When will the contract extension expire for Disney Employees?

You should organize one. Easier said than done though.
We are currently trying to take it up with our human resource department about being fed up. They listened and held a meeting with us telling us we are next for a market increase. We are giving it a few more weeks and then asking for another meeting.

Are we sure about this. I thought there was a step increase for time on the job under the existing contract.

I'm local and know A LOT of cast members. I'm sure about it. Someone who works in merchandise or attractions, for example, for 20 years, is getting the same pay as someone hired right off the streets. $15/hr. There are no annual pay increases.

Adding too, as a local, that Disney has lost cast members to other employers such as Starbucks, Joffrey's simply because of pay. People come to Disney and pay thousands of dollars and expect magic, when the reality is that Disney is paying the same as the local Portillo's, and no one is expecting a magical experience at Starbucks or Portillo's. So some can discuss whether it's Disney's job to concern themselves about cost of living, etc. In the end, no, it's not. They can continue to charge whatever they want and people will continue paying for it. And they'll continue having cast members who could find a better job at McDonald's and then people will be upset that they're getting a less than magical experience. In the end it hurts Disney to not pay well.

I just looked at the actual union contract and under Addendum A it sure looks like there is an annual increase.
Please read more carefully. Addendum A is listing the pay increases during the last contract beginning in September 2017 with the final increase on October 3, 2021. That is simply a scale explaining when and how they would go from $10-$15 an hour as well as increases for those who already made more than the minimum.

You can ask ANY cast member and they will tell you that there are no annual increases for time of service. Walk into the parks and you'll find someone on the register who has been there for 20 years and makes the same as the person standing next to them with the "earning my ears" ribbon. They both make $15/hr.

I'm local and know A LOT of cast members. I'm sure about it. Someone who works in merchandise or attractions, for example, for 20 years, is getting the same pay as someone hired right off the streets. $15/hr. There are no annual pay increases.

Adding too, as a local, that Disney has lost cast members to other employers such as Starbucks, Joffrey's simply because of pay. People come to Disney and pay thousands of dollars and expect magic, when the reality is that Disney is paying the same as the local Portillo's, and no one is expecting a magical experience at Starbucks or Portillo's. So some can discuss whether it's Disney's job to concern themselves about cost of living, etc. In the end, no, it's not. They can continue to charge whatever they want and people will continue paying for it. And they'll continue having cast members who could find a better job at McDonald's and then people will be upset that they're getting a less than magical experience. In the end it hurts Disney to not pay well.
Wow. Never realized they aren’t getting an increase. That’s terrible. They should Atleast be getting a 3% raise each year since cost of living increases on average 3% each year.

You can ask ANY cast member and they will tell you that there are no annual increases for time of service.
Rather than ask a CM, let's just look at the actual contract. If somebody started at the bottom of the scale in 2017, they would have gotten annual increases each year because the scale increases every year.

But as to the question of CM's not getting an increase just because they've been there longer (longevity) that's pretty unusual. I'm surprised the union membership hasn't pushed for that.

Wow. Never realized they aren’t getting an increase. That’s terrible. They should Atleast be getting a 3% raise each year since cost of living increases on average 3% each year.
They got around a 10% annual raise under the last contract.

Rather than ask a CM, let's just look at the actual contract. If somebody started at the bottom of the scale in 2017, they would have gotten annual increases each year because the scale increases every year.

But as to the question of CM's not getting an increase just because they've been there longer (longevity) that's pretty unusual. I'm surprised the union membership hasn't pushed for that.
No. That is not an annual increase. That is a union contract. That is a timeline for the raise. Instead of raising it from $10-15 all at once, the union had to negotiate with Disney about when the increases would take place. Just like right now, both the company and the union have agreed to take it to $20/hr. But the difference is the timeline. So they have to go back to negotiate a timeline because the union members voted no at Disney's suggestion to make it take 5 years.
That's not the same as an annual increase. In 2017 all of those merchandise CMs (I keep using merchandise because the union contract you are linking is the union for merchandise... there are multiple unions) were making $10/hr and the union contract raised them to $15. Not an annual increase or Disney saying yes. But a union contract that also involved Disney taking away things... again, because that's how unions work, it's all give and take. So when they negotiate a new union contract, those details will also be outlined. And everyone, regardless of time worked at Disney, will move in pay together.

It's definitely neither of those two things. Americans don't accurately tax those who can afford it the most, which has magnified a massive income disparity inequality.
It’s definitely more those things than a problem with our tax system.

It’s definitely more those things than a problem with our tax system.
"According to a 2021 White House study, the wealthiest 400 billionaire families in the US paid an average federal individual tax rate of just 8.2 percent. For comparison, the average American taxpayer in the same year paid 13 percent."

"According to a 2021 White House study, the wealthiest 400 billionaire families in the US paid an average federal individual tax rate of just 8.2 percent. For comparison, the average American taxpayer in the same year paid 13 percent."
The income tax is based on income, not wealth.

Right, so "Americans don't accurately tax those who can afford it the most."
This is why there is a movement for minimal flat income tax rates or elimination of income tax altogether and implementing consumption taxes. This post is not advocacy, I'm just explaining the policy for some folks who want to abolish the current federal income tax code and substantially overhaul it with a different type of taxation. By doing so would allow families that park money into trusts or off-shore accounts to avoid income taxation can be taxed when they purchase goods and services.

Frankly, I would be shocked if the federal government ever substantially overhauled the tax code and replaced it. It appears that elected officials have to make the same arguments against the other party about taxation loopholes and avoidance that those same elected officials voted for year after year, decade after decade. At least, they get their campaign contributions though, right.

Similarly speaking, fundamentally changing the federal tax code would be like the federal government fundamentally changing the social security system. Anyone suggesting to make substantive structural changes to a completely broken and antiquated system of welfare will be viewed like Lady Tremaine.

I just heard that 8.2% recently on CNBC and it is not just based on income, it is based on unrealized gains also (gains that can disappear as easily as they appeared). It gives a very distorted view...as expected by our esteemed elected officials. If we start basing income taxes on unrealized gains, it can only lead to a gigantic mess.

ETA: if I remember correctly, the billionaire tax rate was well over a 20% tax rate when only including actual income only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter