• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When would you go in 2020?

This might be helpful. It was very accurate for my 2017 trip.

https://**************.net/2019/01/26/2020-weeks-to-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-in-order/

We are planning around the Food and Wine fest...we've never gone at the beginning, usually in the middle. Have you all gone in the beginning? that's why we were looking last week of August first week of September. Last time we went it was last week of September, first week of October..missed the Hurricane by three days!

I have done TONS of research on "best" times to visit WDW.
Lowest crowds of the year are in September, but it is super duper hot and humid. That said, 3 of our 4 trips have been in September and we're going again this September because we love the crowd level. We did go 2nd week of November once, and weather was amazing! Quite a bit busier, but still easily doable. Too cool in the mornings/evenings for the pool, though.
I am also seriously considering a visit late April/early May for next year.

I have done TONS of research on "best" times to visit WDW.
Lowest crowds of the year are in September, but it is super duper hot and humid. That said, 3 of our 4 trips have been in September and we're going again this September because we love the crowd level. We did go 2nd week of November once, and weather was amazing! Quite a bit busier, but still easily doable. Too cool in the mornings/evenings for the pool, though.
I am also seriously considering a visit late April/early May for next year.

We've been the last week of May, first week of June..tough time. I loved December weather and you can work around the crowds but not doable any more for me. Looks like first and second week of September for us.

Time of year: Too many unknown factors to be able to assist. Winter-are you flying vs driving and where from? Snow and ice can ruin a trip either way. You also have hurricane season. Summers are extra hot and humid-older folks don't care for park touring when the heat index is 105. Lower crowds mean shorter park hours also. We love October, but it has gotten insanely busy over the years. We went this past Jan and it was chilly.

Affordabilty: Ticket prices are different based on season. Are you staying onsite or off? A resort at $125 a night may be $500 a night on different dates.

Fastpasses: Coaster vs non-group the 2-3 who want to together and find an activity for the others to do while group 1 is on a coaster. We do this all the time with our son-while he Fastpasses Space Mountain, we hang out on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Try to get some fastpasses for everyone, then hit the park at rope drop to ride what you couldn't get.

I have heard that early-mid September can be a good time because most people don't want to pull their kids from school during those first few weeks of school. We are going towards the end of January. We went at that same time in 2018 and it was enjoyable. Were there crowds? Sure. Were they unmanageable? No.

Like others have said, Disney doesn't really have a "slow season" anymore but they certain do have busy times which I would never even consider going during like Spring Break or during Christmas.

What time works best for you? That is really the question you need to answer first. The rest will fall into place.
We are very flexible with timing. I would love to see the Christmas decor, but don't want to go if it will be too busy. I would also like to see the flower and garden festival. I'm very open to going anytime that's not busy:)

You first have to narrow it down based on when everyone can travel - will there be kids who can't miss school? Do some work and can only take time off at certain times of the year? Start there. If i were looking at the perfect weather time of the year I would choose April. Warm which you can go in the pool but not yet the rainy humid and hot weather of the summer.

Picked based on crowd level is useless now -I'll give you an example- We went in April 2018 (was not near easter) it was busy (crowds of 5-7 based on touring plans) but we managed to not wait very long for any rides with the use of FP and RD. We then chose to go the week after Thanksgiving 2018 for a short 5 day trip - crowds were predicted to be between 1-3 -- we figured great we will get to experience the park with lighter crowds. But what we experienced was that the parks and wait times felt just like when we went in April.

What you can do is gather the availabily from everyone traveling, then look to see when you can avoid any holidays and school breaks (the March-mid April spring breaks are busy) So If i could pick any time of the year to go i would choose the very end of April-first week of May. By this point all school spring vacations will be over, school is still in session for those who might get out in May and the weather should be perfect.

But as others have said -- take the pressure off and try not to look at it as planning the "perfect" trip-- things will not go as planned whether it be a ride going down, someone getting sick, wait times longer than you expected - etc -- crap will happen out of your control. What you do want to plan is a trip where you have a good balance of park time, seeing shows, getting on some of your favorite rides, but also included some down time. If you are in fact traveling with a larger group don't feel bad about allowing free time for each family unit to go about a park like they want to, but then join back up for dinner somewhere. If others are computer savy - then make then responsible for getting FP for their own family.

I am the family planner and there is a lot of pressure on me to make things go well. After you pick your time frame then come back to the boards and get some more tips and tricks for an enjoyable trip.

Thanks for the good advice! I am slightly worried that I'm going to stress myself trying to plan this trip. I never thought to consider weather too. With some older ones going, the heat and humidity will be a big factor.

These days the best predictor of crowds is one day ticket prices. Lower prices mean fewer people. Though, it's all relative. I agree with others -- avoid holidays and just plan to go when it works best for you.

Thanks! I will check on ticket prices! Appreciate the help.

I am slightly worried that I'm going to stress myself trying to plan this trip.
I did stress myself out planning an extended family trip, so then i took a step back and realized there needs to be some relaxation during this trip and we didn't have to do everything. At that point I was able to relax a little bit - I did talk to family about their wants. From there i did prioritize and made a list of must dos, stuff we would like to do an what we would do if there was time. It really helped to decrease the stress. If you don't have it get a touring plans subscription. It isn't an exact science, but is helpful with planning your day, creating a good flow for your park touring and figuring out how long it would take to get from point A to point B.

When? Whenever you can go. For real. I've been fall break, summer, break, and spring break. We go when our work schedules and school schedule allow. What is more important than WHEN is making sure you prepare and plan accordingly, even if the only plan you have is go with the flow. Don't get caught up in expectations.

Time of year: Too many unknown factors to be able to assist. Winter-are you flying vs driving and where from? Snow and ice can ruin a trip either way. You also have hurricane season. Summers are extra hot and humid-older folks don't care for park touring when the heat index is 105. Lower crowds mean shorter park hours also. We love October, but it has gotten insanely busy over the years. We went this past Jan and it was chilly.

Affordabilty: Ticket prices are different based on season. Are you staying onsite or off? A resort at $125 a night may be $500 a night on different dates.

Fastpasses: Coaster vs non-group the 2-3 who want to together and find an activity for the others to do while group 1 is on a coaster. We do this all the time with our son-while he Fastpasses Space Mountain, we hang out on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Try to get some fastpasses for everyone, then hit the park at rope drop to ride what you couldn't get.

We are flying from Nebraska. We are used to humidity, but I would like to avoid it on vacation. But I also don't want it to be chilly. A nice 70 degrees would be perfect. ha ha. My immediate family has been three times in October and loved it! Would like to see the parks during a different holiday though.
We plan on staying on-site so it's more flexible with everyone's personality. I know some people will be there open to close and others will like to go back early.
We also get to take advantage of military discounts for up to three rooms (I believe) so that will help with on-site room rates.
Thanks for the tip about fast passes. I will have to figure out attractions close to coasters so everyone has something fun to do:)

I am trying to plan the perfect trip for my extended family (five of them have never been to WDW) and I know their experience will be based on crowd levels. We are a family that doesn't have much patience. lol. So... which week in 2020 would you recommend if you were only basing your decision on crowd levels?

Any general advice for booking fast passes with large groups? Especially when half don't like rollercoasters:)

Thanks for all your help!

We never expect a perfect trip but our rule is we agree before going that we are going to keep a positive attitude not matter what happens.

It is all about attitude and it works well for us to just be positive whether we are dealing with crowds, heat, tired kids, rude people, resort problems, etc etc.

Pick your dates and go have a great time. It is Disney and life is good if you are there.

We are flying from Nebraska. We are used to humidity, but I would like to avoid it on vacation. But I also don't want it to be chilly. A nice 70 degrees would be perfect. ha ha. My immediate family has been three times in October and loved it! Would like to see the parks during a different holiday though.
We plan on staying on-site so it's more flexible with everyone's personality. I know some people will be there open to close and others will like to go back early.
We also get to take advantage of military discounts for up to three rooms (I believe) so that will help with on-site room rates.
Thanks for the tip about fast passes. I will have to figure out attractions close to coasters so everyone has something fun to do:)

Welcome to the boards!!

We are also a military family too. Take advantage of the discounted tickets and room rates, they do help with the cost.

We are from Iowa, so we are used to humidity..........but Florida Aug/sept humidity is like nothing we feel here. So hot, I got mild heat stroke and it took me out for a day and a half.

My best trip for weather was the 1st week of May. There is no holidays, run disney events or anything else big going on. The weather was perfect for us. Cool in AM, nice and warm in the afternoon for a swim and then cooler at night.

That year we went with Grandparents, my sister and her family and my family, kids around 8 and 10. It can be a great trip with all the family going together. A lot of patience and some alone time helped us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter