• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When will WDW and DL/CA shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My workplace is having a nation-wide telecommuting day on Friday. It's not mandatory, but all employees are "strongly encouraged" to work from home on Friday to test out the vpn and internet capabilities and do a stress test on the remote-work infrastructure.

This is well over 100,000 people. We got the email yesterday afternoon and it definitely made everyone take this a little more seriously.

Our current plan is to have employees work from home. ISP bandwidth is the big unknown. We assume they can handle it, but we don’t really know.

We do expect the virus to impact our business. We just don’t know the magnitude yet.

My husband and I had a trip planned fro March 1-14 but unfortunately five days before had to cancel because my Mom had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital. We have been to visit her every day in the Cardiac Care Unit since February 24th. Yesterday when we arrived all the patients in the unit had their isolation doors closed and we were not allowed in. The hospital advised everyone who had been there to go home and self-isolate for 24 hours, in an abundance of caution they were testing all the high risk patients. There is no reason to panic, most healthy people do just fine. But it is no joke and should be taken very seriously.

If you're comfortable sharing, in what region do you live? (the answer clearly doesn't change the "no joke" statement - it's just interesting to see how different regions are handling things.)

Also, I hope your mom is well on the way to a healthy recovery!

If you're comfortable sharing, in what region do you live? (the answer clearly doesn't change the "no joke" statement - it's just interesting to see how different regions are handling things.)

Also, I hope your mom is well on the way to a healthy recovery!
We are in New York City

My husband and I had a trip planned fro March 1-14 but unfortunately five days before had to cancel because my Mom had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital. We have been to visit her every day in the Cardiac Care Unit since February 24th. Yesterday when we arrived all the patients in the unit had their isolation doors closed and we were not allowed in. The hospital advised everyone who had been there to go home and self-isolate for 24 hours, in an abundance of caution they were testing all the high risk patients. There is no reason to panic, most healthy people do just fine. But it is no joke and should be taken very seriously.

Is she at the same hospital the affected patients are at? And why would visitors self isolate for 24 hours? Apparently the virus can incubate for up to 14 days, so what is the logic in 24 hour isolation? Trying to understand the thought process. And why this particular unit is being quarantine.

Google Event 201. Coincidence or suspicious? Hmmm. Also Israel has reported that they are close to a vaccine. Hoping they can make it happen soon!!

My workplace is having a nation-wide telecommuting day on Friday. It's not mandatory, but all employees are "strongly encouraged" to work from home on Friday to test out the vpn and internet capabilities and do a stress test on the remote-work infrastructure.

This is well over 100,000 people. We got the email yesterday afternoon and it definitely made everyone take this a little more seriously.
My company has announced that they will continue to pay employees and not force ppl to use PTO if they are diagnosed with COVID-19 or if they are forced to quarantine. I think this is a terrific strategy to limit spread. I will say that many of the employees already work as telecommuters (including me), but still--very smart. And I do work for a major Fortune 50 company.

My company has announced that they will continue to pay employees and not force ppl to use PTO if they are diagnosed with COVID-19 or if they are forced to quarantine. I think this is a terrific strategy to limit spread. I will say that many of the employees already work as telecommuters (including me), but still--very smart. And I do work for a major Fortune 50 company.

My boss told us if we are sick/quarantine we have to use sick time - even though we already work from home one day a week!

And we work in healthcare!

My boss told us if we are sick/quarantine we have to use sick time - even though we already work from home one day a week!

And we work in healthcare!
I also work in healthcare. I have to say I was SUPER surprised when we got the info. In fact, it scared me more than much of what i had read/seen thus far, b/c if a major corporation is saying, yeah, just stay home and we won't force you to use sick time AND we will still pay you, THAT is an extreme measure in my book.

I also work in healthcare. I have to say I was SUPER surprised when we got the info. In fact, it scared me more than much of what i had read/seen thus far, b/c if a major corporation is saying, yeah, just stay home and we won't force you to use sick time AND we will still pay you, THAT is an extreme measure in my book.

So far the PR has been to calm everyone down. The science, however, isn’t very calming.

NYC has never cleaned a subway car. Mayor deblasio with a hazmat suit on every time he leaves city hall. What the heck
Sure they have but it's done very haphazardly. Dirty mops and dirtier water. I remember when they cleaned the Columbus Circle IND station and the place was so much brighter after they cleaned off the dust encrusted light bulbs.

So far the PR has been to calm everyone down. The science, however, isn’t very calming.

This is what had my radar pinging all along. You don’t take such incredibly Herculean steps to stop a normal, nothing to see here, flu. Governments, without fail have shown through their actions that they are very worried and even willing to risk economic downturns to respond to this. That coupled with what I’m hearing from family members that work in hospitals always seemed to point to a serious situation.

Another fact that often doesn’t get considered when talking about how it really “only“ affects older people is to look at the age of many of the doctors in the States. 20% are in their 60s and a little more than 10% are in their 70s. These people are on the front line AND at the most danger from it age wise. My father in law is practicing at 78, and his hospital almost never has a free bed even during good days. He has privately expressed a lot of concern for how they will an influx of people, especially if medical staff continue to be at a greater risk. Look at WA and CA. CA had to quarantine 100 members of medical staff and WA had 2 dozen emergency responders out of action now. What happens to staff levels when these people aren’t at work....again some of the less PR things that have local, state, and national governments scared.

Is she at the same hospital the affected patients are at? And why would visitors self isolate for 24 hours? Apparently the virus can incubate for up to 14 days, so what is the logic in 24 hour isolation? Trying to understand the thought process. And why this particular unit is being quarantine.

The hospital she is at and the hospital where the first case was reported are affiliated and doctors, nurses, staff as well as ambulances transporting patients travel between the two. I am assuming it is protocal to lock down high risk patients and test them to eliminate risk, our 24 hour self-quarantine is until the test results come back, if they are positive I am sure it will be mandatory and much longer.

This is what had my radar pinging all along. You don’t take such incredibly Herculean steps to stop a normal, nothing to see here, flu. Governments, without fail have shown through their actions that they are very worried and even willing to risk economic downturns to respond to this. That coupled with what I’m hearing from family members that work in hospitals always seemed to point to a serious situation.

Another fact that often doesn’t get considered when talking about how it really “only“ affects older people is to look at the age of many of the doctors in the States. 20% are in their 60s and a little more than 10% are in their 70s. These people are on the front line AND at the most danger from it age wise. My father in law is practicing at 78, and his hospital almost never has a free bed even during good days. He has privately expressed a lot of concern for how they will an influx of people, especially if medical staff continue to be at a greater risk. Look at WA and CA. CA had to quarantine 100 members of medical staff and WA had 2 dozen emergency responders out of action now. What happens to staff levels when these people aren’t at work....again some of the less PR things that have local, state, and national governments scared.

The Fed cut rates by 50bps between meetings. That’s not normal.

Social Distancing is exactly why I predict WDW and DL will close down if not forced. Anyone who believes they cannot be forced to shut down is horribly mistaken.

It just makes sense to do so.

What modeling is this? What's your source? Clickbait youtube videos? If they close down WDW and DL, then all sporting events must be cancelled, every store where the general public shops must close. This is fear mongering on a whole 'nother level and Im surprised it's allowed to continue.
I guess it's from this article? They left out the "Doctors say that's not credible, and here's why" part of the headline though...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnko...hats-not-credible-and-heres-why/#540cef0711cd

These are all excellent questions and part of what is troubling about the situation. There just seems to be a complete lack of consistency. I understand not everything will be exactly the same, but some of these things just seem random.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter