When was the last time you had to make a house insurance claim?

have you seen those leak alarms they have? i saw one recently on a home improvement show and mentioned it to a plumber we had out doing some work for us-he said he had done a few repairs on homes that had them and the minimization of water damage was phenomenal. i honestly believe these types of devices along with the whole house surge protectors should qualify homeowners for some kind of insurance discount.
Yes - That’s one of the lessons learned for me. We had a water heater issues a few years back, nothing major, but at the time I thought it would be really good to get a sensor with an automatic cutoff valve installed. It’s an older home, so it turned out to be a little more difficult, and we didn’t do that.

Now we have 7 sensors - one at each likely area for a leak. Someone would have to be home to fix the issue, but at least we’ll know sooner rather than later.

Almost 3 years ago my upstairs neighbor was careless with his cigarette and what he had on his balcony.
Oddly enough this week: Said insurance emails me and says we still owe you 30$ lol ok it’s been almost 3 years but ok.
Also tomorrow the apartment complex (I moved to a different apartment but same place) is installing a fire Avert thing on the stoves.

Last edited:

Probably about 20 years ago, I owned the house my Mama lived in and a storm knocked a tree through the fence and into the driveway of the apts. behind.

Hubby should have done one a few weeks ago but for some reason he refused. Our fridge had a tiny pin leak in the water line we didn't know about. It was shooting at the wall, there is a small gap between the wall and floor. It ran down that wall and into the ceiling below in the basement. No telling how long it was going on until I was down there working and heard water dripping from the next room. Found the ceiling collapsed and water dripping on to the carpet. Plumbers came out and couldn't find any burst pipes, for some reason I had hubby pull out the fridge and there was the culprit. We got out the carpet cleaner and soaked up the water, cleaned up the ceiling from the floor and then put the dehumidifier and a fan blowing on the carpet. At least half the kitchen subfloor had been wet thus cracking the tiles in the kitchen. The plumbers told us they saw mildew on the bottom of the subfloor. At the same time, the drain pan in the shower in the master bathroom had come loose and was dripping into a closet in the basement. There is no ceiling in the closet and just concrete floors but we had all our scuba geared stored in there. Had to throw away probably a huge suitcase full because it was mildewed. For some reason hubby would not file insurance. Our neighbor is a contractor who flips houses. He came over and looked and said there was no mildew on the subfloor and it was not damaged. So hubby just plans on replacing the ceiling in the basement. I'm not happy because insurance would have paid to replace the entire kitchen floor, the ceiling in the basement, maybe the carpet in the basement and paid for some of the gear we had to throw away. Now I have an extremely cracked kitchen floor that I guess is not getting fixed. I don't know why he wouldn't file insurance since any money would have been better than none. I told if he wasn't going to use the insurance he should just get the cheapest policy he could with the highest deducible since it was silly to pay for something you aren't going to use.
My sister had almost the same thing happen. Insurance claim denied because it was a slow event, not a sudden burst of water--cost her $20,000! They didn't realize there was leaking because the water turned up in the room behind the fridge, and they barely use that one.

Edit--We haven't ever had a claim, knock on wood. I've owned my house for 9 years.

Last edited:
1 year ago, roof claim hail storm, also put minor dents in our car, got to see first hand some of the predatory roofing companies

Yep, the plumbers were telling us they worked on one at an apartment where it leaked down into two other apartments busting out the ceilings.
I had a friend with a cat who liked to sleep in the bathroom sink. They were away one weekend, and got an emergency call from the landlord on their second day away. Apparently the cat must’ve pushed down the stopper, and nudged one of the taps at night. Eventually the water overflowed the sink, dripping down from their apartment, down the walls into the two floors below.

That was their last month in that building. 😢

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter