When was the last time you ate meat?

Probably about 15 years ago. I've been on heavy medication forever and it reacts violently with certain chemicals found in many meats, some fish, most cheeses, all alcohol and some other stuff too. I can't remember what at cheeseburger tastes like, nor do I care at this stage. I just get a File 'o' Fish at McDonalds.

There are a ton of vegetarian/vegan recipes I'd love to try but I know DH wouldn't appreciate them. Just yesterday I saw one for "Cabbage schnitzel" using a hefty chunk of cabbage instead of meat and it looked fabulous. Lots of "cauliflower steak" ones too. Have you made anything like these? Question for you: do you make gravy much? (The schnitzel thing had yummy-looking gravy-type sauce in the picture but no recipe.) Without meat, what do you use for the flavour base?

There are a ton of vegetarian/vegan recipes I'd love to try but I know DH wouldn't appreciate them. Just yesterday I saw one for "Cabbage schnitzel" using a hefty chunk of cabbage instead of meat and it looked fabulous. Lots of "cauliflower steak" ones too. Have you made anything like these? Question for you: do you make gravy much? (The schnitzel thing had yummy-looking gravy-type sauce in the picture but no recipe.) Without meat, what do you use for the flavour base?
I haven’t made the cabbage schnitzel but I’ve done cauliflower wings before which is a similar preparation. They’re not at all comparable to a real chicken wing but they’re good in their own right. I tend to use the mock meats if I’m trying to recreate something meaty.

I’m sure there are a bazillion vegan gravy recipes online for you to pick from, probably using ingredients like mushrooms, soy sauce, tamari, liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, or bouillon for the umami flavor that you would normally get from meat. The base I use for white gravy is just vegan butter, flour, and almond milk — I don’t think that one would have meat in it anyway. Or, going the lazy route and buying it premade is an option, too.

Sorry, I don’t have a favorite gravy recipe to offer or anything, I just make whatever recipe goes with whatever dish I’m making at the time. How they compare to a meat-based gravy? I don’t know, I’m just now realizing that I don’t think I’ve ever had “real” gravy. I didn’t add it to food when I was a kid and I’d eliminated meat from my diet by the time I was an adult.

I haven’t made the cabbage schnitzel but I’ve done cauliflower wings before which is a similar preparation. They’re not at all comparable to a real chicken wing but they’re good in their own right. I tend to use the mock meats if I’m trying to recreate something meaty.

I’m sure there are a bazillion vegan gravy recipes online for you to pick from, probably using ingredients like mushrooms, soy sauce, tamari, liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, or bouillon for the umami flavor that you would normally get from meat. The base I use for white gravy is just vegan butter, flour, and almond milk — I don’t think that one would have meat in it anyway. Or, going the lazy route and buying it premade is an option, too.

Sorry, I don’t have a favorite gravy recipe to offer or anything, I just make whatever recipe goes with whatever dish I’m making at the time. How they compare to a meat-based gravy? I don’t know, I’m just now realizing that I don’t think I’ve ever had “real” gravy. I didn’t add it to food when I was a kid and I’d eliminated meat from my diet by the time I was an adult.
I would never expect cabbage or cauliflower to simulate meat, just be interesting and different ways to prepare vegetables. I remember you mentioning a while ago on a different thread that the whole "plant-based meat" thing didn't interest you because you were trying to fake a meat experience, but instead just because the products presented more options for new and interesting dishes for meat-free eaters. That really struck me and I felt a little silly for not having considered it before. :flower3:

And as for "white gravy", if what you're talking about is that gluey abomination that bizarrely gets put on biscuits and called breakfast, well, only "y'all" eat that mess - vegan or not. ;)

I would never expect cabbage or cauliflower to simulate meat, just be interesting and different ways to prepare vegetables. I remember you mentioning a while ago on a different thread that the whole "plant-based meat" thing didn't interest you because you were trying to fake a meat experience, but instead just because the products presented more options for new and interesting dishes for meat-free eaters. That really struck me and I felt a little silly for not having considered it before. :flower3:

And as for "white gravy", if what you're talking about is that gluey abomination that bizarrely gets put on biscuits and called breakfast, well, only "y'all" eat that mess - vegan or not. ;)
Hey, I’m a southerner now, remember? That gluey abomination is my culture. How dare you. ;)

Somewhere between Sept 8-13.

We stopped eating meat over the summer, but did share a few small items on our Disney trip in September that we had been looking forward to— wings at the Polynesian and thigh high chicken biscuits at Homecomin’ are the two items I can remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter