Where am I going to put this dang crib?

mariolatry

DIS Veteran
...or life is a lot more complicated now that I have to fit a family of 5 in a room.

This is our first trip as a family of 5. My husband is pretty staunchly pro-monorail resort, specifically the Polynesian. One daughter is pretty snobby, as well. All I can think of is all of us hiding in the bathroom, wading for the 18-month-old to fall asleep in the crib. Or climbing over the beds to get around, now that the crib is in the way. Which Deluxe room has the best setup for a crib?

I look at AofA and that looks....doable, although I am afraid of the buses and how thin the walls are. The one time we stayed at Pop Century, a group of wild cheerleaders knocked my elderly mother over at the bus stop, so I am a little nervous about value resorts. I am also thinking of two rooms, one for a parent and two pre-teens and one for a parent and toddler. Maybe I am nuts. Any thoughts?

One of the reasons for this trip is as a reward for my older girls for their patience. They have been very generous of heart on the journey to adopt their new little brother, so I want them to have a little break from him when they can get it. We weren't going to bring him at all but Grandma pooped out on us.

The rooms at the Polynesian are really big and I know you won't have any problems fitting a crib in there. :) It will fit in front of the connecting door or in front of the sliding glass door.

Last edited:
This is why we bought DVC. We get a 2 bedroom so the kids have space and extra bathrooms. Now as a family of 6 it’s even more vital to have that extra room.

It isn't a Deluxe monorail resort ... But Coronado Springs has junior suites that would give you two connecting rooms- one with two queen beds and plenty of room for a crib and the other with a queen sleeper sofa, giving you a separate living area to hang in while the little one naps or falls asleep for the night.

Poly, GF and CR have the largest rooms on property. If you have a balcony or patio you can hang out these waiting for the baby to get to sleep. Note: Poly 2nd floor rooms don’t have balconies. At Poly you’d have to request a patio or 3rd floor.

We've stayed in a suite at AoA four times and have never had an issue with noise. We haven't found the walls to be "paper thin". We heard our neighbors more at the hotels we stayed in on the drive to and from Disney.

As far as bus service, we've always had good luck at AoA. We were there 2 weeks ago and rode the buses at least 4 times a day. 90% of the time we waited less than 5 minutes. Twice we waited 15-20 minutes but both of those times were at Park closing and we expected it. There were numerous times that we walked right on a bus with no waiting at all.

Tour/sports groups don't stay at AoA so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

We stayed at the Poly when our twins were 20 months and our oldest was four.

We fit two pack n plays in the room. No problem. But, we all still pretty much wound up being in bed and quiet when it was time for them to go to bed. That depends on how heavy of a sleeper your baby is.

How old is your baby? Still young enough to not wake up when transferred from stroller to crib?

We have also stayed in the DVC rooms but with older kids you might be better off with two actual queen beds and the day bed. In the DVC rooms, we make one of our kids sleep on a toddler blow up mattress by the door. The kid hates going to bed. Instead of fighting with her we stick her over there with a flashlight. No clue when she falls asleep but at least she isn’t keeping the rest of us up!

We have had a pack n play at the Poly without a problem, In fact we had a pack n play in Pop century without a problem! We now have twins in addition to our DS8 and DS5, and recently returned from a split stay at the YC, BC, and CR and had 2 pack n plays in each room without a real problem. We were able to move around the room even with them set up, and i never felt like they were a huge hassle! So having only one pack n play would seem like we had space galore now!

Poly DVC studio. We put the pack and play in the extra bathroom with the rain shower.

But then of course you’ll have a pull out sofa and mini twin murphy bed instead of the second queen. I think it’s worth it though!

We have had a crib in the room at Poly, CR, GF and AoA. At the CR, we put the crib at the foot of DH and I's bed. That worked fine. At Poly and GF, we had it over by the sliding doors. It fit fine.\

At AoA, we had it in the master bedroom at the foot of the bed. No issues w/space.

Unless you will be happy in the Poly DVC studio (we would not), then I would stay in GF or the CR tower. Either of those would give you a balcony to use during nap time.. If CL is an option, that would be nice as people could take turns hanging out with other kids at the lounge.

We travel with a infant, then baby then a toddler to disney. The crib we usually put between the 2 beds. We always thought we would have to tip toe around the baby but honestly we usually would all fall asleep at night just from exhaustion and we never went bak to the room for breaks/naps we just let the baby sleep in the stroller never had any issues. We also did a 1 bedroom at copper creek one time and that worked out as well but last time we were at the grand and had no issues being in the same room together.

In what world do you all have to wait in the room while baby falls asleep? DH stays with baby, you take the girls out for an ice cream or late night dip in the pool, and then you all come back and slip in quietly after little one is asnooze and go to bed.

Our favorite accommodation on Disney property with little ones is a one bedroom villa at old key west. It’s over 900 sq feet. Almost twice as big as an AoA suite.

We just stayed in one last week. We had 6 people in our party and never felt crowded. Our 18 month old slept in the bathroom section with the tub. The bathrooms are sectioned off so that one part has the shower, sink, toilet, and there is a separate section with a sink and soaking tub. Our 4 year old slept on an air mattress in the bedroom with my husband and I in the bed. My mom and sister slept in the living area on the pull out.

When you’re traveling with a little one, one of you will probably spend more time in the room than you normally would, so it’s nice to have the extra space. The kitchen and laundry were nice to have too. There is a high chair in the unit too. We usually fed our 18 month old breakfast and dinner in the villa so this was great. She also had a great time in the soaking tub.

Disney tends to discount the one bedrooms at old key west pretty nicely. For our dates, it was only about $25 more per night than an AoA suite. With the one bedroom we got almost twice the square footage. We like the buses at old key west - they are almost never full. The rides to the MK and Epcot are both very short.

If you end up going with a one bedroom at OKW, request a room that has two entrances to the bathroom.

Poly DVC studio. The extra bathroom is perfect as a "nursery". You can close the door and let the baby sleep in there in the crib while you all go about your business and STILL have your own bathroom.

Our favorite accommodation on Disney property with little ones is a one bedroom villa at old key west. It’s over 900 sq feet. Almost twice as big as an AoA suite.

We just stayed in one last week. We had 6 people in our party and never felt crowded. Our 18 month old slept in the bathroom section with the tub. The bathrooms are sectioned off so that one part has the shower, sink, toilet, and there is a separate section with a sink and soaking tub. Our 4 year old slept on an air mattress in the bedroom with my husband and I in the bed. My mom and sister slept in the living area on the pull out.

When you’re traveling with a little one, one of you will probably spend more time in the room than you normally would, so it’s nice to have the extra space. The kitchen and laundry were nice to have too. There is a high chair in the unit too. We usually fed our 18 month old breakfast and dinner in the villa so this was great. She also had a great time in the soaking tub.

Disney tends to discount the one bedrooms at old key west pretty nicely. For our dates, it was only about $25 more per night than an AoA suite. With the one bedroom we got almost twice the square footage. We like the buses at old key west - they are almost never full. The rides to the MK and Epcot are both very short.

If you end up going with a one bedroom at OKW, request a room that has two entrances to the bathroom.

I agree that the most reasonable option might be OKW. I know that when I was planning for our crew and wanted space this resort had the most options with the best pricing. I admit I did not even look at SSR, I don't like that resort so it may have been less expensive.

OP- look at resorts and locations that give you more mobility and things to do in the area if you are going to avoid the villas. I like the Poly if you have your heart set on a monorail resort. Request a patio, and be surprised at the space that allows.

We stayed at the Poly and squeezed an inflatable twin size mattress in there next to the day bed. We had enough room to go by and get out the door to sit on the patio (first floor) and then sneak back in after the kids were asleep. Most of the time we were all so tired from walking all day that it really wasn't a hardship to go to bed at the same time as the kids.

I agree that the most reasonable option might be OKW. I know that when I was planning for our crew and wanted space this resort had the most options with the best pricing. I admit I did not even look at SSR, I don't like that resort so it may have been less expensive.

OP- look at resorts and locations that give you more mobility and things to do in the area if you are going to avoid the villas. I like the Poly if you have your heart set on a monorail resort. Request a patio, and be surprised at the space that allows.

When looking at one bedrooms I don’t consider any villa resort except OKW. The one bedrooms at SSR and other resorts I’ve seen don’t even compare in terms of size.

We’ve stayed in a Polynesian studio as a family of 3, and would consider it as a family of 4, but when paying cash with a discount, a one bedroom villa at OKW is less expensive than a studio at the Poly. While we have napping/early to bed toddlers, I’ll take the space, full kitchen, and laundry in the one bedroom any day. When our youngest is out of a crib, we’ll do Poly again.

When looking at one bedrooms I don’t consider any villa resort except OKW. The one bedrooms at SSR and other resorts I’ve seen don’t even compare in terms of size.

We’ve stayed in a Polynesian studio as a family of 3, and would consider it as a family of 4, but when paying cash with a discount, a one bedroom villa at OKW is less expensive than a studio at the Poly. While we have napping/early to bed toddlers, I’ll take the space, full kitchen, and laundry in the one bedroom any day. When our youngest is out of a crib, we’ll do Poly again.

OKW would be my first thought as well. I have a 2 bdrm booked and cannot match the price anywhere, not even close. I meant that if the OP ended up looking at rooms vs villas they might consider options that gave them opportunities to get out of the room itself, and if they needed to split up with the kids when the baby was sleeping, but wanted to remain close by having plenty to do in the vicinity is key.

It isn't a Deluxe monorail resort ... But Coronado Springs has junior suites that would give you two connecting rooms- one with two queen beds and plenty of room for a crib and the other with a queen sleeper sofa, giving you a separate living area to hang in while the little one naps or falls asleep for the night.

They cost as much as a 1BR DVC in most cases, we've looked at them but couldn't justify it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter