdoor activities around Disney property are what you're looking for - I'd go with August. If hot and humid is not something you want to deal with, I'd go with November!

Love the Pro/Con list! Makes it so much easier to grasp everything. And I think you are right (along with many others on here) that since swimming is so important, we should probably plan on August. Thanks!

Thanks for your insight. I guess I should have phrased it differently. I realize there is no such thing as low crowds anymore (We are yearly Disneyland visitors), I was just wondering which of my dates would be better in regards to lower crowds (if at all). I guess it will come down to what weather we want to visit in. Heat doesn't bother us and we are use to rain (We live in Oregon), but I worry about the rides in the storms. In Disneyland, some rides shut down in the rain for safety reasons. Does this happen in WDW as well?

We live in Oregon and feel the same way about swimming! We went to Disneyland a few years back in November and were literally 1 of 5 families at the pool one day. We loved it! We are going back to DL this November and hoping it works out that way again!

You make a really good point about flight delays/cancellations. When we went to Disneyland in November a few years back and snowstorm was coming. Since we were driving we just left a day early and got out of Oregon before it hit. I would hate to have to deal with that when trying to fly to WDW. Thanks!

Love the Pro/Con list! Makes it so much easier to grasp everything. And I think you are right (along with many others on here) that since swimming is so important, we should probably plan on August. Thanks!

I haven't been to DL, so I can't draw a comparison on crowds. WDW is always crowded, however, I think they do a remarkable job in handling that crowd. I'm blown away with how they keep the operation running as smooth as they do with as many guests as they have. So don't let the fact that it's crowded worry you.

Yes, some rides shut down in bad weather. MK is probably the most effected park, but all will have attractions that are weather dependent.

As for flight delay possibilities, you can get that any time of year. Remember, August in Florida is getting into prime hurricane season. They don't hit central FL often, but it's a possibility.

Given the importance of swimming, I think August will give you the best options. Check out the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon, it's amazing!!!

Wife worked in a school for many years and prior to that the kids were in school so we were pretty much limited to Summer vacation and Thanksgiving/ Christmas. My opinion stems from that and a slight knowledge of Southern school schedules. What we observed (been going since 1989 the reason for the name) in over 35 trips is that August is hot but the closer to Labor Day you go the better. That is because in the South all the high schools start requiring students to attend practices and camps in August for Band, Cheerleading and Football. Never underestimate our love of Football and all activities surrounding it. So the North tends to start school after Labor Day while some Southern schools start as early as the first week of August. In Texas our State Education Board is the exception as the earliest we can start is the fourth Monday of August but we still have the camps and practices. On the other end of the spectrum we found going right after Memorial Day was great because the Northern Schools tended to still be in school since they started later. For years our High School held graduation the Friday of Memorial Day weekend but now have pushed it back a week. On a flier I would say August would be slightly less crowded than November. November can get the end of Food and Wine Festival and sometimes Jersey Week. (a week when Jersey is out for Teachers conferences and it seems like half the state goes to Florida). Later in November is okay but pushing against Thanksgiving. Based on your interests (swimming) I would pick August. Winter season means water parks (one at a time) shut for maintenence and there is a chance of a cool (not cold) streak. Lastley August at WDW is hot and many folks that can avoid it in favor of other times do.

Not an authority by any means but those have been our observations over the years (obviously somewhat dated)

We have a totally different outlook on things now since my wife retired and both my kids are out of college and married.

Based on these qualifiers, I would recommend late August.

We were there the week before Labor Day last year. Crowds were manageable. Not a ghost town, but manageable and I believe that is due to many schools already being back in session at that time. Regardless, late August crowds would still be far less than Thanksgiving week crowds.

If swimming is important, August has much better weather for that as mentioned. We've been twice in November before, both times the week before Thanksgiving, and both times the weather was questionable for swimming. We had temperatures in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s both trips so its too volatile to rely 100% on swimming that time of year, IMO. Plus, one of the water parks is usually closed for refurb during November.

The biggest negative of August for us was the rain. We are from upstate NY and not used to that level of heat and humidity, but found it bearable. The worst part was the frequent storms and the unpredictability of them. We couldn't leave the room without rain coats on hand, and we had to be flexible to change our plans on the fly when the rainstorms popped up. We missed Mine Train last year because of it, and we also got caught in a downpour back in Fantasyland and quickly learned that MK has poor drainage. We were soaked trying to get to the front of the park, and I don't think our sneakers ever fully dried out. This is the one con compared to November, which is statistically the "driest" month of the year. You're also past the peak of hurricane season in November, though I wouldn't let that be a determining factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter