• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to Go Back???

Erica Ladd

DIS Veteran
Honestly I’m not worried about virus stuff (I have my legit reasons) but we haven’t been since November 2019. I want to go before the end of ME (we stay onsite) but I’m sitting for as normal as possible to return (sorry, I wear them but I hate it). What do we think about May? Looking at current promo - never been in July - is it that busy/hot???? I’m patient but I’d like to go back...

I was there in Oct and Dec and had no issues. I will be going in May and Oct of this year as well. Normal is what you make it. There are some things that are not running at the moment, but WDW often has rides and attractions down for maintenance and upgrades in any given year. I would imagine that the new Ratatouille ride will be running by then and perhaps other things. I have heard that the Lion King show is coming back also.

Go whenever you like.
July is freaking hot, and the masks can be oppressive. We live in driving distance, so our deal is different.

January: have been twice this month, it was 85 degrees a couple weeks ago, and 40 degrees with a high of 60 last week
February: President's Day weekend aka Valentines. Weather can range from 50s to mid to high 70s.
March: School long weekend. Temps in the 60-80 range
April: Spring Break. Temps in the 60-80, potentially mid 80s.
May: About perfect. 60s to high 80s.
June: Hot. 70s to 90s. Pack an umbrella.
July: Melt. Mid 70s to 90s. RAIN. What were we thinking? Wet shoes do NOT smell good. Throw them away.
August: Dripping HOT MELT. Mid 70s to 90s. Where did the breeze go?? Crap, it's back to school... let's go any way.
September: 70-90. Kinda nice. School... ugh..need a break. Let's pop down! RAIN. RAIN. Sunny as you leave...
October: Perfect! 70-high 80s. Columbus day weekend. Halloween stuff. OMG. ANOTHER HURRICANE? But hey, no crowds!
November: 50-80. Kinda nice! Let's duck down for Thanksgiving. Holy moly, so did OHIO.
December: 50-75. Let's go to the water park! Hello, 40 degree morning!

Our last visit was December 2019 (so similar situation). We went for 2 weeks and the cruise. It is as if we knew. With that, I feel we can coast on that for a while. But frankly, I'm with you you on trying to decide. There is a big part of me that isn't even thinking about the safety aspect, rather thinking about if I want to experience Disney this way. My brother went and said it sure was different. I think we are going to hold off until January 2022.

Yes. I get tempted by the current offers but not sure I NEED to go back by July. And it’s not just the M word - we went to Universal for the first time in December 2020 and bought APs there. In fact we are going again next month. There’s just something special in my head about Disney after going for the first time in my life in 2018 then immediately going twice more in 2019. Part of me wants to keep it untainted and just wait - especially for APs. Our May 2020 trip was canceled and that was when we were going to upgrade. I guess I can wait a bit longer. But that will only last until they put out some fabulous can’t resist promo! (I’m not holding my breath!!)

Looking at current promo - never been in July - is it that busy/hot???? I’m patient but I’d like to go back...
Honestly if you are looking for a no mask vacation then you might be looking at closer to 2022. If you just have to go and are willing to go with the masks then certainly pick a cooler time of the year or at least when it is less humid. We went in November 2020 and although it was warm it wasn't humid so the masks were not a problem. It was the best trip that we have had. One bonus to the mask wearing is that coupled with park caps on attendance and no FP it made planning our days so much more relaxing. Masks and the current situation are not ideal but it has provided some perks when visiting the parks that we haven't been able to experience in the past.

I don't really expect things to be close to normal until 2022.
I will be surprised if most people receive their vaccine (if they want it) before fall at best. Masks most likely will still be around for a while after that.
I would pick the time you want to go and make the best of it.

If you want to hold out as long as possible but still be in the window before ME ends then your best bet is November/December - much better weather, certain weeks have lower crowds (if that's a consideration for you), and between now and then plenty could change. No one here has a crystal ball to tell you what will be "better" but even with the current limitations we've really loved our time on-property and had a blast :)

No one knows or can even honestly predict when WDW will be approaching Feb 2020 status. No one can safely "predict" or "guess" when WDW will eliminate masks. Unless there is data to support a "feeling" at best they are guesses.

Honestly I’m not worried about virus stuff (I have my legit reasons) but we haven’t been since November 2019. I want to go before the end of ME (we stay onsite) but I’m sitting for as normal as possible to return (sorry, I wear them but I hate it). What do we think about May? Looking at current promo - never been in July - is it that busy/hot???? I’m patient but I’d like to go back...
I think Disney will still require masks through the end of the year at this point, but if society views change, we could see this change sooner. My recommendation is just go (not during July, that is miserable) when you would otherwise be comfortable and find a good, high quality mask. I wish Disney would sell the style (different print would be fine) of masks they give the CMs, from what I have heard they are extremely breathable and comfortable. But no matter what, go with the expectation that you will have a great time no matter what comes and guess what, you will.

I'm not a fan of summer in Orlando, as I don't care for all the heat and humidity. This is just me and my family. In 2021 we are doing National Park trips rather than theme park trips, but I am very looking forward to going back and am planning to take my 84 year old dad to Orlando March of 2022 for Epcot Flower and Garden. Love, love, love the glorious Orlando weather in March -- March - mid May is by far my favorite time to hit central Florida.

Honestly when I've been down in May, we've had great luck with the weather and had such a great time. With COVID-19, there will still be masks and everything for most of 2021 I would think, but I think May would be a good time to go (and even better if you can get vaccinated prior to the trip).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter