When would you travel .... June or August?

kkwis2

DIS Veteran
We are teachers so we have to travel in the summer. It seems there are many of you who have traveled to WDW during the summer months, so I'm hoping you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion.

We plan to drive from Minnesota and stay at Fort Wilderness. We will stay about 8 days (not including travel days) and want to include Sea World this time. Free dining is NOT important to us as we rarely eat in sit-down restaurants and we can cook in the RV at FW.

SO.....when would you go? Mid-June to the end of June or late August? We start back to school on August 30.

TIA for your input!

I would go in June. June in Florida is hot and muggy, but August is insanely hot and muggy!!

I would go late August. The crowds in late June are MUCH worse from everything I've seen and heard. We've taken numerous trips in late August and it hasn't been crowded. (The TS places are crowded though.) The weather can be worse, but IMO the weather in June isn't much better and doesn't make up for the crowds. If you can go the first 2 weeks of June, it's not as bad.

August for sure. The last two weeks in August are great. I've been to the world several times in June, July and August. June was way more crowded then August, and we hit a heat wave during our trip, and the temp was actually much higher than it usually is in August. July-lots of tour groups. At the end of August, most of the tour groups are gone, and lots of kids are heading back to school. My vote: August!:thumbsup2

August, definitely. Both are hot, but June is more crowded (and more expensive) and the sun is more intense.

August! Lower crowds, lower rates and free dining! Hot - yes, but it is hot in June too.

I would go in June. June in Florida is hot and muggy, but August is insanely hot and muggy!!

ITA. I've done both the end of June/beginning of July and end of August/beginning of September when I was younger. August was hotter.

ETA: End of June/beginning of July are going to be busy b/c of July 4th (spent that in Epcot back in 90 and it was crowded). But Summer is going to be crowded either way you look at it due to school being out.

I'd take August for the lighter crowds for certain. Both will be very hot so I'd call the temps a wash. We're in Maine, so you'll feel like 80 is 110 either way just like us.

We did Early Jan this year and it never broke 55 (DIDN'T BREAK 42 ONE DAY LOL!) but we threw on a sweater and ordered ice cream just the same: enjoy!

We did August in 09 and June in 10. Hated August, loved June. The difference in humidity was amazing. Both were hot, but June felt much "lighter."

We will never go again in August, but will definitely be back next June and possibly every June after that.

We stayed at Fort Wilderness last year and it even felt hot there in the shade!

Early to mid June won't be bad. It gets busier towards the end since more kids are getting out of schools. Our schools get out in May, which I understand is earlier than a lot of them so we go early June when many are still in school. Late August will be hotter, I think but I'm not sure about the crowds. We went 6/12-6/19 and the crowds were fairly low except on Monday at MK.

Late August for lower crowds -- hands down! It's going to be hot and humid whether you choose June or August, but the lower crowds make the heat and humidity a little more bearable.

I've been to WDW twice, once in June & once in August. June was hot with a little rain. I was only 13 when I went in August. I don't remember how hot it was, but I remember it rained every afternoon. I don't remember the crowds either, but June wasn't too bad.

I'd go with June.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

It kind sounds like 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another to me. Hotter and more humid but less crowded or not quite as hot (but still very hot and humid) but more people to contend with - and as someone mentioned more expensive.

As of now I think it's a toss up.

Have any of you who have gone in August been affected much by hurricane season. My brother keeps mentioning that that is why August is discounted - who wants to go during hurricane season? I may have to try to talk him into this (he and his wife will be traveling with us). He would prefer to go in March, but then, because of school schedules, we are limited to only one week and we can't drive nor stay at FW.

Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

I always wait until August instead of June/July because I'd spend my entire summer figuring out ways to go back to WDW once I was home. I learned that lesson one year and we've gone in August ever since. :)

I have done late August and mid-June. After the June trip, I vowed never to go that time again. The heat was unbearable (over 100 most days, before the heat index!), and it was crowded. August was actually not as hot, and we never waited more than 15 minutes for a ride.

Just my experience!

I hear a lot of advice to visit Disney in late August because of low crowds. Any reports on early August crowds.

OP thanks for asking this question. I was curious about the same topic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter