When Would You Go?

Happy New Year! Trying to figure out when to visit the world next. I'm currently an AP but it expires March 10, and I really don't think I should renew it (I'm a broke college student who lives in NJ so financially it makes no sense to renew it.) I'm trying to limit myself to only one trip this year, as I'd rather save the money to go even more times during the 50th anniversary. ANYWAY, I'm torn with when would be the best time to go:
  • Sometime in February- I've never been to Festival of the Arts, and it'll be cheaper since I'll have my pass. However, I can't find any on-property rooms, and I'd rather not have to rent a car. Also, if I go so early in the year I'll just want to go back later on since I'm basically an addict LOL
  • Early May- Low crowds and Flower & Garden. I've been to f&g twice last year, and it wasn't my favorite, but I also feel like I didn't experience as much of it as I should. Also love that the crowds are soooo light.
  • End of August- One of my favorite times to go; low crowds, Halloween decor, perfect way to end the summer. However, it's HOT, I've been this time a million times before, and there's nothing really going on besides the Halloween party.
  • October- I'd get to go to Food & Wine again (my favorite festival!!!) and I could do a Halloween party. Only downside is I've already experienced this.
  • Late November/Early December- There's MVMCP and Festival of the Holidays, both of which I've never done. I just don't know if I have it in me to wait basically a whole year...
What would you guys do? My dates are SUPER flexible, I can go basically whenever. Only thing is I don't do well in crowds so I want to avoid spring break and the early summer crowds.

May! But weather is always an issue for me. May is warm but not oppressive and evenings are delightful. Lower crowds are just frosting on the cake!

Do February! I'm seeing rooms for $84/night at the All Stars at the beginning of the month, for example.

February is a great time to go (went last year)
This if you can still find rooms. Check some of the discount websites (undercover tourist is the one I tend to use). Also you can see if there's any availability at the Disney Springs hotels. They should have transportation & get EMH and 60day FP+ for the rest of 2020

Otherwise if you have it in you, I enjoy early December. Crowds were manageable. Finally did the MVMCP and loved it despite it being a sold out night when I attended. MK was definitely crowded on those non-party days. I did Early Morning Magic & MVMCP on the same day. It was tiring but worth it.

We're making some notes for our next planned trip in 2021. This December that just left us yesterday, I noted that via the Experience app and ride times, that December 9-13 was very decent. We had just been November 11-18 and it was quite busy (to us). We would have welcomed the wait times I saw for 12/9-12/13.

We are thinking May ourselves too. My wife and our 1 year old, at the time, went just after Mother's Day 2009 and in the photos we are sweaty, but I see loads of flowers and blue skies. From my wife's vantage point in photos, my shirts are perpetually wet around the shoulders and down... i.e. back sweat. The crowds in the photos are virtually non existent. I have one photo of my wife and daughter with stroller on Main Street and I don't even see another guest!

Late nov/early December. It’s our favorite time of year to go. And if you hit the sweet spot between the Thanksgiving guests leaving and before Christmas guests arrive, the crowds are great. If you’ve never seen WDW at Christmas you need to! Our last trip was October 2019 and our next isn’t till December 1, 2020 so I understand the wait lol, but the planning process is part of the fun for me. Plus you have time to save up for extras like MVMCP.

We have been to WDW in January, February, April, May, August, October and December. We all decided December was our favorite due to the better temperatures and Christmas decor and activities. We went Dec 11-18 and felt the crowds were great (except on non-party days at MK!). My 15 year old son actually told me - Mom, we don’t ever need to come to Disney anymore except for December- this was amazing.

These are some of our favorite times to travel.

Here's how I rank those...

1. Late November/Early December- Nothing beats Christmas in the parks to me. And as long as you stay away from the holiday weeks its an amazing time to travel. It may be too cool to swim on some trips but the cooler days makes up for that to me.
2. October- Halloween and F&W. The second best time to attend(we actually prefer the end of Sept. but basically the same thing). Good weather, decent rates, and lower crowds.
3. Sometime in February- Another great time to travel to the parks as long as you stay away from Presidents day week. Its can be one of the worst of the entire year rivaling spring break crowds.
4. May -We love the Flower and Garden Festival, and crowds are great in May but it starts to get really Hot.
5. End of August- MNSSHP and lower crowds as kids start to return to school, but its HOT HOT HOT!!!!

You can check other sites that might have better deals on disney hotels. Maybe do a good neighbor hotel. I would go w/ Feb. because tickets are pricey!

• Sometime in February- I've never been to Festival of the Arts, and it'll be cheaper since I'll have my pass. However, I can't find any on-property rooms, and I'd rather not have to rent a car. Also, if I go so early in the year I'll just want to go back later on since I'm basically an addict LOL February is very nice and a great “escape” for those of us who live in colder climates. I’d personally avoid the mid-month Presidents Day holiday and weekend surrounding it. I agree though - it is early in the year and you’ll want to return again later. ;)
  • Early May- Low crowds and Flower & Garden. I've been to f&g twice last year, and it wasn't my favorite, but I also feel like I didn't experience as much of it as I should. Also love that the crowds are soooo light. We love May - crowds relatively light. Weather can be delightful or quite humid.
  • End of August- One of my favorite times to go; low crowds, Halloween decor, perfect way to end the summer. However, it's HOT, I've been this time a million times before, and there's nothing really going on besides the Halloween party. Crowds are low, but the weather can be quite unbearable. We do it often due to school and sports schedules, but I prefer more temperate weather.
  • October- I'd get to go to Food & Wine again (my favorite festival!!!) and I could do a Halloween party. Only downside is I've already experienced this. We missed a scheduled October trip last year due to a family emergency. We’re looking forward to visiting at this time at some point. Lots going on!
  • Late November/Early December- There's MVMCP and Festival of the Holidays, both of which I've never done. I just don't know if I have it in me to wait basically a whole year... Great time to visit and there are no downsides IMHO. But waiting a year to go to Disney?......:sad:
I think I would choose May because it’s almost the mid-point of the year, relatively uncrowded with at least a chance of good weather, and we love the Garden Festival (not on a weekend though). October would be my second choice, but you won’t avoid crowds. Good luck with your planning!

What would you guys do? My dates are SUPER flexible, I can go basically whenever. Only thing is I don't do well in crowds so I want to avoid spring break and the early summer crowds.

Ist choice would be early May-great weather, lower crowds, and Flower and Garden
2nd choice-late November/early December-crowds may be higher and weather cooler, especially after sndown, but Christmas decorations are so worth it.

Another vote for Nov/Dec. The weather is great, crowds aren’t bad (aside from Thanksgiving), and there are so many holiday experiences to be had. It’s my family’s favorite time at WDW. 😍

most of you are saying december but i can't wait that long loool. i'm so conflicted!! i don't think february will work though... i can't find a room!

I think no matter when you go you will have an awesome time. So what you need to do is a pro/con list with each month and figure what's most important to you, such as weather, experiences or light crowds.

My initial thoughts are if you are looking for a new ride or new experiences, then I'd not go in Feb. as the new M&M runaway railway ride in HS is set to open March 4th; I think the space restaurant and Ratatouille ride opening in Spring so you might hit this if you wait til May. We just went the beginning of August for the first time and the heat wasn't as bad as I thought, it was Hot but bearable except for one or two oppressive days. But the crowds were manageable and even the rain we were able to navigate too. Even though I was reluctive to book during this time, it really was one of our better trips although we also stayed at boardwalk for the first time and loved it there so this may have had something to do with it as well not to mention it was before Star Wars opened. Lesson here is that any time can be your best time, you just have to figure out what one thing is most important and then plan accordingly.

I'd choose May. Aside from February, it's the least crowded time of all your choices. The weather is hot, but not unbearable like August. The risk for a hurricane is extremely low and most ride refurbishments are over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter