When to retire an SD?

TwitterMouse

Mouseketeer
I'm seriously considering retiring Pi. I want to cry even thinking about it. He'd obviously still be living with me (still sleeping in my bed, stealing the blankets and so on), and would come out on short outings. There are some issues that I'm considering, and that are making me consider his retirement.
1. He's 10. Doesn't sound too old, but it is catching up to him. He doesn't have the stamina he used to. He's asleep by 5pm, and can't stay on his feet all day anymore. I carry him half the time.
2. Crankiness. This is really what is concerning me. He's tired, cranky and stressed a lot. I know that isn't good for him. My biggest concern was that he showed agression towards people. He can't actually hurt anyone (he's toothless, poor baby), but it's very concerning to me anyway. He hasn't bit, or even really snarled (except at my friend, but that's not in a working situation) but he's done a low growl. The other person can't hear it, but I can feel it (when I'm holding him). Maybe I'm over-reacting, but it's my training that if a service dog shows human aggression that he's usually not suitable for the work.
It's practically killing me to be this honest with myself, because I love Pi dearly. But I'm concerned for him, and I don't know if I should be seriously considering his retirement or if I'm just scared and over-reacting.

It is best to retire him and get another dog. You would still have him while you were adjusting to the new dog. You also need to talk to his verterinarian as he may have an illness that is causing him to be easily agitated and fatigued. It is not normal for a dog, even an overworked service dog, to be so tired and agitated (growling).

Based on the information you've given here...

I agree that it is time for retirement. The demands placed on an assistance dog are great, and it sounds like it is simply becoming too much for Pi to handle comfortably. Listen to what he is telling you--he's feeling stressed & ready for retirement to the less demmanding life of 'companion dog' status. He has worked hard for you, and now he is the one who deserves a bit of pampering in his later years.

I also agree that a visit to his vet, for a general check-up and blood panels, is in order. Pi may have an underlying physical condition that requires attention.

I know it is going to be a major life change, for both you and Pi, to introduce a new assistance dog into the picture. That is going to involve a major adjustment in your relationship dynamics (as Pi steps aside, and transitions from full time work to companion status). But I think that you both will find that life will be better/easier, once you make the committment to do so.

No advice here really (though what you've got so far sounds sensible to me), just wanted to send you a big hug :hug:. Sorry you're having to make such a tough choice but, as you say, it's not like he'd be going anywhere, just living with you as a friend rather than a working partner.

Good luck to the pair of you.

He's been to the vet, and we actually had a blood panel done not long ago, and everything checked out fine. I brought him for a check up before our Disney trip.
And I think, once I talk it over with my therapist and parents, that I am going to retire Pi. I love him more than anything, but if I look at it like it was someone else's SD, not mine, I'd think it's time to stop working.
I also am scared that Pi will get depressed. I don't want him to get jealous or think he's getting replaced. I see it more of Pi will help train a new kid for his job, then retire and just work part-time if he feels like it. I don't know that Pi will see it that way.

Glad to hear that Pi's recent vet check did not turn up anything suspicious. It is always good to rule out any potential physical cause for certain behavioral changes... just to be on the safe side. :thumbsup2

I agree with you that the best way to help Pi adjust to the changes will be to gradually taper off his working--just having him work part time, in less stressful situations/environments. And it would also be good to allow him to assist with teaching the new assistance dog, perhaps by accompanying you both for a while and demonstrating your daily routines. Take it slow, and I am confident that Pi will do fine. This whole situation is likely going to be much more difficult for you, than for Pi.

Also, try to help Pi find a new 'job' to do--something he can enjoy. Make it fun and stress free, for both him and you. Just because he is retiring from full time work as an assistance dog, doesn't mean he need sit around doing nothing. Many dogs with a 'working' type temperament will enjoy simply being directed to perform basic obedience exercises. (I have a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, who loves to work so much that just putting him through his Rally-O paces is actually a 'reward' I use as reinforcement for other desirable behaviors.) If Pi enjoys fetching, then make it a point to play some games of directed fetch each day. It may help to think of this as just a 'change of job description' for Pi, more so than an actual retirement. The majority of dogs really are quite adaptable, and Pi just might surprise you.

Best wishes for an easy transition. :hug:

Are you getting a successor dog from one of the SD organizations? Consider the time also that it might take for them to find a match and a dog who knows the tasks you need help with. If you are training your own dog then it takes a lot of time there too and of course the ability to do the training. I'm glad Pi's checkup showed good health but any time a SD shows aggression, even if it's a younger dog, it's time for retirement. I agree with the above suggestions about easing him into retirement which will probably be harder on you than on Pi. Remember not to "feel sorry" for him vs. looking at this as a time in his life to enjoy his retirement just like we humans look forward to. It doesn't mean you don't love him.---Kathy

The wonderful thing about dogs is that they 'live in the moment'. They don't bear grudges or reminisce about the way things used to be; they just get on with things! As long as he is still getting all the love, care, and stimulation (both mental and physical) he needs, he should do just fine. Not that I'm saying he won't need retraining, or that it will be an easy adjustment for the pair of you, just that I'm sure he'll be fine with his 'new job', once he gets his teeth into it (so to speak).

Good luck to both of you! :thumbsup2

Yes, a dog who becomes aggressive should be retired. If he has been aggressive (not only making a frustrated sound), he should be retired immediately for the safety of the public and the good name of service dogs as well as your own safety (an aggressive dog doesn't focus on its work). I'm sure it is hard - I don't even want to think of it for my girl! But know that he has had a great many years of working at 10 and he's now an "old man" ready to settle into his "retirement golf community" (okay, make that tennis community - at least he could fetch balls there!). ;)

I'm glad he's checked out just fine at the vet. That's a relief!

This doesn't mean he can't do things for you around the house, though, just so long as he wants to and physically can do them. :)

Good luck on getting your next dog! Will you be going with a program dog, privately trained dog, or self-trained dog?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter