When you go on your trips.....

LifeIsTinkIsLife

Mouseketeer
What do you do with your dog/s? I'm debating what I should do with my pup for our weekend trip to DLR and just wondering what other people do! :)

I had dogs before and either left them at a kennel or left them with a friend who my dogs knew well. I did the later on short trips of a few days many times, but used a Kennel on week or longer trips.

We are having my DM take care of the hounds when we drive down at the end of the month for 14 days. She stays at our place, and visits her place to pick up mail and check on the place, and takes care of the hounds and home.

Yeah I can leave her with my dad, but he has two dogs, and she is a puppy so she can be annoying to older dogs. He is excited to have her but I know how much work it's going to be for him. I can't put her in a kennel because she is only up to her 2nd round of shots and still needs her parvo and rabies shots and she can't get them until the 24th. I really just want to bring her with, haha.

our bulldogge goes to a home based kennell that she sometimes visits for the day. (we only have one dog and this keeps her socialized). Honestly she loves it there it is like a vacation for her too. In fact they just picked her up 20 min. ago!

12 hours and we will be on our way:cool1::cool1::banana::banana::banana::banana:

We have taken our dog with us and stayed at Residence Inn. They allow pets. Some hotels do.

Now we use a dog/house sitter who comes to our house 2x a day.

If your are my parents....only one of you goes at a time. The other stays home with the neurotic dog.

We board our dog if we are gone for a week or more. If we are gone for less then that we have a friend stay at our house for us. :) I have a friend who has high school age girls at home, they come stay here while we are gone.

You can take your pup with you but you'll still need those shots before she can stay at the kennel at DLR so your best bet is going to be going to your Dad's. Take toys for her, if she has a pillow or blanket take that and if she has a crate (which I highly suggest for all dogs) take that as well. If she won't leave the older dogs alone your Dad can put her "away" in his room in her crate. If it works out leave her with your Dad anytime you go away. :)

our bulldogge goes to a home based kennell that she sometimes visits for the day. (we only have one dog and this keeps her socialized). Honestly she loves it there it is like a vacation for her too. In fact they just picked her up 20 min. ago!

12 hours and we will be on our way:cool1::cool1::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Oh how exciting! Yeah I bet my pup would love going there, she just isn't allowed to yet because she can get sick! Have a great trip! :thumbsup2

We have taken our dog with us and stayed at Residence Inn. They allow pets. Some hotels do.

Now we use a dog/house sitter who comes to our house 2x a day.

I'll have to check into that in case I do decide to stay there. I am going to miss her! We originally weren't planning on going until our 5 year anniversary, but DBF decided we could afford to go one last time before our passes expire. :cool1:

If your are my parents....only one of you goes at a time. The other stays home with the neurotic dog.

Oh gosh haha that's sad but funny.

We board our dog if we are gone for a week or more. If we are gone for less then that we have a friend stay at our house for us. :) I have a friend who has high school age girls at home, they come stay here while we are gone.

You can take your pup with you but you'll still need those shots before she can stay at the kennel at DLR so your best bet is going to be going to your Dad's. Take toys for her, if she has a pillow or blanket take that and if she has a crate (which I highly suggest for all dogs) take that as well. If she won't leave the older dogs alone your Dad can put her "away" in his room in her crate. If it works out leave her with your Dad anytime you go away. :)

Yeah I didn't know DLR had a kennel for dogs, that's good to know for next time! :) Yeah she does have a crate and I know a lot of people say that's bad but she goes in her crate all the time with the door open when she wants to lay down, she loves it! Yeah I hope it works out! :thumbsup2 I am so excited.

Whatever you do...don't leave the dog in the car. I've seen way to many dogs in cars inside the parking garage in my lifetime.... :-(

We leave our dog with a friend.

I always leave him at the boarding kennels here in my hometown. This past August when my whole family went we left him at the kennels where my good friend works, so she was able to give us live updates on him.

We even Kenneled our Cat at a Kitty Kennel one time for a week!! When all our friends were busy. the Cat hated it, she was mad for about a week after She got home!! :cat:

and please don't pretend you don't know what I mean!!! :rotfl2:

It's the absolute hardest part of going away for us. Without our pup, we would travel SOOOO much more than we do.

We toured and interviewed recommended board and care places. We decided that we were not 110% confident in any of them and could not come to terms with leaving our little boy at them. He's our baby and not one of them, no matter how highly recommended, sat right with us.

We found out that our vet boards. We figured, we trust them with his health, we can trust them with him for a few days. However, at the vet, he is in a crate (which is not the case at home) except for playtimes and "potty walks." Not ideal, but we know he's safe.

We have left him behind 4 times.

1 time was with the vet. We were not thrilled with the option, but as I said above, we knew he would be safe and in great care.

1 time we did a "bandaid" solution. We were gone for 48 hours. We had him in the yard for the day and a neighbor-friend came, played with him, fed him, and put him in the bathroom (i.e. tile floor) over night and let him out again. Not great, but for a short getaway, it worked.

The other 2 times, we were SOOOO amazingly fortunate that our good friends who have 2 dogs offered to take him in and let him join their pack for a week each time. They are "dog people" and although he is not an overly social dog, he managed to find his place amongst their family and pups. We knew he would be safe, very well cared for, given attention, and with people we trust. (The day we came home from our last trip, our pup was asleep on our friend's lap on their couch when we came to pick him up. We KNOW anytime we need to go and they are willing to take him in, we are in luck! We are incredibly fortunate for this option.)

I share these with you in detail to help you start thinking about the options you may not be looking at. We never knew our vet boarded until someone else suggested it. We never thought the "bandaid" solution would work until our friends offered to try it.

One last important thought. We would NEVER be able to enjoy our vacation if we did not KNOW that our pup was safe and with people whose judgement we trust. Find a solution that works for YOU. Our pup is our child. Part of us having a good vacation is knowing that he is being well cared for and safe while we are gone.

HTH,
Dreams

We took our dogs to DL our last trip. After finding out that at our home kennel they wouldn't eat. It is a great option. We stayed at the Motel 6, no extra cost, dogs stay free. We walked them to the DL kennel. Paid $20 a day per dog, which was cheaper than our home kennel. They need to have updated shot records. You do have to visit your pets every 3 to 5 hours for potty breaks. It was definitely a less stressful option for our pets.

Whatever you do...don't leave the dog in the car. I've seen way to many dogs in cars inside the parking garage in my lifetime.... :-(

We leave our dog with a friend.

Wouldn't even think of it! We've left her in the car to run into the store to get a drink or something since it was real nice here, but I would never leave her there for an extended period of time. She loves us and being around people and would feel so abandoned. :guilty:

I always leave him at the boarding kennels here in my hometown. This past August when my whole family went we left him at the kennels where my good friend works, so she was able to give us live updates on him.

Aww that is nice, I think that's what would bother me about putting her in a kennel, when she gets older too. Because she does well with dogs that we've introduced her too but she gets scared soooo easy. I would want to know how she is doing constantly, haha.

We even Kenneled our Cat at a Kitty Kennel one time for a week!! When all our friends were busy. the Cat hated it, she was mad for about a week after She got home!! :cat:

and please don't pretend you don't know what I mean!!! :rotfl2:

Yeah Sophie has been mad at us a few times. She just wants to do everything possible to get our attention directly on her and when it's not she barks and glares. :rolleyes:

It's the absolute hardest part of going away for us. Without our pup, we would travel SOOOO much more than we do.

We toured and interviewed recommended board and care places. We decided that we were not 110% confident in any of them and could not come to terms with leaving our little boy at them. He's our baby and not one of them, no matter how highly recommended, sat right with us.

We found out that our vet boards. We figured, we trust them with his health, we can trust them with him for a few days. However, at the vet, he is in a crate (which is not the case at home) except for playtimes and "potty walks." Not ideal, but we know he's safe.

We have left him behind 4 times.

1 time was with the vet. We were not thrilled with the option, but as I said above, we knew he would be safe and in great care.

1 time we did a "bandaid" solution. We were gone for 48 hours. We had him in the yard for the day and a neighbor-friend came, played with him, fed him, and put him in the bathroom (i.e. tile floor) over night and let him out again. Not great, but for a short getaway, it worked.

The other 2 times, we were SOOOO amazingly fortunate that our good friends who have 2 dogs offered to take him in and let him join their pack for a week each time. They are "dog people" and although he is not an overly social dog, he managed to find his place amongst their family and pups. We knew he would be safe, very well cared for, given attention, and with people we trust. (The day we came home from our last trip, our pup was asleep on our friend's lap on their couch when we came to pick him up. We KNOW anytime we need to go and they are willing to take him in, we are in luck! We are incredibly fortunate for this option.)

I share these with you in detail to help you start thinking about the options you may not be looking at. We never knew our vet boarded until someone else suggested it. We never thought the "bandaid" solution would work until our friends offered to try it.

One last important thought. We would NEVER be able to enjoy our vacation if we did not KNOW that our pup was safe and with people whose judgement we trust. Find a solution that works for YOU. Our pup is our child. Part of us having a good vacation is knowing that he is being well cared for and safe while we are gone.

HTH,
Dreams

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. She's my baby! I have never felt this way about a trip (reluctant? I guess..) because I know I'm gonna miss her. I always think if I'm this way about a dog I wonder how I'll be with a kid, haha. I wish there was some way to dress her up as a child and just keep her in the stroller, but she wouldn't play along. :laughing: I trust my dad the most, I just hope she isn't too tough on him and his schedule or whatever. BUT it's only for three and a half days. Maybe if I miss her too much our trip will feel like it is taking longer! :thumbsup2

We took our dogs to DL our last trip. After finding out that at our home kennel they wouldn't eat. It is a great option. We stayed at the Motel 6, no extra cost, dogs stay free. We walked them to the DL kennel. Paid $20 a day per dog, which was cheaper than our home kennel. They need to have updated shot records. You do have to visit your pets every 3 to 5 hours for potty breaks. It was definitely a less stressful option for our pets.

I think I will definitely do that next time, when she is older and has her shots. $20 is the cheapest I've seen, that's crazy for DLR, haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter