• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to order mobile orders

Gussie Granger 1969

Mouseketeer
For our 5 day trip next week we were only able to get 1 dining reservation. Just 1! So we have to rely on counter service. Our last trip was great until we went to get some lunch. We didn’t use mobile order app, like fools we ordered at the register and waited over an hour to eat. We learn from our mistakes and plan on using mobile ordering this time. How soon do you order? As soon as you wake up that morning, do you wait until you enter the park? Can you order the night before? How soon can I order? Thanks!

Depends if you eat at "normal" times. if you are trying to eat lunch at noon during a busy day I would order ahead at least 1-2 hours. If you eat lunch at 2ish you can get away with a half hour. I've never felt the need to order ahead much more than that.

I believe you can start at 7AM. You do not need to be in the park.

For me personally, I just ordered when waiting in line for my first ride in the morning (for lunch). The thought of not having food when I need it is terrifying for me (especially if my wife starts getting hangry, lol). Hit the "I'm here" button as you are walking towards your restaurant. Don't get too crazy with hitting it early though. They can, and will, cancel your order after so long and still charge you the full amount.

We were there last week and used mobile ordering quite a bit for lunch. We never ordered more than about 15-30 minutes before we planned to eat. We had no problems being able to wait until then to order. I know awhile back people were saying you needed to order way ahead, but I don't know that is still the case - maybe only for really popular QS spots like Woody's Lunchbox

We always order 15 minutes before we want to eat, but I don't plan out much in the parks these days. We go with the flow.

I will say, don't count out TS. You can find reservations for nearly everything the night before, it seems. Last week, I had my choice of BOG, Chef Mickey, Topolino, and CRT for breakfast the night before. Check tonight beginning around 9pm and look at the openings that pop up for tomorrow. So if TS is important to you, just check the app periodically especially the day or two before.

(on Thanksgiving Day, we got a 6pm dinner at Beaches and Cream! So day of, popular spots open up on crowded days, too)

We were there in June and had a large party (9). We would get everyone's order on the bus on our way to the park. We are heading back in February but just four of us and we will probably still order while on transportation on our way in.

Go ahead and order first thing in the morning if you feel like it - it might not be necessary, but it can't hurt! Also, if you change your mind, you have the option to cancel your order, or to change it to a different time.

Go ahead and order first thing in the morning if you feel like it - it might not be necessary, but it can't hurt! Also, if you change your mind, you have the option to cancel your order, or to change it to a different time.
This!

Ordering commits you to nothing! You can edit or cancel the order, or change times. I sometimes order earlier but not infrequently will edit or cancel depending on how my day is going. I like to have the order in place. As I’m headed over I make any last minute changes and hit “I’m here”. Honestly it couldn’t be easier or more convenient.

As someone said, if you want TS, keep checking! Times open up as you get closer to the date since people always cancel.

Good luck and have fun!

I'm not a fan of using my phone every second while on vacation. Not to mention that it's older so the battery doesn't last long enough to be in the parks from morning til night using it constantly. So deciding we are hungry and wanting to hit a QS to get food is now taking a long time if we aren't using the mobile app? I actually have cash saved up specifically for our QS meals. Disney really seems to be making life more and more difficult for those of us that aren't in the "I must do everything in my life on my phone" generation. Am I going to "hangry" and frustrated with long lines to try and order QS the old fashioned way?

We always put our orders in about 9 while waiting in line some where. Our preferred dining time was near noon, so early mattered in ordering.

Am I going to "hangry" and frustrated with long lines to try and order QS the old fashioned way?
Yes. The majority of people are ordering mobile. Most QS places only have 1 register for people not mobile ordering. Our last trip, they seemed to be very slow compared to mobile order pick up.

I'm not a fan of using my phone every second while on vacation. Not to mention that it's older so the battery doesn't last long enough to be in the parks from morning til night using it constantly. So deciding we are hungry and wanting to hit a QS to get food is now taking a long time if we aren't using the mobile app? I actually have cash saved up specifically for our QS meals. Disney really seems to be making life more and more difficult for those of us that aren't in the "I must do everything in my life on my phone" generation. Am I going to "hangry" and frustrated with long lines to try and order QS the old fashioned way?

Totally get it, but one argument for mobile ordering is that you can dedicate 5 minutes or less to making the order on your phone, or you can dedicate significantly more minutes than that to standing in a long line at the register.

And you can easily use the cash you've been saving to buy a prepaid debit card that you use exclusively for mobile ordering. I admit it's harder to keep track of how much you've spent than just counting your remaining cash would be, but it's an option.

On looking for TS ADRs, choose a time instead of using "Now" or "Lunch" and you're more likely to see available times. Taking a mid day break at one of the resorts for lunch also gives you a lot of options. We used the skyliner and friendship boats a lot to move between Epcot, HS and the surrounding resorts for food and exploration.

Totally get it, but one argument for mobile ordering is that you can dedicate 5 minutes or less to making the order on your phone, or you can dedicate significantly more minutes than that to standing in a long line at the register.

And you can easily use the cash you've been saving to buy a prepaid debit card that you use exclusively for mobile ordering. I admit it's harder to keep track of how much you've spent than just counting your remaining cash would be, but it's an option.
I agree completely.

I for one think that mobile ordering will only expand. It is an enormous cost saver for Disney in terms of staffing. How many cash registers did you see in each QS in the past? Now multiply that by the number of QS restaurants at Disney. You, the customer, now generate the order... no need to pay all those CM's manning the registers.

I'm not trying to be cynical when I say I don't think Disney particularly cares whether there are people who don't have smart phones or don't wamt to use them that way. They will continue to offer in-person limited ordering at a single register as a "convenience" for those who require it. But it is profit first, service when it doesn't negatively impact the bottom line. This was actually the direction pre-Covid... I expect it to continue into the future. Anywhere they can garner a net savings, they will... and staffing will have key reductions where possible.

Ordering commits you to nothing! You can edit or cancel the order, or change times. I sometimes order earlier but not infrequently will edit or cancel depending on how my day is going. I like to have the order in place. As I’m headed over I make any last minute changes and hit “I’m here”. Honestly it couldn’t be easier or more convenient.
I have no idea what part of the park we will be in over lunch. Has anyone ordered at multiple restaurants at the same time and then canceled the ones they don't need?

I have no idea what part of the park we will be in over lunch. Has anyone ordered at multiple restaurants at the same time and then canceled the ones they don't need?

If you place an order and then find that you can't, or just don't want to, make it to the restaurant you chose at the time you chose, you are free to either cancel it or move the time. You won't be charged until you hit the "I'm here, prepare my food" button. You might want to make sure that there are other time slots available before you cancel but honestly that's rarely a problem, except at the busiest times and the busiest restaurants.

If you place an order and then find that you can't, or just don't want to, make it to the restaurant you chose at the time you chose, you are free to either cancel it or move the time. You won't be charged until you hit the "I'm here, prepare my food" button. You might want to make sure that there are other time slots available before you cancel but honestly that's rarely a problem, except at the busiest times and the busiest restaurants.
Thank you! Can you order from multiple restaurants at the same time, or is there a window like there is for ADRs?

Thank you! Can you order from multiple restaurants at the same time, or is there a window like there is for ADRs?

I've never tried this so I'm not sure. I'd guess that you could, but if you're just doing it to keep your options open, I think it might be more trouble than it's worth. A lot of menu reading and decision making when it's just not necessary, and you'd be taking spots that other people might need.

When we were there at Spring Break and the parks were pretty busy - we put our orders in on the way to the parks in the mornings, that way we could be sure to get a "prime" lunchtime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter