Where’s the Photographer?

scrapycruiser

DIS Veteran
Just purchased the digital photo package for our Southern Caribbean cruise. I want to maximize my investment. Any tips on getting the most pictures ?

What we normally do is to go to as many photo locations as possible. Each day they will list all of the character interactions, photo ops etc. There usually out at least 2x for each character interaction. Each shoot is normally 3-4 pictures so they add up pretty quick.

We have a routine because some of the kids want solo pictures. So first is our DD who was 5, then she steps out for my DS that is 3, then we do a family picture with characters.

There also backdrops and if there isn't a line then we do individuals of kids and parents. We take pictures of mom and child, dad and child, mom and dad, kids, and then our entire family.

The longest lines for the backdrops normally occurs on formal night and pirate night. My tip for formal night is to get into line 10 to 15 minutes before the posted time, stairwell is a favorite picture.

I noticed that people like to line up and not really pay attention to the backdrop they are at. On multiple instances I've noticed 2 backdrops with no lines whatsoever so my family sessions those backdrops until someone gets in line.

We make it a habit to get ready for dinner 30 minutes early and head to the atrium. We go to the shortest photo line and take pics there, then get in a 2nd line....either a short one or a backdrop or character that we really love. We also got in line for a lot of character meet and greets during the days. Also, there are DCL photographers on the shoreline of CC. you don't need your KTTW for those, and those are some of our favorite pics!

It does take an effort. We didn't seek out photographers as often as we should have. There was just so much else going on! I'm happy with the quality of the photos I received, but not the quantity. And they were only actually in the dining room one night. That was a big contrast from on NCL.

On our 7-day Fantasy they were in the MDRs almost every night. We found it good to sit next to different people each night so that we could get different combinations of people, though they would wait if you wanted to change pairings or have the whole group stand together.

I agree the Castaway Cay pictures were great. We found them mostly near the first beach there.

Theoretically there are pictures in the AquaDuck too, but when we were there it was "broken" and my sense from these boards is that it has been broken for a long time, and likely won't be fixed.

The meet and greet photos were great too. Lots of good ones. It's not like you have to get everything, but it is nice to know you can get as many as you want. The lines mostly move quickly except as mentioned, on formal night. We tried not to have too many different shots if more people were waiting but a couple or a few different groupings of people was normal and well accepted. My only advice for that is, if you know you want to have mulitple shots with different subgroups, decide on them ahead of time. People taking multiple poses was no big deal. When it became a bit of an issue was when the group in front of you would take a long time deciding what to do, or trying to coax "Aunt Emma" to join them in this shot. If you rotate people in and out of the shots quickly, they are great at posing and snapping quickly, and yet still having time to interact with the characters.

We found photographers roaming around the family beach at castaway also, these were some of our favorite pics!! We seek them out, as we buy the USB with all the pics, and I scrapbook, so I have to get them. LOL

I believe that DCL uses facial recognition to get those CC photos (without using KTTW card) into your folder. Just a guess, but that is probably why they photograph everyone (that stops) as you board the ship and they ask for a KTTW card then...might even happen when you check in, too. Hang around various photo op locations mentioned above and seek out official photographer at CC if they don't find you. Also, check your photo folder at least every other day. The last day is a zoo and you may find some other folks shots in with yours. There are also some stock photos that Shutters has of the ship and characters to add to your scrapbook, if needed.

I believe that DCL uses facial recognition to get those CC photos (without using KTTW card) into your folder. Just a guess, but that is probably why they photograph everyone (that stops) as you board the ship and they ask for a KTTW card then...might even happen when you check in, too. Hang around various photo op locations mentioned above and seek out official photographer at CC if they don't find you. Also, check your photo folder at least every other day. The last day is a zoo and you may find some other folks shots in with yours. There are also some stock photos that Shutters has of the ship and characters to add to your scrapbook, if needed.

Not every one stops for the boarding photo. But they do use facial recognition.

My husband and I love the pictures. We got about 350 pictures on our last 7day cruise just the two of us. We get in lots of the lines but like everyone says they move quickly except on Formal night. Your best bet there is to choose one of the earlier or later sections not the one near Early Dining. And like others have said go in with a plan. When it is our turn I go in first and take solo shots then my husband joins me and we have couple shots and then I quickly step out so that he can have solo shots. It works great and we get at least 6-10 shots for each occasion without taking up too much extra time. And we like to get the characters in different outfits and then use those to make a calendar for the next year.

If you go to the character breakfast take your own camera or phone because the photographers are not there. Seems like a perfect opportunity for them but for some reason they are not there.

They also didn't have the photographers for the character meets on Castaway Cay because it was the last day. The gangway meets at reboarding time. We didn't make it to the ones earlier in the day.

If you go to the character breakfast take your own camera or phone because the photographers are not there. Seems like a perfect opportunity for them but for some reason they are not there.

We've gone to 4 character breakfasts and have always had the photographers at them. Our last cruise was just 2 months ago.

We've gone to 4 character breakfasts and have always had the photographers at them. Our last cruise was just 2 months ago.

My last one was in dec on the fantasy no photographers at the character breakfast. I have been on too many cruises to get pay for pictures. One time somebody started a thread here are there photographers at the character breakfast. I answered yes. I honestly thought they were there. I Come to pay attention they are not there. Got some comments from people telling me they are not there. Which they were right but I honestly thought they were there. Maybe they have changed it. Seems like a perfect opportunity for them to be there. There are people from the wdt shows that will take your picture but on your camera.

My last one was in dec on the fantasy no photographers at the character breakfast. I have been on too many cruises to get pay for pictures. One time somebody started a thread here are there photographers at the character breakfast. I answered yes. I honestly thought they were there. I Come to pay attention they are not there. Got some comments from people telling me they are not there. Which they were right but I honestly thought they were there. Maybe they have changed it. Seems like a perfect opportunity for them to be there. There are people from the wdt shows that will take your picture but on your camera.

Ooops on my part, you are right. I was thinking the cms with the characters were the photographers. Guess I've never paid that much attention that when we get pics with the characters at the breakfasts, it's always been with our own cameras. Does seem odd that they wouldn't have them there, they come to the MDRs at dinnertime. Must admit I don't really like when they are in the MDRs, seem like they always come right when I have food in my mouth, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter